Rum point

AmandaAnn718

hi, we're going to be in Grand Cayman in a couple weeks with 10,000 other guests (eek!!) We were thinking of just trying to take a cab over to rum point, is that possible? About how long will it take, and are cabs waiting there to return to the ship or do I have to arrange that with the driver before he leaves us? Thanks for any help :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We went there with a rental car. Loved it. I did not see any cabs waiting to take people back. You might need to make arrangements in advance for this. There were that many people in port when we were there and Rum Point was relatively quiet.

Did you think about driving?

Rum Point is approximately a 45 minute to an hour drive from the port area, each way. A taxi for up to three people would be about $80 US each way, and you would definitely need to prearrange the return trip (and keep your fingers crossed) as there are no taxis in the area for the return trip. A rental car or excursion is a much better way of getting to/from Rum Point when visiting Cayman by cruise ship.

I have also been researching how to get to Rum Point. I really dont want to rent a car and a cab is way too much but I did find this:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanIslandJeepTour.htm

I have not used them so cannot recommend them yet. There is also a company called Cayman Safari I believe that has a tour there.

Steve

Edited by WNcruiser

I have also been researching how to get to Rum Point. I really dont want to rent a car and a cab is way too much but I did find this:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/CaymanIslandJeepTour.htm

I have not used them so cannot recommend them yet. There is also a company called Cayman Safari I believe that has a tour there.

Steve

A couple years ago we toke a jeep tour (do not remember the name - sorry) and it was wonderful. We did stop at Rum Point, but, only for about 30-40 minutes. Then it was on to the next point of interest. So if some beach time there is what you are looking for, I wouldn't go with this type of tour.

There are no tours to Rum Point WHY? It's really nice. I have been there before ,rented a car. Don't want to drive this time. Anyone know if there is a private tour or boat ride?

Edited by leela8

There are no tours to Rum Point WHY? It's really nice. I have been there before ,rented a car. Don't want to drive this time. Anyone know if there is a private tour or boat ride?

:D ;) 'cause those of us with houses there are greedy and don't want to share the beautiful beaches...?

Actually, there are a number of excursions that include a stop there...Nativeway's "Rays, Reef and Rum Point" tour and one of the Cayman Safari excursions come to mind immediately, and I'm sure there are others. I don't know of any excursions that only go there, since it's a long drive for beach time when Seven Mile Beach is so close.

A couple years ago we toke a jeep tour (do not remember the name - sorry) and it was wonderful. We did stop at Rum Point, but, only for about 30-40 minutes. Then it was on to the next point of interest. So if some beach time there is what you are looking for, I wouldn't go with this type of tour.

The jeep tour on Cayman Safari gives you 3 hours at Rum Point. That would be plenty of sun and snorkeling for us:)