100 year old menus from cunard..

WINEMANVISALIA

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be 1st class? Or 2nd? First I would assume by the number of courses.

And i think Broiled Turkey might be because they did Turkey parts and not the whole bird? Or Roasted with a "kewl name" because Broiled was something new?

T

Thank you so much for posting those menus. They're very interesting! I remember looking at the menus on my our first cruise on our honeymoon in 1979. The foods were very English and we had no idea what they were, so our waiter just brought us what he thought we would like.

Maybe "boiled" is actually "poached"?... I don't think halibut would "boil" successfully...

salted/dried halibut does - its done in milk. :D I had it when I lived in Paris... wait, maybe it was dry salted salmon I had..

How interesting! Thanks for the link! It's cool to see what kind of food was chosen for the current storage technology available. I saw on one of the first menus on the first page that it was noted for service a la russe - I'm guessing that this would be a first class menu since service a la russe was very stylish at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Cunard has a great exibit on the Queen Mary II where they have lots of mementos from the olden days including menus. Unfortunately, the current menus do not quite measure-up to those old menus.

There is an old tale about a Lady and her Gentleman who were dining in the Queens Grill on the original Queen Mary. The Gentleman decided to test the waiter and chef and hence told his waiter he wanted "Elephant Steak." The waiter, without missing a beat replied, "would that be African or Indian."

Hank

• 3 months later...

Archived