Grand Turk Pool

magic&buddy

I usually agree with you on everything... and i have a one year old grandson also. But , i would never, ever take him in a public pool. It is unsanitary for him and those that are in the pool.

My daughter uses a swim diaper for this and she is ok with this and she is very careful with the kids. Going back there in Jan with 3 1/2 year old (out of diapers) and 15 month old who will be in diapers.

Please tell me why she would be wrong.

My daughter uses a swim diaper for this and she is ok with this and she is very careful with the kids. Going back there in Jan with 3 1/2 year old (out of diapers) and 15 month old who will be in diapers.

Please tell me why she would be wrong.

Per this website:

Swimming with the diapered set poses some basic problems for both baby and other swimmers. Swim diapers offer one way to comfort others in the pool, but the diapers aren't a foolproof solution to preventing disease transmitted through feces. Swim diapers incorporate features to help delay the release of fecal residue into the pool water. Due to the basic design of all diapers, however, dangerous micro particles still sneak out into the pool water. A 2009 study conducted by the National Swimming Pool Foundation found that swim diapers were most effective within the first two minutes of a diaper contribution.

Baby diarrhea poses the risk Cryptosporidium infections because the swim design allows liquids to flow more freely through the diaper materials, reports the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Crypto germs cause diarrhea, and the outer shell of the germ can live for days in pools --- even with the correct chlorination, the CDC reports.

Basically, you're relying on the parent to quickly notice that the baby has had a bowel movement and remove the baby from the pool within a couple of minutes of the bowel movement, and hoping that it is't a liquidy one.

Ok, I will start. Does anyone really think that a baby, toddler or anyone in diapers belongs in a public pool? I know you want the little one to enjoy themselves on a vacation but any diaper, even the swim ones leak. Also, anyone up to 3 years will not remember the fun they had. The fun is for the parents who remember the times on the cruise. PLEASE PARENTS, for all our health sakes, keep the water times for the little ones for the big pool, the ocean. Even slosh in the tubs if you have one. I do not go in the kiddy pools, any opinions?

Ok, I will start. Does anyone really think that a baby, toddler or anyone in diapers belongs in a public pool? I know you want the little one to enjoy themselves on a vacation but any diaper, even the swim ones leak. Also, anyone up to 3 years will not remember the fun they had. The fun is for the parents who remember the times on the cruise. PLEASE PARENTS, for all our health sakes, keep the water times for the little ones for the big pool, the ocean. Even slosh in the tubs if you have one. I do not go in the kiddy pools, any opinions?

So basically you're saying that small children shouldn't be allowed to have fun in a pool. And because little ones might not "remember the fun they had" - (how do you know?) - they shouldn't be allowed to have any fun? Wow.

Off the baby in the pool subject, does anyone know if the pool at Grand Turk has been refinished?

We were there Sept 2013 and the pool was in DIRE NEED to be redone. Chipped, cracked and missing tiles and tired and worn all around.

We were very disappointed vs our previous visits to Margarittaville in Grand Turk........oh and bring a FAT wallet it is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Next visit we hike down the beach to Jack's Shack.

In that case better stay out of all pools. How many people stay in pools with swimup bars for hours.:(

Don't think I have ever known of an adult pooping in the pool. It's the feces in the pool that will contaminate it. And swim diapers will not keep runny poop from getting in the water.

So I agree with the others who are asking that you keep your babies out of the adult pool.

Don't think I have ever known of an adult pooping in the pool. It's the feces in the pool that will contaminate it. And swim diapers will not keep runny poop from getting in the water.

So I agree with the others who are asking that you keep your babies out of the adult pool.

Just cause you don't know about it, doesn't mean it has not happened to some degree. And all of those folks that hang out or near the swim up bar, every single one of them gets outta the pool to " relieve themselves" right? I mean, thats just good clean fun is it not???

So I would ask that you keep your drunks out of the pool......

Edited by bar1068

I have actually been on a few cruises where babies pooped in the pool. The pools had to be closed for the entire day to be sanitized. On one cruise there was diaper gel all over the pool. Babies that are not yet potty trained do not belong in pools.

So basically you're saying that small children shouldn't be allowed to have fun in a pool. And because little ones might not "remember the fun they had" - (how do you know?) - they shouldn't be allowed to have any fun? Wow.

So are you saying that a 1-year-old's "fun" is more important than the health of everyone else that uses that pool?

So are you saying that a 1-year-old's "fun" is more important than the health of everyone else that uses that pool?

Exactly!

No one saying that adults never pee in the pools. Don't like to think about that.

I have also been on a cruise where baby poop got in the adult pool. Took forever to drain, sanitize, and refill the pool.

OP:

If the pool on Grand Turk allows babies/toddlers in swim diapers... it doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks about taking the little ones in the pool. We can all choose whether or not to enter a pool that allows swim diapers. There is no reason for anyone to jump all over you for asking if it is allowed.

It is allowed, which is why I don't go in. I don't go in the ship's pools/hot tubs anymore either.

One time I saw a mom, dad and toddler in the pool at Grand Turk. The little girl had a runny nose and mom wiped it off with her hand, then "rinsed" her hand off in the pool. Yuck.

Edited by KenMo

The ship rule about " no kids in swim diapers allowed in pool " isn't from the cruise line. It's from the CDC. If you read about the 26 kids in Atlanta in the late 90s who were ill (7 hospitalized, 1 died ) from e coli in a baby pool at a water park, it's not worth the risk to allow little ones who aren't potty trained into adult pool or kiddie pool, even with swim diapers. If you google " e coli tragedy in Atlanta " you can read the story. It does say pools are getting tested more and more chlorine is being added, but that's here in USA. Don't know about Caribbean islands.

I'm not trying to make choices for others, I really didn't know how dangerous this practice was until I read this story and checked it out and just wanted to share what I learned.

Edited by bluehenfan

I teach swim lessons. I teach mostly kids 4 and under. Kids under the age of 3 are required to wear a re-usable (not disposable) swim diaper in our facility. These use elastic and contain the waste quite well, in my experience (teaching full time for 4 years). The last conference I was at I heard something alarming, "more fecal matter is introduced to the pool environment by adults not cleansing correctly than by infants." That gave me chills. Not trying to get flamed, but I swim in a pool with babies all the time and I've never been seriously ill because of it. I honestly thought the policy was because of liability due to not having lifeguards and parent supervision being hard to count on.

Off the baby in the pool subject, does anyone know if the pool at Grand Turk has been refinished?

We were there Sept 2013 and the pool was in DIRE NEED to be redone. Chipped, cracked and missing tiles and tired and worn all around.

We were very disappointed vs our previous visits to Margarittaville in Grand Turk........oh and bring a FAT wallet it is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Next visit we hike down the beach to Jack's Shack.

we were at Jack's last year and what a hole in the wall. but everyone was going for cheap drinks and I guess they were good. we had to rent chairs and their food was over priced and their highly advertised conch was out by 11 am. how could that be?? we will stay down by Mville this time.

I teach swim lessons. I teach mostly kids 4 and under. Kids under the age of 3 are required to wear a re-usable (not disposable) swim diaper in our facility. These use elastic and contain the waste quite well, in my experience (teaching full time for 4 years). The last conference I was at I heard something alarming, "more fecal matter is introduced to the pool environment by adults not cleansing correctly than by infants." That gave me chills. Not trying to get flamed, but I swim in a pool with babies all the time and I've never been seriously ill because of it. I honestly thought the policy was because of liability due to not having lifeguards and parent supervision being hard to count on.

I did a lot of swimming at the local Y for hip rehab and some of those old folks have so many mobility issues, that explains why the chemical levels are insane.