Summer Airfare to London

psygist

I am in the process of searching for airfare, Washington to London, for next summer (July). I am finding airfare in the $1000 to $1100 range.

So that I can determine what is reasonable to pay, I am interested in knowing what anyone has paid for RT airfare from Washington DC to London this past July, or from any East Coast city to London during the past few months. Thanks.

Dear Paul:

I came across your post while I was looking for some information and thought I would say hello.

We have also found that airfares next summer are quite a bit higher than we found this summer for our trip on the Legend. For our trip to Italy next summer, we are seeing airfares about $ 1500. to $ 1600. from Kentucky.

You might want to check out Maxjet. I think they fly to Stansted from Dulles. You could go to England in their business class for the same price as we are finding for economy class to Italy.

We enjoyed seeing you this summer and hope your family is well.

PaulS

I am in the process of searching for airfare, Washington to London, for next summer (July). I am finding airfare in the $1000 to $1100 range.

So that I can determine what is reasonable to pay, I am interested in knowing what anyone has paid for RT airfare from Washington DC to London this past July, or from any East Coast city to London during the past few months. Thanks.

I have the distinct feeling that that is waht it is going to be...high.My daughter who loves in LA and goes to London 3 or 3 times a year as her BF lives there pays from the high 600's to the high 800's in searching for fares.Thje BF just flew here(MD) in Aug. from London to IAD and paid about 875 American,but they are both finding fares going up as the Fall comes on. I am flying to Paris in Nov. for 860 direct and that has gone up and nondirect already.No quick trips anymore...go and stay would ne my motto!!!!:D Hope this helps a little.

I already booked my air for my July 2008 Baltic cruise:

LAX to Stockholm, Heathrow to LAX--$1273...

It is what it is...

I can't afford to wait around to see if prices come down since we're doing the other ticket on AA frequent flyer miles...and I don't want to be shut out on my flights...

But, we've gone to Europe most Julys/Augusts the past several years...and we've learned never to expect any great price drops in airfare (unless there's a major international crisis like 9/11 or the war in Iraq breaking out)...But, for the most part, the airlines have learned that they can fill up flights in July and August...most of the US is on "summer vacation"...Supply and demand...

For sales and good prices, you've got to be going in February-April...

Throw in that most airlines are hurting a little, the price of fuel has skyrocketed and that the US Dollar has taken a major hit in foreign currency markets...and you're just not going to find cheap airfare...

Again, it is what it is...

Has anyone tried Aer Lingus? I've found their fares to be less expensive to London and when I called had very good service from the agent who fielded my call. We're going next August and need one-way ticket since we're doing a TA return. Prices were significantly less than other airlines.

I just checked bestfares.com, and they have a BIG Europe airfare going on right now.

I checked Washington, DC to all London airports and came up with $598 roundrtip for next June. You probably have to add about $200 for taxes, etc., and you have to join, which is $60 a year.

The fares were posted this morning, 9/22/07, and are good for 10 months from today.

Good luck!

When we went to Europe in 2006 I waited until after January to book our June flights and I was rewarded with saving nearly $1000 for 4 people. I think most airlines drop their prices after the Christmas holidays. I highly doubt that airfares will go up over what they are posting now for Summer 2008.

I have my eye on Virgin Atlantic for our June 2008 cruise out of Harwick, they have a London/Las Vegas non-stop that is perfect for us.

Hey a couple of my favorites here, Peggy and Margie!

We are flying Aer Lingus in 5 weeks from Chicago to Dublin and then on to London Heathrow. I paid about $800 per person for our airfare from a smaller midwestern city. Of course, since my flight is an open jaw flight due to our transatlantic sailing it is not a regular flight.

I got an email this week from British Airways with some very inexpensive rates from selected cities. So, I imagine that Peggy is spot on because the other airlines usually follow suit.

jc

• 3 weeks later...

I just got two from Charlotte to LGW for $1,1200; it was almost half price. Was on late at night 11 PM us air, it originally was $2,200 for two.

• 2 weeks later...

Air is expensive. I finally bit the bullet and booked. $1280 for Utah-Amsterdam and then from Rome back to Utah. I added a flight from Amsterdam to London and then London to Rome on for about $120 total.

So for $1400 we are flying:

Utah-Amsterdam (staying 9 nights)

Amsterdam-London (staying 3 nights)

London-Rome (staying 3 nights pre-cruise which is another 12 days)

Rome-Utah

For July 2007, we paid $998 from Detroit to London. Got that fare (NW) in mid-March, and that was about the best it ever was. From east coast cities, fares seemed to stay about $900 through the spring. BTW, BWI seemed to be about the cheapest eastcoast gateway.

:) planning to do tampa to detroit to gatwick in aug of 08 for our cruise and I have never flown Northwest and was wondering how was their service? thanx..

For July 2007, we paid $998 from Detroit to London. Got that fare (NW) in mid-March, and that was about the best it ever was. From east coast cities, fares seemed to stay about $900 through the spring. BTW, BWI seemed to be about the cheapest eastcoast gateway.

Today, I booked 2 RT from Washington (Dulles) to London (Heathrow) on FF miles. United told me that plenty of FF seats were available on every flight from Washington, D.C. You need 50,000 miles for a free RT and United will give you 25,000 for just getting their credit card. The miles can really add up fast - IMHO. You can even "give miles" to someone, so the more people in a family that get the credit card the more free miles.

We are part of a group that is flying rd. trip from Tampa to London next July for a 14 day cruise. Our airfare is 1,132.00 per but that includes transfers from London to Southampton which probably costs that 132.00 portion of the trip. Summer is tourist season in Europe afterall!

:) would you happen to be flying with BA out of Tampa non stop by any chance? If so did your group get a "group rate"?

We are part of a group that is flying rd. trip from Tampa to London next July for a 14 day cruise. Our airfare is 1,132.00 per but that includes transfers from London to Southampton which probably costs that 132.00 portion of the trip. Summer is tourist season in Europe afterall!

:) would you happen to be flying with BA out of Tampa non stop by any chance? If so did your group get a "group rate"?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question at this time. The travel agent in Pa. is handling those details. I assume she is getting a "bulk" rate but I don't know that at this time. She has however, quoted a firm price on the air.

We used United miles to get from Chicago to London for our 7/12/08 Sea Princess cruise. All the tickets I priced were about $1,200. 50,000 miles for the ticket, and we get to fly in two days early and stay one day extra. I figured it was a good use of miles. Normally it is 25,000 for a U.S. trip and you can fly a lot of places in the U.S. for less than $600.

I just discovered that the travel agent is using NCL's air-sea program in order to include transfers to Southampton! I really am surprised because the $1,232 per person is quite reasonable.......considering this is right in the middle of "tourist season" (July).

Awe Dave, I thought you were a gambling man. Wall Street Journal said oil is going to dump. I'm still taking a chance until after the first of the year. Still looking at the currency exchange investment. This is getting tricky.

Awe Dave, I thought you were a gambling man. Wall Street Journal said oil is going to dump. I'm still taking a chance until after the first of the year. Still looking at the currency exchange investment. This is getting tricky.
Hey Ray - the price just went up again today to $1122. - I hope oil prices do dump - I am a gambling man - but, seems like I always lose.:eek::o

Archived