Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hi

I would like affordable excursion recommendations by private vehicle or small group Nov 23 in Ashdod and Nov 24 in Haifa. My wife is disabled and needs use of a roller walker or wheelchair depending on terrain. I have gotten quotes of close to $1200 for the two day trips which I hope can be beat. Any recommendations?

We will be on the Celebrity Silhouette. Please reply preferable also to my email at rsilb3@hotmail.com. Thank you. Bob

Hi

I would like affordable excursion recommendations by private vehicle or small group Nov 23 in Ashdod and Nov 24 in Haifa. My wife is disabled and needs use of a roller walker or wheelchair depending on terrain. I have gotten quotes of close to $1200 for the two day trips which I hope can be beat. Any recommendations?

We will be on the Celebrity Silhouette. Please reply preferable also to my email at rsilb3@hotmail.com. Thank you. Bob

You have an excellent price quote for a private, guided 2 day tour. If you want to reduce the price per person, then ask on your cruise roll call for others to join your tour. Have a great trip!

Hi Ruth

Preceding our day in Haifa we have two exhausting days in Cairo and Alexandria and then two days in Jerusalem and the area. In Haifa I would like to have a relaxing time with my wife and two adult children. There for the day any suggestions on how to accomplish the laid back day?

Thanks

Ross

Tipping in Israel is now 15%-20% in any kind of decent large city eatery. Maybe 12-15% in smaller towns. 10% only flies in really small perifery towns, but it sill stinks of cheapie. I have lived in Israel sine 1974

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Note that taxi drivers do not get a tip, unless they handle large suitcases for you.

Also, take a careful look at your restaurant bill- many add a service charge. In that case, you can either reduce your tip, or cross out the service charge and tip accordingly. I often find a handwritten note (with a smiley face, of course) at the bottom of my bill, saying that service is not included.

Tipping in Israel is now 15%-20% in any kind of decent large city eatery. Maybe 12-15% in smaller towns. 10% only flies in really small perifery towns, but it sill stinks of cheapie. I have lived in Israel sine 1974

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thank you How about with Tour Guides. It is my understanding like taxi cabs, they dont "usually" get tips and if they do it is generally small. Is this true?

Thank you How about with Tour Guides. It is my understanding like taxi cabs, they dont "usually" get tips and if they do it is generally small. Is this true?

I can't imagine that is true! I've learned from these boards - and now personally follow when touring around the world- that both the guide and driver each receive a tip. I'm hoping that someone who has cruised and toured in Israel recently will chime in with detailed information, but I am sure the tips are not small.

I can't imagine that is true! I've learned from these boards - and now personally follow when touring around the world- that both the guide and driver each receive a tip. I'm hoping that someone who has cruised and toured in Israel recently will chime in with detailed information, but I am sure the tips are not small.

Thanks so much! Having been in the service business for many years in my youth, I "always" tip anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth I need some help with a recommended itinerary: We dock in Ashdod at noon on 11/22, and ship leaves/sales to Haifa at 10:00 pm on 11/23. We plan to spend the night in Jerusalem on 11/22. Of Course we want to see the Western Wall & tunnels, Jewish Quarter, Arab Market, Masada, Dead Sea, Yad Vashim. We are planning to hire a tour guide that will pick us up from the ship and drop us back...So here are the questions: 1. Where to go to get a taste of Jerusalem night life? 2. What other sites can we pack into our itinerary? Also, if we are returned to the ship around sundown on Shabbat, is there anywhere to shop, eat, drink in Ashdod on Shabbat?

Ruth I need some help with a recommended itinerary: We dock in Ashdod at noon on 11/22, and ship leaves/sales to Haifa at 10:00 pm on 11/23. We plan to spend the night in Jerusalem on 11/22. Of Course we want to see the Western Wall & tunnels, Jewish Quarter, Arab Market, Masada, Dead Sea, Yad Vashim. We are planning to hire a tour guide that will pick us up from the ship and drop us back...So here are the questions: 1. Where to go to get a taste of Jerusalem night life? 2. What other sites can we pack into our itinerary? Also, if we are returned to the ship around sundown on Shabbat, is there anywhere to shop, eat, drink in Ashdod on Shabbat?

Hi- apologies because this will be a quick reply- I'm busy packing :D

Regarding night life in Jerusalem, there is a pretty good bar scene a few minute's walk from Zion Square, on the blocks around Yoel Solomon, and also in the Feingold Courtyard. For a bit more edge, on some side streets off the other side of Jaffa there is another area of bars. For restaurants, just walk down Jaffa toward the Old City- the road is lined with cafes, as are the side streets. You can also check out the Ben Yehudah pedestrian mall, where there are often street performers- it will be pretty lively on Thursday night.

For your day's itinerary, see if you can fit in a visit to the Machane Yehudah farmers market. We love it, and are there at least once a week. Other than that, your itinerary seems pretty full, but I'm sure your guide can offer suggestions; I'm actually wondering if you can fit it all in!

I'm not familiar with Ashdod restaurants, but I just did a Google search for restaurants in Ashdod open on Shabbat, and it looks like there is a choice, but I don't know how far they are from the port, or how easy it will be to get a taxi back to the port (although I guess the restaurant could call one for you). Supermarkets and almost all grocery stores and clothing stores will likely be closed by mid-afternoon, but there is one chain of grocery stores that will be open, if you can locate them (CC rules prevent me from mentioning them by name, but google is your friend ;-)). If you contact your guide in advance, he/she should be able to come up with a few suggestions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm crunched for time! Enjoy your cruise, and enjoy Israel!

Edited by happy trailer

Hi- apologies because this will be a quick reply- I'm busy packing :D

Regarding night life in Jerusalem, there is a pretty good bar scene a few minute's walk from Zion Square, on the blocks around Yoel Solomon, and also in the Feingold Courtyard. For a bit more edge, on some side streets off the other side of Jaffa there is another area of bars. For restaurants, just walk down Jaffa toward the Old City- the road is lined with cafes, as are the side streets. You can also check out the Ben Yehudah pedestrian mall, where there are often street performers- it will be pretty lively on Thursday night.

For your day's itinerary, see if you can fit in a visit to the Machane Yehudah farmers market. We love it, and are there at least once a week. Other than that, your itinerary seems pretty full, but I'm sure your guide can offer suggestions; I'm actually wondering if you can fit it all in!

I'm not familiar with Ashdod restaurants, but I just did a Google search for restaurants in Ashdod open on Shabbat, and it looks like there is a choice, but I don't know how far they are from the port, or how easy it will be to get a taxi back to the port (although I guess the restaurant could call one for you). Supermarkets and almost all grocery stores and clothing stores will likely be closed by mid-afternoon, but there is one chain of grocery stores that will be open, if you can locate them (CC rules prevent me from mentioning them by name, but google is your friend ;-)). If you contact your guide in advance, he/she should be able to come up with a few suggestions.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm crunched for time! Enjoy your cruise, and enjoy Israel!

Thanks!!! Have a great trip

• 3 weeks later...

Dear fellow CC'ers,

I am sorry to say that I am dismayed and disappointed. There have been almost 80,000 views of this thread, with dozens of people asking for help and advice on visiting Israel, yet not one person has thought to ask if the Israeli posters who have been carefully and happily answering your questions are safe.

In the past week, over 800 rockets and missiles, many of which were supplied by Iran, have been fired into Israel. Missiles have been fired at Tel Aviv, and for the first time since since 1970, at Jerusalem. Air raid sirens have been sounding several times a day.

Yet this board remains quiet.

When Egyptians rose up as part of the Arab Spring movement, there were dozens and dozens of posts and threads wishing the Egyptian people luck, and hopes they were safe.

I am currently cruising solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic, and finding it unbearably difficult to be apart from my husband, who remains home in Israel.

To Marian, Miriam, Moti, and all of our other Israeli posters - I hope you and your families are safe.

To all of you who have posted questions and comments on this board- well...I guess I best be silent.

Edited by happy trailer

I have not posted on this thread before but I agree with Happy Trailer. I wish her and all of the people in Israel a safe and peaceful existance. You cannot continue to turn your head when rockets continue to be sent by Hamas into Israel without a response.

Dear fellow CC'ers,

I am sorry to say that I am dismayed and disappointed. There have been almost 80,000 views of this thread, with dozens of people asking for help and advice on visiting Israel, yet not one person has thought to ask if the Israeli posters who have been carefully and happily answering your questions are safe.

In the past week, over 800 rockets and missiles, many of which were supplied by Iran, have been fired into Israel. Missiles have been fired at Tel Aviv, and for the first time since since 1970, at Jerusalem. Air raid sirens have been sounding several times a day.

When Egyptians rose up as part of the Arab Spring movement, there were dozens and dozens of posts and threads wishing the Egyptian people luck, and hopes they were safe.

I am currently cruising solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic, and finding it unbearably difficult to be apart from my husband, who remains home in Israel.

To Marian, Miriam, Moti, and all of our other Israeli posters - I hope you and your families are safe.

To all of you who have posted questions and comments on this board- well...I guess I best be silent.

I haven't been on this thread for a few years but for some reason it just came through on my email. Our hearts go out to all of you. Please know we have been praying for all of you daily for peace and protection. When we were there a few years ago the heart of Israel wants peace. Know that we will continue to pray that you will be protected and be able to protect your country. So sorry things have been quite on this board. I can understand your disappointment.

Ruth – First of all, I am glad to hear that you are alright and sincerely hope everyone else is safe and unharmed. I am one of those individuals that has posted here numerous times and was concerned when I read the news. However I was not in a position to expression my concerns immediately. Also, I believe others are concerned and for some unknown reason, have not indicated so. You mentioned that your husband is in Israel. Is he, your family and others also safe? It would be nice to also hear from the others that they are safe and unharmed.

Betty

Ruth, I wasn't sure if you were checking in regularly on this thread anymore, but I have been thinking of you in recent days and wondering how you are faring. I'm so sorry to hear that you have been apart from your husband and away from Israel while all this has been going on. I'm sure you have been very worried.

I am watching the news anxiously and hoping there is still a chance that things will not escalate. I hope you and your family and all of the local posters remain safe and out of harm's way.

Dear fellow CC'ers,

Hi Ruth!

I'm also stuck overseas, away from my family in israel!!

(i'm helping my mom make aliyah!! :) )

I head back right after Thanksgiving!! in the meantime, i get especially nervous whenever the phone rings!!

Edited by alaska_planner

Dear fellow CC'ers,

Dear Ruth, thanks for your concern!

We've just come back last week from Florida after a TA cruise - just on time to be at home for... this :).

Which I am very happy about.. Of course I don't mean that I am happy about.. this, but that we are at least AT HOME while this is happening..

(and by the way - home is "somewhere in Gush Dan")

Personally, I did get many mails of concern from friends and acquaintances; maybe not enough... but still..;)

wishing you a very good cruise and a safe journey home!

(and peace and quiet for us all!)

Miriam

Hello. I just found this thread and wanted to say that I have been to Israel (Haifa) and really enjoyed my time there. My husband has a company that he deals with there as well. I have been really worried about everyone over there. I am a Baha'i and have many friends in Haifa. My daughter also has a good friend that lives near Gaza. She is Canadian. We have been very worried about her as well. We were trying to find out how long it is from Gaza to her town. I think it starts with a B.

I really want to go back to Israel, just not sure if I will be able to but hope that everyone is safe and things improve. You all will be in my prayers.

tigercat

• 2 weeks later...

Since I believe that none of you reside in Haifa, I have not asked any precise questions. However, since the City of Haifa, Israel Government Tourism Office, Egged, and ILAN-Israel have been non responsive, I'm hoping that one of you can get the information we are requesting. Below is the request I have sent to the various places:

We will be arriving in Haifa on a cruise ship and would like to see some of the sites there rather than take a conventional tour to one of the nearby places. However, we do have some mobility issues. Two of us require the use of mobility scooters and the third lady has limited walking.

We would like to utilize the public transportation. Two of the bus routes (#17 and #113) we are considering are on the list of accessible buses and the third one (#32) is not. On Egged website, they indicate to call for extent of accessibility. We will not have any way to call and as a result, do not know if the buses will be accessible to us or not. Also, we do not know if Bat Galim, cable-car is accessible. We do know that the funicular (your subway) is not accessible and that changes will not be completed by the time we arrive (February 2013).

Bahai Gardens appears to be very limited for us on the scooters. If we can see a portion, we would be thrilled.

Could someone please verify the accessibility of the buses and cable car. For the buses, we require that they would have space for both scooters at the same time. They are small scooters (approximately 53 cm x 96 cm); link for picture: http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/bettysworldnow/scooters/Scooters.jpg

In the event that the cable car and buses are not accessible, could you please advise an economical source that could at least transport us up to Bahai Gardens?

We have found most of the cable cars in Europe to be accessible. However, there are buses that are limited to just one wheelchair space. In our case, we are limited by our battery power and even with a spare set of batteries, we have to rely on some form of transportation. We are not particular as to the type of vehicle as long as the driver can get both scooters in.

For Ashdod we are taking a tour to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea with Israel4All. They agreed to transport both scooters if we ride as seated passengers.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif