Sea glass

cc56

We are cruising to Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas. Has someone been successful in finding sea glass in these locations? We have only a day in each port so I have to make every second count!

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...

I have been researching this topic, as well since we are going to Grand Turk in December. I belong to Seaglasslovers.com and according to that site, the only beach that may have seaglass in Grand Turk is Pellory Beach. I'm crazy about seaglass! Happy Hunting

We are cruising to Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas. Has someone been successful in finding sea glass in these locations? We have only a day in each port so I have to make every second count!

Thanks for your help!

My DW and I found sea glass just walking along the shore line beach at the port in Grand Turks. Got a good hand full within a half hour. Didn't look for it at the other ports.

DT

We were in GT in May 2010 and I found some sea glass near the port as well. We headed to the right (toward the "point") to go to the conch shell "graveyard" and also around the point to the beach there. I wasn't looking for sea glass but found some while looking for shells and picked up a few pieces, so yes, there is sea glass in GT.

I found sea glass in Grand Turk just walking along the beach. It did help if I stayed right at the waters edge and used my foot to dig down and turn the sand a bit. I also found quite a bit in St. Thomas. We took the ferry to Water Island and went to Honeymoon Beach.

I've found sea glass right on the beach at Margaritaville in Grand Turk. Mostly greens but a few browns, blues and whites.

I love sea glass too! Looking forward to hunting for it next February. We're heading to St. Thomas (Sapphire Beach), Tortola (undecided but I've read that Cane garden Bay has some) and Antigua (Valley Church beach).

On our previous cruise I got hooked on hunting sea glass at a day visit in St.Lucia, so by the time we hit Grand Turks and Caicos was on the lookout. As you exit ship we also headed to the right as you face the island toward the point. Found some as walked near shore. We ended up finding a lot more if you go about one foot into water and dug and sift in hand. However the current kept knocking shells into my ankle, next time I am bringing a colander as quite shelly and rough -if I recall there was almost a 1 foot drop off really close to shore, and that is where I found a lot. Just got hit in face a few times while I clutched that great piece of glass waiting for wave to receeed. So happy hunting. Be sure to walk around corner and check out the conch "graveyard" very desolate side and quiet to sit here- not for swimming as quite rough--unless you are a strong snorkeler--we saw many coming up with conch--but I bet those are "still housing a critter!" Much quieter compared to Margaritaville -only saw about 7 people over there.

p.s. did Megan's Bay and did not find any sea glass -perhaps because it is more of a protected cove type shape and National Park?

I love sea glass and had no problem finding it at Coki Beach, St Thomas; Grand Turk (beach to the right of the cruise port); Maho Beach, St. Martin; and on Princess Cays. I love the beautiful soft colors of the glass. I am hooked!

blue and red is the rarest and most difficult to find. Not bad finding those pieces from such a high traffic area. I see one shiny piece -those area the ones we label "not done yet" and throw it back in for more tumbling :D

Addicting "hobby" isn't it?

The pieces we found there were on the small side too. Still fun and even the little ones add up over time.

I thought you had a couple reds but now I'm thinking those are browns.

I agree about the shiney ones...throw 'em back in for a few more years. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful glass! I am a novice and still looking for the best way to display mine. Any ideas to share on the subject?

Most of my pieces are in a large, clear, glass vase that I display on my mantel (right next to the conch shell that I found in Grand Turk). My Mom is very crafty so she made a few pieces of jewelry for me but other than that I haven't done anything else with them.

Would love to see others collections and displays too! :)

blue and red is the rarest and most difficult to find. Not bad finding those pieces from such a high traffic area. I see one shiny piece -those area the ones we label "not done yet" and throw it back in for more tumbling :D

Addicting "hobby" isn't it?

My hubby found that one...I did not have the heart to tell him to throw it back, he thought he had done so good :p

My hubby found that one...I did not have the heart to tell him to throw it back, he thought he had done so good :p

I should've figured...my DH does the same thing! :p I usually wait til he isn't looking and toss them back. :o

We had great luck at Governor's beach!

Thank you all for your posts!

We had to return home after two days bec. Of a family emergency but will get to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico someday!

I'll be at Bayfest in Somers Point New Jersey on Saturday 4/28/12 selling some of the sea glass jewelry I have made. Come and see me if you are in the area or visit my site at http://OfSeaandShore.etsy.com

I have only a few things posted there. Please e-mail me at the site or here if you would like a specific piece (color) rtc. I can also make a piece of jewelry for you from glass you have found.

All glass is genuine sea glass found by me, personally!

Happy hunting!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry you had to cut your cruise short. We did find some sea glass on Governor's Beach in Grand Turk. My mother in law collects it. I thought that the kids were crazy to pick it up but let them bring it home to her. She was thrilled. I guess we found mostly green pieces but a few browns and blues. If you love sea glass the place to go is glass beach in Hawaii. The entire beach is just covered in sea glass. We picked up a huge amount in 1/2 an hour.

• 1 month later...

We collected a lot in Bermuda. There are two beaches labelled "Sea Glass Beach". It's much like the Hawaii picture shows but the pieces are bigger.

A friend made a stepping stone for her garden out of concrete and glass. You could also find a mirror that has a frame. You could put the pieces on with hot glue or glue (I'm not an expert at that kind of thing). Maybe a picture frame done the same way with a picture of your trip in it.

Hawaii352.jpg

This is a picture of what the ground looks like at Glass Beach in Hawaii.

Oh my, a beach glass lovers paradise. Looks like a "reason" to cruise to Bermuda-one of the few places have not been that cruises from US.Thanks for photo.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived