On board now 4/19-4/27 NOLA->Memphis

corycruiser

I've started this thread to provide information and answer any questions you might have (just ask). We are currently aboard the American Queen, and she is only on her second voyage, so still in "shake down" mode. Following is what I have previously posted on this thread.

We are on board right now. Quickly, I will say that as this is only their second cruise, I am cutting them some slack, but ... Everything is VERY disorganized!

Our room is filthy and we seem unable to get it cleaned (at least to my satisfaction - Our room steward makes lots of excuses, and the purser's office says they will take care of it, however, our shoes continue to stick to the bathroom floor)! I have talked with other guests, and it seems to be "hit & miss" some rooms are well cleaned, others are like ours. Many people are unhappy with how cramped the rooms are, however ours (#343 Veranda Suite) size wise is small but okay, especially since we have the veranda.

The food on board is like everything else - Hit & Miss - In the dining room the food had been fine, although nothing special. It seems to depend on your wait staff, some people have had very poor (slow) service, while we have had good service (at dinner). Breakfast is a buffet. Lunch has again been buffet or very limited menu. The optional dining venues feature such fine offering as hot dogs, popcorn, and sandwiches (large rolls w/little meat) and bags of chips. Yum Yum !

Not much in the way of activites on board. Of course, it seems that most people are happy to just sit and read a book, or watch the river banks as we roll along. We have had two evening shows, one was boring, the other was slightly better. Same with the musicians, a couple are okay, others are ???

As I think of other things that might be of interest, I will let you know.

There is Wi-Fi Internet Access available on board (currently, no additional charge). There does not seem to be a enough band width for the number of people using it, so the connection most of the time is VERY slow, often to the point that you think that you have lost your connection.

Access seems to vary greatly depending upon where you are on the boat (according to several crew members). Yesterday there were three of us trying to use it in the Mark Twain Gallery (about mid-ship). Two of us were showing a full 4 bars, the other gentleman was only showing 1, although we were sitting within 10 feet of each other. Unfortunately, none of us could get a web page to load.

Conversly, I am currently using the system in my stateroom (#343), with no problem.

I am with the Great American Steamboat Company and disembarked yesterday but was on the start of this voyage and wanted to address these comments straightaway as the staff aboard the riverboat are already doing. I realize that these folks have no doubt communicated to various crewmembers onboard with limited success which is, candidly, not acceptable to us and we are reviewing how the follow-through on this failed. As an aside, both the Hotel Manager and the CEO of the company Jeff Krida, who is aboard, are aware of this and the Hotel Manager is meeting with this couple tonight at 745pm to both apologize and to inform them of what immediate corrections have already been made. Additionally, Mr Krida, the CEO hopes to meet with them later tonight as well.

quote]

We did meet with the VP of Hotel Operations, last evening, and after dinner, we returned to a stateroom which was thoroughy cleaned. And we very much appreciated it.

We did not meet with the CEO of the company last night, although we did meet him on the day of our embarkation (another story which I may relate at another time).

Further, I totally agree that food and entertainment (as well as cleanliness) are subjective. I also assume that the reader is aware of this and they can make their judgements accordingly. I will post sample menus as well as pictures at a later date. As for the entertainment, I did not book this cruise because of the entertainment offered, and I can't imagine that people would (unless you were doing a "specialty" cruise). My comments (again subjective), are my impressions, as well as comments from other passengers I have talked with.

I cannot comment on the scores/ratings that were referred to. What questions were asked? How were they asked? What percentage of passengers responded? Etc.

Finally, I must say that most of the crew that we have dealt with, have been very friendly and helpful. The previous poster, seemed to imply that the problems we are experiencing are do to staff training. Does the staff need more training? That is up to the company.

We did meet with the VP of Hotel Operations, last evening, and after dinner, we returned to a stateroom which was thoroughy cleaned. And we very much appreciated it.

Glad to hear you cabin was finally cleaned

You should not have to ask for this to be done

I am looking forward to your photos & menus when you are ready to post them

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

corycruiser,

I do know a lot of the entertainers onboard for years and I loved what they are doing. And sure I´m biased and would be more than happy to be onboard right now...

Sure entertainment is subjective so is food. But as for entertainment keep in mind that you can´t compare it to an ocean going vessel. You only have a pretty small stage with less technical stuff behind it. So no big scenery in the background, just limited light effects. You said that there are still 4 singers and dancers (and that´s what I´ve seen on the company photos too). That´s what they did before. They used to have a small live band. No one mentioned this yet. But even a 5 piece band is much more than most of the cruise ships have (most of them have taped music for their shows). So regarding the evening shows I usually was surprised what they´ve got together regarding the circumstances of such a small vessel.

Also entertainment in the bars is exactly what I did expect and wanted to have! Banjos, pianos, small band with Dixieland music, Jazz... the music you expect to have on a steamboat!! You do have the Engine Room Bar with the band playing and you do have the Captain´s bar with a piano and sometimes a banjo added.

Always keep in mind you´re on a small vessel with just 400 passengers and cramped areas. Have you ever been on a European river cruise? You won´t even find a theater onboard. Entertainment is mainly limited to the one and only lounge and a guy playing the keyboard (and trying to sing). Sometimes you find a small crew talent show. Sometimes the cruise company hires some folks for the evening like a string quartet. But that´s only possible when the ship is staying in town until after the "show" has ended.

Enjoy your cruise!!

steamboats

corycruiser,

I do know a lot of the entertainers onboard for years and I loved what they are doing. And sure I´m biased and would be more than happy to be onboard right now...

Sure entertainment is subjective so is food. But as for entertainment keep in mind that you can´t compare it to an ocean going vessel. You only have a pretty small stage with less technical stuff behind it. So no big scenery in the background, just limited light effects. You said that there are still 4 singers and dancers (and that´s what I´ve seen on the company photos too). That´s what they did before. They used to have a small live band. No one mentioned this yet. But even a 5 piece band is much more than most of the cruise ships have (most of them have taped music for their shows). So regarding the evening shows I usually was surprised what they´ve got together regarding the circumstances of such a small vessel.

Also entertainment in the bars is exactly what I did expect and wanted to have! Banjos, pianos, small band with Dixieland music, Jazz... the music you expect to have on a steamboat!! You do have the Engine Room Bar with the band playing and you do have the Captain´s bar with a piano and sometimes a banjo added.

Always keep in mind you´re on a small vessel with just 400 passengers and cramped areas. Have you ever been on a European river cruise? You won´t even find a theater onboard. Entertainment is mainly limited to the one and only lounge and a guy playing the keyboard (and trying to sing). Sometimes you find a small crew talent show. Sometimes the cruise company hires some folks for the evening like a string quartet. But that´s only possible when the ship is staying in town until after the "show" has ended.

Enjoy your cruise!!

steamboats

Well said....couldn't have said it better....

Corycruiser has done GASC a great favour. The main office needs to know that there was, hopefully now it was and not still is, a problem with housekeeping. The problem should have been addressed by the room steward and not just by giving excuses. Then apparently there is a problem in the Purser's Office. It's inexcusable that Corycruiser did not get any satisfaction until they posted on a world wide computer cruise forum. Also I hope the po'boy sandwiches at the Front Porch of America are up to standard now. A few small slices of meat on a thick piece of bread is not acceptable as a po'boy in New Orleans less alone on a cruise where the lowest fare is over two thousand dollars for a week long voyage.

Recently there was a two night shakedown cruise out of New Orleans to introduce passengers to the new crew. GASC should have given more time to this. When the AMERICAN QUEEN came out in 1995 invited guests were supposed to be onboard for three weeks. The first passengers were on from New Orleans to Memphis. The second group was on for what was intended to be from Memphis to Cincinnati, but everyone was taken off at Troy, Indiana. The boat was stuck on a sandbar across from there for several days, so the invited guests that were supposed to ride from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh unfortunately had their voyage canceled.

Of course there will still be teething problems for several months. The crew will have to learn how to take care of these niggles right away. They will have to feel they have the autonomy to make quick decisions. If not there will be more postings here and at other computer cruise forums in the future. Even worse could happen; GASC could become synonamous with MAL.

NCL had major teething problems around Hawaii with the American Crew, but now things are going great and the ship is always sailing full. This is why I personally never want to be on the first several sailings of any ship.

Corycruiser has done GASC a great favour. The main office needs to know that there was, hopefully now it was and not still is, a problem with housekeeping. The problem should have been addressed by the room steward and not just by giving excuses.

The head house keeper should have inspected & rectified the problem as soon as it was reported

I know there will be teething problems but as you say they had to post here to get attention

You do not expect the cleaning of the cabin to be one of the problems :eek:

I was impressed that a member of management is paying attention to what their customers are posting about their product. At least they seem to be willing to address issues that come up and let us future customers know that they are on top of things. Some cruise lines would like you to just shut-up and pay-up. GASC seems to at least care.

NCL had major teething problems around Hawaii with the American Crew, but now things are going great and the ship is always sailing full. This is why I personally never want to be on the first several sailings of any ship.

NCL no longer has an exclusively American crew but instead a diverse crew from all around the world similar to other large ocean cruises. Thus, things are going smoother now.

floatn,

mikedw was talking about NCL America and the US flagged Hawaiian ships (now it´s only the Pride of America left) which has to have an US crew (not 100% but close). Due to the Passenger Vessel Services Act the ship has to be US flagged to be able to cruise around Hawaii.

steamboats

I get the favorable impression that the management of GASC is doing everything possible to make The American Queen a premiere experience for cruisers.

Undoubtedly, any early cruises will have problems in shakedowns and GASC, from its statements, are taking corrective measures.

People that expect AQ to be a riverboat gambling cruise don't seem to realize that there are a whole bunch of State laws that govern gambling in its waters. Louisiana allows riverboat gambling; Mississippi requires that the boats be anchored on shore; Tennessee, I believe does not allow gambling on its waters; Illinois requires a license and only a few are issued.

At this point, I think it is best to hold further posting of comments/review of this cruise until we have disembarked. Management finally changed our room steward and I am happy to report that we do appreciate finally having a clean stateroom. (But no, it should not be necessary to complain on a message board on the internet, to get satisfaction). Anyway, we will be disembarking in a few days. I do have information that I will post regarding ammenities, menu's, entertainment, etc. Again, if anyone has any questions, or specific information they want me to check for them, just let me know, and I'll do my best.

Happy cruising.

Corycruiser, you have good reasons to wait until the cruise is completed to post your final evaluation. But I'm wondering how many of the included land excursions you've gone on, and what you've observed about them. I'll be on this cruise in June, and would love to have the benefit of your experience. Thanks!

Do they give any cabin sizes (sq FT) in any of the documents onboard?

Looking forward to reading about the cruise & seeing your photos

Lyn

Lynn,

Sorry, I didn't have a way to measure our stateroom. (No, no one I talked to knew the measurements. The pursers office suggested I contact the company in Memphis).

We here in #343, which was an A catagory Deluxe Outside Stateroom with Veranda. It was of adequate size, although a bit smaller than the pictures implies. There was room for two single beds with 1 very small night table (just large enough for the telephone). The room also included a rattan chair and footstool as well as a small armoire. If you look closely in the brochure picture, you will see a chair next to the armoire (left) as well as a table next to the rattan chair (right). It would not be possible to have these two pieces of furnature in the room and be able to walk around the beds. When they push the beds together to make a queen bed, they do not have anything to keep the beds from coming apart in the middle, which tends to be a problem and uncomfortable. Also, no room for a second nightstand (a personal peeve, as I had no place to put my glasses or a glass of water when I went to bed).

The bathroom is also small, with no counter space around the pedistal sink. There was no non-skid in the bathtub (worn off), and a couple of times the water did not drain correctly, causing a very slippery (and dangerous) condition. There was no separate fan in the bathroom, so we had to hold the bathroom door open with the trash can while showering, or afterwards, to allow the steam to escape.

Luckily most of the cabins have verandas, which helps make the rooms feel larger when the doors are open, although they ask that "due to the humid conditions, please keep your verada door closed to enable the Boat's air conditioning system to run efficiently and effectively." (Note, that their picture shows the doors open).

The inside cabins are TINY!!! I saw many of them with a bunk on one side and a single on the other side of the room. Although I do not know the actual measurements, I would guess at maybe 8'x8'? The ones I saw did not look like the photo in the brochure.

Of note, the veranda area of the rooms on the back of the boat do get wet from the spray of the paddle wheel.

If you contact the company and ask for the room measurements, maybe they will tell you, and you could post the information.

Corycruiser, you have good reasons to wait until the cruise is completed to post your final evaluation. But I'm wondering how many of the included land excursions you've gone on, and what you've observed about them. I'll be on this cruise in June, and would love to have the benefit of your experience. Thanks!

Judy,

We took all the "Hop-On/Hop-Off" (included) tours and none of the "Premium Tours". I must say, that we did appreciate the inclusion of these Hop-On/Hop-Off tours as it gave us an overview of the area, and time to walk around an area that interested us, and bypass areas that didn't.

At each port, they had 3 or 4 (?) buses, that ran a route around the the area with various stops along the route, at stores, museums, and points of interest. Some of the museums/points of interest admissions were included (Oak Alley Plantation Tour, West Feliciana Historical Society Museum, Rosalie, Longwood & Stanton Hall tours, Vicksburg Battlefield Visitors Center, Pillow Thompson House, Memphis Rock & Soul Museum, and many churches). Other stops required an additional admission charge (National Civil Rights Museum, Vicksburg Battlefield, etc).

All of the buses had "tour guides", although most had nothing or next to nothing to say, while a few were very informative, and not only told us about the stops, but about the town/area. The tour guides where obviously hired at each stop, and not a part of the American Queen crew.

Again, we very much appreciated this service, but it is an area that they could really improve at no additional cost (they already have the buses and the tour guides - if nothing else, give them a script of "interesting" things to say about their area).

Would realy be interested in the in port times. Thank you

Embarkation in New Orleans was to take place at 2pm - Then postponed until 3pm - We finally boarded about 4:30pm. The boat was to depart at 7:30 and to be honest, I really don't know what time we finally left, but I know that it was after 8pm. There was no announcement, and we were at dinner (did not have a window seat).

Oak Alley - We were there from 8am to 1pm (had to be back on board by 12:30pm). There was no Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here. Just a tour of the plantation.

St. Francisville - We were there from 8am to 1pm (had to be back on board by 12:30pm). There was a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here. (Nice little town, very happy to have visitors. They welcome you with a nice shopping bag as well as info. about the area).

Natchez - We were there from 8am to 5pm (had to be back on board by 4:30pm). There was a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here. (As we were there on Sunday, most of the shops were closed).

Vicksburg - We were there from 8am to 1pm (had to be back on board by 12:30pm). There was a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here.

Helena - We were there from 8am to 1pm (had to be back on board by 12:30pm). There was a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here.

Memphis - I believe we were on the only cruise that would be in Memphis overnight therefore, we had a Hop-On/Hop-Off bus here. As I understand it, you normally will disembark by 8:45am on the day you arrive in Memphis. If you take the train back to New Orleans, you disembark at 5:15am. If going to the airport, you disembark at either 6am, 7am, or 8am. If going to a post cruise hotel, you disembark at 8:45am. If you have made independent arrangements, you must disembark by 8:45am.

corycruiser,

Enjoy your cruise!!

steamboats

As I previously stated, entertainment (like everything else) is subjective. I did not expect the same type of entertainment that they offer on large ocean going cruise lines, nor would feel that it was "right" or "appropriate" for the small, intimate steamboat setting. I too would have liked "banjos, pianos, small band with Dixieland music, Jazz... the music you expect to have on a steamboat!!" that you mentioned. Further, I come from a family of musicians (one played with the Count Basie band for over 25 years, two others worked the cruise ship circuit for many years, others worked in local bands), so I am by no means anti-musician. That being said, I will re-interate that I felt that overall the quality of the entertainment was lacking, when there are so many excellent musicians/singers in the Memphis area, let alone the rest of the country. The singers (other than the four in the ensemble cast) were really bad (but again, just my opinion)!

For those who are interested, generally the musical entertainment went like this;

4-4:30 there was music at Main Deck/Captains Bar (piano & singer) during tea time

4-5pm there was music at the River Grill (guitar & singer)

6-6:45 music at the Engine Room Bar (piano, guitar & singing)

8 & 10pm - Showtime (after dinner main show) would alternate between some type of musical act or the on-board singer/dancer ensemble

9pm till ? - there would be music in the Engine Room Bar (piano, guitar & singing)

11:15 till ? - there would be music for dancing in the Grand Saloon (after the dinner show, however, there was no beverage service there, so by 11:30 or so, everyone would leave.

On the last night of the cruise, the "headline" entertainment was the Harry James Orchestra which played from 7-8pm and 9-10pm.

The inside cabins are TINY!!! I saw many of them with a bunk on one side and a single on the other side of the room.

Only category I has bunk beds. The others do have single beds and some cabins have an additional bunk bed for triple occupancy (stayed in one of those once with our kid).

As usualy cabin photos are sample pictures only and don´t show each category. But that´s the same with big cruise ships. And you would be surprised what a good wide lense can make out of a cabin :D. I always said that the cabins are small and I mean small (tiny, cramped)!! Not comparable to a big cruise ship. Take the brochure photos as what they are: brochure photos!!

I don´t know the current singers onboard. But I have seen a recent photo of the engine room bar showing a band with piano, drums, bass, guitar/banjo. At least 4 or 5 people. Unfortunately I can´t remember where I saw it. Jackie is playing in the Captain´s Bar and Engine Room Bar (singing and playing the piano). Bob is playing banjo and so is Paul (who also plays the guitar). Phil is playing piano (also a pretty good ragtime player - and I assume he´s cruise director). And your Mark Twain impersonator is one of the best you can get, Lewis Hankins. And I haven´t heard from those who´d been onboard now and "in the old times" that entertainment has changed to the worse.

steamboats

Corycruiser, thanks for all the helpful information, especially about the ports and the music schedule. Now I'm wondering: where could I go for times when I didn't want music (interested in quiet reading or conversation)? Especially after reading about the size of the inside rooms, which is where I'll be.

Also, steamboats, thanks for the recommendation of the Mark Twain impersonator. Is this the Riverlorian? And when and where would we be able to find him?

JudyM,

No, Lewis Hankins is a guest entertainer who´s coming aboard mainly on the Upper Mississippi River cruises. He was aboard on the New Orleans - Memphis cruise.

The riverlorians are Travis, Jerry and Mary. I know that Jerry was only onboard for the pre inaugural. Mary has just returned back home after arriving in Memphis. So currently it´s Travis with Jerry coming in May. Riverlorian is a combination of river and historian. They are giving lectures about steamboat history, river navigation (daytime and nighttime) and much more. Usually you were able to visit the pilot house on a port day. Jerry did a great lecture about the Lewis & Clark expedition.

You won´t have any music just sitting outside in a rocking chair or a swing bench. Or in the Mark Twain Gallery, in the Ladies´ or Men´s parlor or up in the Front Porch. There are quite a few quiet and nice places.

BTW here´s a nice photo gallery where you can see "Mark Twain" and a couple dressed up in historic costumes (friends of mine), who was on the same cruise as corycruiser.

steamboats

Archived