Does Grand Cayman Still Have Big Black Dick Rum?

redneck boatrider

They do still have it at their store and a few select places on the island but nowhere else. I LOVE the coconut rum but last time we were there they just had light, dark and vanilla. I'm guessing they stopped the coconut which breaks my heart! If anyone knows if they still have the coconut I would love to know!

They do still have it at their store and a few select places on the island but nowhere else. I LOVE the coconut rum but last time we were there they just had light, dark and vanilla. I'm guessing they stopped the coconut which breaks my heart! If anyone knows if they still have the coconut I would love to know!

Seriously, it is so much better than Tortuga rum. Their dark rum tastes/smells like burned rubber. The 151 ain't bad, but how do you screw up 75% alcohol?;)

I need to buy some Big Black Dick Rum, the dark one is better. Can you get it any place besides Grand Cayman. Its pretty good, got some about 8 years ago.

oooooo.kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...is it any good...i no ...i no ..i have too try it for myself:D

oooooo.kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...is it any good...i no ...i no ..i have too try it for myself:D

It is actually a very good quality rum, as I said so much better than Tortuga rum.

I am partial to the dark rum, but they have some flavored stuff good for mixing too. Check it out if you are in Gr. Cayman.

FYI, we bought ours earlier this month in the Grotto. You go down underground a block from where the main shopping center is. They have a small room set up beside the gift shop. They were running a special. If you bought one liter, you got a free $20 rum cake. On top of that, the second bottle was on sale. We bought two BBD light Rum, the first was $14.99, the second was $10, so $24.99 and we got a large $20 Rum Cake that we had to walk back a block to the main shopping center to pick up. Not a bad deal. You can only buy the rum in the kiosk area of the Grotto. If you want the tshirts, glasses, etc, you will need to pay for those in the gift shop area.

How do you all get your liquor home? Obviously, if you drive to the port, that's understandable.

We are flying in from Atlanta, and would love to bring home some rum from our cruise, but are not sure how???

My advice is to go quality over quantity and buy a great bottle of local rum. Ask the store to wrap it up carefully for travel, then pack it in your luggage surrounded by clothing. Don't buy 151 rum - it is banned by TSA.

• 1 month later...

My sister bought me some a couple of months ago and when she brought it home it was NOT BBD, but something else. They had sent it on to the ship, but somewhere along the way, it got changed, so check your bottles! Just a friendly reminder. :):)

Has anyone had a problem with getting Big Black Dick delivered to the ship.

I seem to recall that you cannot purchase liquor on Grand Cayman and take it with you to the ship. It has to be delivered. And then you don't get it until the last day.

Anyone experience any problems with this?

• 2 weeks later...

You do have to have it delivered. Grrrr. We didnt know this and it was too late for us to purchase any. They apparently had the cut off about 1/2 hour before we tried to buy some to get back to the ship.

This was one of my objectives.

I wanted a bottle of Big Black Dick.

Waaaaaaaaaaah! :p

Oh, and you wont get any liquor until the last evening of your cruise.

You do have to have it delivered. Grrrr. We didnt know this and it was too late for us to purchase any. They apparently had the cut off about 1/2 hour before we tried to buy some to get back to the ship.

This was one of my objectives.

I wanted a bottle of Big Black Dick.

Waaaaaaaaaaah! :p

Oh, and you wont get any liquor until the last evening of your cruise.

What if you want to enjoy your Big Black Dick (or any other rum) while you are on the island? How do they know you are on a cruise ship? I am interested in buying a bottle of something to crack open right away - am I outta luck?

Sorry, I havent checked back til now. I think they just ask you if you are on a ship. If you said no and you just bought it to drink there, I wouldnt think there would be any issues with the exception of possible open container laws. We took a tour and the guide kept saying "Very small island, very strict laws" in reference to many different things such as drug use, traffic laws etc. I'm just not sure where you'd be able to crack it open and have some drinks. :)

What if you want to enjoy your Big Black Dick (or any other rum) while you are on the island? How do they know you are on a cruise ship? I am interested in buying a bottle of something to crack open right away - am I outta luck?

There are plenty of liquor stores that will sell booze to you for consumption on island. The difference is that they cannot sell it at duty free prices if you are going to carry it away to consume on island.

Remember, an item is only duty free if it is sold to someone who is directly leaving the country with the item.

Most of the duty free stores that serve the cruise ships actually have very little inventory in the shops. They consolidate orders and deliver them to the ship from a warehouse.

Archived