Cruise insurance

ARI421

My husband didn't get cruise insurance when he booked our cruise a couple weeks ago. He paid in full, is it too late to get now? We sail in January

You can still get insurance, but it won't cover any conditions that exist now.

My husband didn't get cruise insurance when he booked our cruise a couple weeks ago. He paid in full, is it too late to get now? We sail in January

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

You can buy insurance up until the time you walk out the door, depending on where you buy the insurance.

As others have posted it won't cover pre existing conditions if you don't buy it within the alloted time of the insurance you buy.

Bill

Once you pay in full, you cannot use the cruise lines version of travel insurance. There are, however, several places you can go to get quotes for coverage, and can use these to bundle in your air costs as well. Be sure to read the policies to see if the coverage is what you are looking for...."cancellation for any reason" usually has a time frame from the original date of booking in which it can be added (typically 14 days but I have seen it up to 21), and is usually an additional fee. if you google "insure my trip", you can find a good insurance engine site that you can use to compare different plans across many different companies.

Hope that helps!

You can still buy insurance from a 3rd party insurance. You can ask for comparative plans from different companies at www.TripInsuranceStore.com

There are some credit cards like the Chase Explorer card that have some travel insurance if you pay with it. They will cover cancellations for family members with a valid reason. If you want medical or evacuation insurance you will have to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many, many versions of VISA and MC have trip cancellation and trip delay that are in force from the moment you pay for your trip.

If you have an active health insurance plan (USA, including Medicare), I suggest Geo-Blue for the medical. It is primary outside of the US and covers 100% up to policy limits.

Edited by thinfool

You can buy insurance up until the time you walk out the door, depending on where you buy the insurance.

As others have posted it won't cover pre existing conditions if you don't buy it within the alloted time of the insurance you buy.

Bill

That "allotted time" is usually in the 10 to 21 days after making the firat payment, IF one wants the waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions.

However, there is at least one company that allows this as late a "within 24 hours of final payment" ("final" being narrowly defined).

Unfortunately, this is *probably* too late for OP.

But to the OP: Check with Steve at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(call, don't just read the online summaries.)

There might still be something you can do.

Good luck.

1 of the those shopper sites (travelinsurnce.com) directed us to CSA when buying up to final payment with pre-existing conditions but you have to call CSA Travel Protection's agents to buy it. 800-874-2442.

I think 3rd party insurance providers will sell you insurance up to departure but the coverages (like trip cancellation, pre-existing conditions) will change.

1 of the those shopper sites (travelinsurnce.com) directed us to CSA when buying up to final payment with pre-existing conditions but you have to call CSA Travel Protection's agents to buy it. 800-874-2442.

I think 3rd party insurance providers will sell you insurance up to departure but the coverages (like trip cancellation, pre-existing conditions) will change.

Sorry, but as I've written in response to your previous comments about this, one CAN absolutely purchase this policy from a broker, or at the very least, from

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

We prefer to have the broker to help us with any claim or problem, which was needed once (to determine that a problem WAS covered, when we thought it wasn't... so we filed the claim and got payment).

WE have purchased it from them once, when we missed the 21 day deadline for Travel Insured.

Thsi was because we made the deposit, decided we'd probably not go, but left the deposit in place... and a year later, decided to go - and had a great time, secure with the CSA coverage.

The CSA coverage at that late date (final payment) would be very expensive IF someone needed CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage, but we didn't.

P.S. Insurance is a regulated industry. They can't sell the same policies (to folks in the same states) for different prices, etc.

And CSA is NOT a "buy direct from us only" outfit.

Edited by GeezerCouple

We ended up buying Nationwide Cruise insurance online through insuremytrip because it was one of 4 companies that had a waiver of pre-existing condition if bought before final payment (we missed buying it within 14-21 days of deposit) and was cheaper than CSA for our needs. This does not help OP, but if having a waiver is not important, there are some policies that have a shorter look back period for pre-existing. Definitely helps to shop around. I did contact Steve with tripinsurancestore a while back and although we did not use him, he was very helpful and I recommended him to a family member who bought a policy through him.