Franko's Maps - or Any Other Map

sjmbruce

I've never found the GPS that car rental companies provide to be very helpful. I have my own GPS but it is old and I'm nervous about using it in Hawaii. What I really want are some good old fashioned maps.

We'll be driving all around Oahu and would like not only highways but even small streets to get to beaches such as Waimanalo Beaches, Kailua Beach and Lanikai Beach. We're doing the Hana Highway and then Haleakala National Park with a possibility of Nakalele Blowhole & Heart Shaped Rock. On Kauai we'll be driving to Waimea Canyon and to a boat tour.

Has anyone ever used Franko's maps? Or a recommendation would be great as well.

Thanks!

I've never found the GPS that car rental companies provide to be very helpful. I have my own GPS but it is old and I'm nervous about using it in Hawaii. What I really want are some good old fashioned maps.

We'll be driving all around Oahu and would like not only highways but even small streets to get to beaches such as Waimanalo Beaches, Kailua Beach and Lanikai Beach. We're doing the Hana Highway and then Haleakala National Park with a possibility of Nakalele Blowhole & Heart Shaped Rock. On Kauai we'll be driving to Waimea Canyon and to a boat tour.

Thanks!

I would look at the Oahu Drive Guide and their app.

http://www.hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/2016-01ODG/

I assume you are renting cars on the various islands. The maps provided by the rental agencies are generally quite detailed. We always take our own GPS with us but have never had any difficulty using the rental company maps. Oahu isn't that difficult to navigate while the other islands are very easy to get around.

Thanks!

I plan on just using my "smart phone" on our Hawaii visit in April 2016. I am a GPS junkie, but decided to leave the GPS at home on this trip since we have to fly to San Francisco to board the ship. I'm taking the phone for sure as it also has my music for cocktail hour and gives me the ability to check in which friends and family both on the trip with us, and those at home.

I can't afford the GPS' weight in my over-packed suitcase!:eek:

I'll add that not only is the Oahu Drive Guide and their app great (and they have drive guides for every island) the Gypsy app is great as well.

http://gypsyguide.com/package/oahu-beaches-volcanoes/

I find the maps in the Drive Guide and all the tourist publications (This Week, Spotlight, etc) better than what the rental car companies give.

Read the topic below from TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c120226/Oahu:Hawaii:Maps.html

thanks for all of your replies and suggestions! unfortunately, we won't have smart phones with us so we won't be able to use the handy google maps and Hawaii apps. the other maps look great so I'm looking into which ones to use. it was the smaller places on the side streets such asKailua Beach and Lanikai Beach that had me the most worried. I don't want to waste a minute being lost :) thanks again!