QM2 inspires sets for new Poseidon film

cruiserking

Hollywood has been inspired by the QM2 and modeled the Grand dining room of the S.S. Poseidon on R.M.S Queen Mary 2's Britannia Restaurant.

1972's epic maritime tale The Poseidon Adventure featured locations shot aboard the Queen Mary. It seems only fitting that the QM2 should serve as the inspiration for some of the interiors used in the sequel Poseidon.

The Grand Dining Room of the S.S. Poseidon

wwb3v4.jpg

The Grand Britannia Restaurant of R.M.S Queen Mary 2

wwb70z.jpg

Cruiserking

Oh Great. Been a big fan of the original Irwin Allen film and always thought it was instrumental in my love of ocean liners and cruise ships. Have to admit I have mixed feelings over this Wolfgang Petersen version as I think classics should never be refilmed. That being said I am on the QM2 for the first time later this year and not so sure I want to actually be on the Poseidon! Guess I better start finding my way down (or is that up) to the engine room. HA HA HA!

Oh yeah, there's just got to be a morning after!

(Couldn't resist that one)

Originally Posted by Bramcruiser

Oh Great. Been a big fan of the original Irwin Allen film and always thought it was instrumental in my love of ocean liners and cruise ships. Have to admit I have mixed feelings over this Wolfgang Petersen version as I think classics should never be refilmed.

I'm also a great fan of the The Poseidon Adventure, that classic 70's liner feel of it always reminds me of the QE2 family trips we took when I was a kid.

I agree remakes in general are pretty atrocious, but, I think Wofgang Petersen is a good choice to helm Poseidon. With maritime movies like Das Boot and Perfect Storm under his belt, Petersen is just the kind of director to guide this picture into successful waters.

Rolling Stone has already given Poseidon three and half stars. Here's the review:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/7222814/rid/10147202/

I hope this Poseidon refit is worthwhile. Much more fun to watch the crashing waves on the big screen and limit my cruise adventures to wondering how formal nights there are and whether we can board early.

Cruiserking

I noticed that too - seems like the designers have taken bits of various ships and incorporated them into the ficticious Posiedon. Of course, they could never use a real cruise ship - no line wants that kind of publicity - but as cruiserking pointed out, some of the original Posiedon Adventure was shot aboard the Queen Mary.

Looks like disaster movies are going to be popular this spring...

I noticed that too - seems like the designers have taken bits of various ships and incorporated them into the ficticious Posiedon. Of course, they could never use a real cruise ship - no line wants that kind of publicity - but as cruiserking pointed out, some of the original Posiedon Adventure was shot aboard the Queen Mary.

Looks like disaster movies are going to be popular this spring...

Don't forget the 1959 MGM movie shot aboard the Ile De France: The Last Voyage. The Ile had been sold to Japanese scrappers, but was chartered to MGM for the film. The studio incorporated explosions, partial flooding, and the destruction of one of her funnels during the filming, to the horror of the French Line. Talk about bad publicity....

Archived