Lobster on formal night

rjs412

We're debating whether or not to take formal wear for an upcoming Princess cruise. If we do not take formal wear and if lobster is served on a formal night - is it possible to order lobster through room service delivered to our cabin?

Rick

We're debating whether or not to take formal wear for an upcoming Princess cruise. If we do not take formal wear and if lobster is served on a formal night - is it possible to order lobster through room service delivered to our cabin?

Rick

If you are in a suite.

It's 'suite-only' for MDR room service, and like Pam said, the lobster is not what you may be used to. It's average.

In the MDR, we always ask our waiter(s) about Chef's specials, and more importantly, the most popular entrees of the night.

Frankly, the lobster isn't that good as it's frozen, not fresh. You're not missing anything. I haven't ordered lobster on a cruise in well over ten years.

How true. I feel kind of guilty when everyone around me is excited about the lobster. I don't order it.

How would room service know what you wearing,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh suite not suit

I LOL'd :D

I always answer the door wearing nothing. Why do they always just run away before you can even tip them?!

Edited by gcvt

Our lobster on the recent Ocean Princess cruise was inedible both in the dining room and also in Sabatinis...must be the frozen nature of it or possible how they are cooking it these days. If you are on a large table by the time the waiter prises it out of the shell and mucks about with squeezing lemon the last person gets cold lobster.

I must say they were very apologetic in Sabatinis but still you would expect better.....

Sue

Hi All

I think the big shrimp taste better than the lobster,

I agree with Shogun that the prawns were better than the lobster the last time I was on Princess but I still had the lobster because I love seafood.

On our 2010 Coral cruise - Lobster was on the menu the first night - It was Thanksgiving... I couldn't decide between the lobster and the turkey and our waiter insisted on bringing me both. There were two huge lobster tails and it was the best lobster I have ever had. (and I've been to Maine several times)... My friend and I even ordered another order and split it. We asked and were told it was from Viet Nam. But I will say, the lobster later in the cruise was not nearly as good. Maybe because it was the first night the lobster was fresh and not frozen.

(PS..the turkey & trimmings were terrible)

We've kinda' given up on the lobster tails in the MDR...it's just not worth it. There is just no consistency; once in awhile you get one that is not overcooked and pasty. Being from New England, we know what good lobster is and Princess just doesn't serve good lobster in the MDRs.

You'd be much better off leaving your formal wear at home and going out for a nice lobster dinner sometime. Lobster in any shoreside restaurant has got to be a lot better than what they serve us in the MDR.

Lew

Frankly, the lobster isn't that good as it's frozen, not fresh. You're not missing anything. I haven't ordered lobster on a cruise in well over ten years.

Just wondering...If you haven't had it on a cruise in well over 10 years, how do you not it isn't that good?

Last month on the Caribbean Princess, it was very good in the MDR on the 2nd formal night, and excellent in the Crown Grill. It was only in Sabatini's where it was so-so.

I agree with last post...we had terrible lobster in Sabatini's on the Emerald.

Last cruise on the Crown, the lobster and the prawns were delicious. My DH is a cape codder and knows lobster..he raved about it...

We have the lobster on Princess to be consistently very good......

that is the only reason we go to formal night,

eclue;)

One option could be to have dinner on formal night in the Crown Grill ...... we ate there twice on the Emerald because the food was THAT great. On the first visit, the waiter asked if we would like to have a sample of the lobster, and brought us a tail per person, in addition to the entrees we had ordered. The lobster was just plain awesome ..... tender, very tasty, with a wonderful smoky flavor from the grill. I ordered the lobster as my entree on our 2nd visit, and was served 4 nice sized tails. Our meals there were very much worth the $25 per person surcharge.

Always people love to pooh pooh the lobster. Obviously many love to enjoy the lobster. And sometimes it is good and sometimes it's not just like beef, fish or anything else.

Regarding formal night, a female is ok in black slacks and blouse. I think if the male were to wear black pants and long sleeved, collared shirt, he would be allowed in as well. Those should not be hard to pack. We dine late and often see people who don't match the dress code suggestions exactly admitted. So I suggest playing it by ear. On lobster night if you want some just go to the dining room and see what happens. Others may say differently but that has been our experience.

Edited by happy cruzer

We've kinda' given up on the lobster tails in the MDR...it's just not worth it. There is just no consistency; once in awhile you get one that is not overcooked and pasty. Being from New England, we know what good lobster is and Princess just doesn't serve good lobster in the MDRs.
Exactly my thought. Maybe I'm a lobster snob but then I lived northeast of Boston for over 35 years in a town with hundreds of lobster pots in the harbor. One of my business partners had one in the water from Memorial to Labor Day. Fresh lobster literally caught that day is the norm. Steamed, not broiled, is also the norm. I can, and do, order fresh lobster delivered overnight to CA maybe once or twice a year. I love lobster and stick to it fresh and steamed.

And, don't get me started on maple syrup vs. the awful maple-flavored stuff on the ship. I walk past the syrups at the supermarket and shudder.

Edited by Pam in CA

And, don't get me started on maple syrup vs. the awful maple-flavored stuff on the ship. I walk past the syrups at the supermarket and shudder.

Exactly...

We arrived home from Florida in late March just in time to enjoy some sugar on snow at a local sugarhouse...served with a donut and pickle! :)

Now my mouth is watering for some more...

Lew