Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are cruising on the Grandeur and so not a great deal of time. Wife will want to visit horseshoe beach and then take a tour of the island and the blue flag taxis sound like a great way to go. We took the bus last time and walked down the hill and took a shuttle back to the dockyard..Is it possible to take a blue flag taxi from Horseshoe or must we come back to the dockyard..

We are cruising on the Grandeur and so not a great deal of time. Wife will want to visit horseshoe beach and then take a tour of the island and the blue flag taxis sound like a great way to go. We took the bus last time and walked down the hill and took a shuttle back to the dockyard..Is it possible to take a blue flag taxi from Horseshoe or must we come back to the dockyard..

The Dockyard would be the most likely place to get a Blue Flag taxi, if you don't pre arrange one to pick you up at Horseshoe you might have to go back there. You could check the taxis in the parking area Horseshoe for a Blue Flag taxi before heading to the Dockyard. Perhaps one will be there. You could call one of the Taxi dispatching companies and see if they can send one to Horseshoe. Make sure the driver has that badge that is pictured a few posts up.

Or you could do the tour first and have the Blue Flag taxi drop you off at Horseshoe at the end of the tour.

The good blue flag guides will probably be booked in advance.

If they have the Blue Badge they have the training. Usually there are more good guides than customers. Some are harder to book because they have good PR. Also you have to be wary of TripAdvisor reviews. Many reviews that sound very good are sponsored by the guides or tour operator. We grabbed one on the spur of the moment and he was a good guide. I talk to the driver, look at is the van, I won't use the driver if the vehicle is dirty. I also look at the tires. I have had good luck picking out good guides with my judgement without pre arrangements. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Charles4515

If they have the Blue Badge they have the training. Usually there are more good guides than customers. Some are harder to book because they have good PR. Also you have to be wary of TripAdvisor reviews. Many reviews that sound very good are sponsored by the guides or tour operator. We grabbed one on the spur of the moment and he was a good guide. I talk to the driver, look at is the van, I won't use the driver if the vehicle is dirty. I also look at the tires. I have had good luck picking out good guides with my judgement without pre arrangements. Your mileage may vary.

One caveat - I was told by my guide that they had to change the way that the Blue Flag drivers were identified because it was too easy to fake. Drivers appeared to have the credentials when they really did not.

One caveat - I was told by my guide that they had to change the way that the Blue Flag drivers were identified because it was too easy to fake. Drivers appeared to have the credentials when they really did not.

Your picture of the badge is back a few posts. Here it is again. I would not over worry about what your guide said though. I take it with a grain of salt. Your guide may have his own agenda. How would we know if his badge was not the fake?

176eb677563e2800ab3e8364810d4b6d.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

It was the window sign that was faked. It is unkind and unfair to suggest that my guide might have faked his credentials. Not to mention borderline libelous.

There are 220 or so who have the Bermuda Blue Flag certification. You can find them without booking in advance. I suspect very few of them get booked in advance. Most are picking up regular fares and doing the tours when requested. Arranging in advance is a good idea but some like to decide last minute. What you can't go by is markings on the vehicle. Multiple drivers can be sharing a vehicle. The driver should be asked if they are Blue Flag certified.

1 - 4 passengers $50/hr

5 - 7 passengers $70/hr

minimum of 3 hours

SBtS

Thanks.

I was thinking about Rickey's Tours which cost $65 PP for a 6 hour tour but van holds 14 people. I would prefer smaller vehicle/less people.

Thanks.

I was thinking about Rickey's Tours which cost $65 PP for a 6 hour tour but van holds 14 people. I would prefer smaller vehicle/less people.

His is 5 hrs- check out Bermuda Byway/ Heidi- 10 pax- 6 hrs and includes lunch

Thank you so very much for this! I'm reading wonderful reviews.

Our private tour with Heidi was scheduled for 6 hours but lasted 7 1/2 due to extra diversions we requested. Great tour and tour guide.

And check out the art studio/shop in the Dockyards. Heidi is the curator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any of these private tours could accommodate a mobility scooter? My husband and I want to do a private tour but we need to take his scooter if we want to walk around somewhere while touring.

Just want to throw my hat in the ring for Dennis Hollis. He was great, friendly, informative and took us everywhere we asked and extra. He gave us a longer tour than we originally paid for but we paid and tipped accordingly because it was worth it.

His van was clean and air conditioned as well.

Does anyone know if any of these private tours could accommodate a mobility scooter? My husband and I want to do a private tour but we need to take his scooter if we want to walk around somewhere while touring.

It depends on how big the scooter is and your husband's own mobility. I use a small folding scooter but I can get off and get into the van. We toured with Lewis Foggo and had no problem with using his van. Most of the big vans are big enough to put a scooter in the back if it is not too heavy or too big, but they don't have a wheelchair lift.

We can highly recommend Heidi Cowen @ Byways Tours as a tour guide. She is an amazing person and it was great to spend a day with her. Arranging a private tour is a perfect way to see, touch and get a taste of what Bermuda has to offer. Our recent cruise was our 8th trip to Bermuda and my 2nd private tour. Transportation and beach time took up a lot of our time in the early visits! Personally I have to say that both tours introduced me to new sights and history in their own way!

I have a question, we have a tour booked with Heidi and wanted to know if we tip her? If so how much do you tip? I want to make sure I do the right thing and am really looking forward to this.

I booked a private 6-person tour with Heidi a few weeks ago and paid her $800 cash for the tour... the price we agreed to when I booked the tour. I didn't tip her any additional cash at the end of the tour. Since Heidi is the one-person tour company owner/operator, I think the tour price is the appropriate compensation. If she was a tour guide who was part of a larger company, I would consider tipping.

I'm sure any additional tip would be appreciated, but not really required. However, I don't know if that would be different if joining one of her 10-person tours as a single or couple.

We did visit the art gallery in the dockyard area that she is the curator of... and made one of our Bermuda purchases there. Maybe that is a tip? :)