Overnight in San Juan - earliest off the ship?

MarineMoose

Does anyone know when the earliest time for getting off the ship after an overnight stay is? We will be on the Silhouette which will dock in San Juan on the 28th of November, stay overnight, and leave the next day at 6:00 PM. I'm trying to figure out if a tour to the Arecibo radiotelescope is feasible. The tours of the observatory that I've found are between 8-9 hours, which feels like pushing our luck if we can only get off the ship at 8-9:00 AM. Sadly we are both chronic sufferers of what a fellow CCer calls FOMTCS syndrome (Fear Of Missing The Cruise Ship) so we'd like to be back on the ship no latest than 4:00 PM.

Also if anyone has visited the observatory, please share your experience! :D

Hi MarineMoose, we are on the Silhouette with you. I am going to guess (from another cruise line) that you can come and go as you please when we are docked overnight in San Juan. Usually, when a ship overnights in a port, there are no restrictions on coming and going, other than that you be back in time for departure on Day 2. You ought to be able to get off as early in the morning of Nov. 29 as you want. :)

Perhaps someone who has done an overnight with Celebrity will confirm, but I would be shocked if the information were otherwise.

I've done overnights while on Celebrity cruises to Bermuda, and yes, once the ship docks and everyone is allowed off you can come and go as you please, as long as you're back on board by the time specified on departure day, and you always have your seapass card with you to get back on(and of course some type of photo ID). There's no curfew or restrictions on leaving and coming back to the ship while overnight in a port, the gangway is open around the clock and there's always someone at Security to check you in and out as you come and go.

The normal overnight procedure is that the gangplank will be open 24 hours a day and staffed by 2 security staff. Passengers can normally come and go as they please...all day and night. In fact, there are often some crew members who will be coming back aboard in the wee hours of the morning (we are talking after 2am) as this is a rare opportunity for some of the crew to party all night :). When we have done overnights...it is always interesting to look at the eyes of the staff at breakfast..... The ones who parties most of the night will be the crew with the reddest eyes :).

Hank

When we did a recent over-night in Bermuda on a Eclipse TA, we met a couple who were celebrating a 45th wedding anniversary and stayed that overnight at the hotel they honeymooned at (now that's romantic).

Along you're back when the ship leaves, Celebrity does not care.