How easy is it to renew your passport?

Mine expires a few weeks before I sail on Anthem in October. How do I go about renewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I processed mine thru the Post Office here in NJ. I simply get an appropriate photo and bring it to the P O with the old passport, application and fee. One time I got a photo from Walgreen and it was returned as it was not appropriate.

Super easy. I printed the renewal, filled it out, got a new picture and sent it out with old passport. I did not even expedite it, I had it back in exactly 2 weeks from the day I sent it out. I did my husbands too and same thing, was super quick. Do not pay for expediting.

Take two passport photos to your local Post Office that processes passports. They'll walk you through it and advise if you need expedited handling. Always better to give yourself at least six months before you travel to play it safe and avoid expediting fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Super easy. I printed the renewal, filled it out, got a new picture and sent it out with old passport. I did not even expedite it, I had it back in exactly 2 weeks from the day I sent it out. I did my husbands too and same thing, was super quick. Do not pay for expediting.

Exact same experience for me.

I filled out the renewal form on-line using the State Department site and printed it. I then went to a UPS store where they took my photo and sent it all from there in an express envelope. I got the new passport within two weeks. This was last November.

If you order both the passport book and card and request expedited service the book will be sent first, the card will come by regular mail.

A key point is that if your old passport has not expired you can download the forms and renew by mail. You do not have to go in person. Very simple.

Our post office requires an appt, even for a renewal. The actual process isn't bad, but I learned the hard way about the need for appts in some locations.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A key point is that if your old passport has not expired you can download the forms and renew by mail. You do not have to go in person. Very simple.

You can renew your passport by mail if your passport is expired too, my son just did it last month. It has to be expired less than a year though.

Use the form filler in the link above and it will tell you whether or not you are eligible to renew by mail and it also fills out most of the information on the form for you. There are just a few questions at the end that you have to fill out yourself. Much less chance of errors if you use the automated form filler.

Mine expires a few weeks before I sail on Anthem in October. How do I go about renewing?

When mailing your filled out form with necessary requirements, the fastest way is paying the Expedited fee.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our local city hall does this...got our pictures taken at Costco..we just needed to in writing ask that our 10 year China Visa not be destroyed with the hole they usually punch in old passport.

I got my renewal back in 10 days, no expedited service. But, I had no change of address or anything. Just a new picture. Like the other posters said, you can do yourself, but I went through the post office. I didn't have an appointment and they weren't too happy, but squeezed us in...took all of 10 minutes from start to finish.

Sorry, we beat you. Only took 11 days. We were shocked. Our last renewal (even thought it was 9 1/2 years ago) took weeks. Easy peasy.

I had pictures taken at a store, mailed things in and they came back unprocessed. The pictures didn't meet the requirements. Went to the post office, they did pictures and it sailed through. Post office employee who took pictures said they had to go through training to be allowed to do pictures. Obviously, the other place just gave a camera out with not enough training.

I would always do the post office!

Thank you everyone. We are in the us so it seems easy enough

Yes, it really is easy and you are giving yourself time to get it done well in advance.

I personally also needed to get my passport renewed earlier this year and it took 3-4 weeks? At any rate, it should also be noted that 10 years ago was when Americans needed a passport for Canada and Mexico. Thus, there were significant delays in 2007. Those same people are now needing them renewed and I was told that there could be delays if I waited longer.

So, long story short, you should get them renewed sooner rather than later as there is no telling if there will be similar delays later on.