Great Bay Question

• 2 months later...
Yes... chair/umbrella rentals still available. . Usually 2 chairs, an umbrella, wifi and a couple drinks for $20

Agree...we have rented chairs/umbrella for several years now. I can't recall about the wifi but that may vary depending on which place you stop at. There are places to rent all along the boardwalk. We like going to Great Bay because it is an easy and safe walk from the cruise pier.

• 1 month later...
About how far is it to walk from the ship? Is there admission? Any shade? TIA

Probably about 20-25 minute walk. No admission charge, per se, but rental fees for chairs/umbrellas. There is a water taxi from cruise pier to a pier right in the middle of Great Bay beach - I think it's $6 or $7 for all day trips. There is no shade at all, making umbrella rental a good idea. The beach can get pretty crowded when several ships are in, so it may not be as enjoyable as some of the less convenient beaches. Finally, after heavy rains there is question of some pollution from run-off.

For a beach that is convenient to the cruise dock and town with nice views of the ships and water Great Bay can't be beat. We spent a week in GB and really enjoyed it for those views. Regarding the contamination concern after heavy run-offs, it had been dry before we arrived and while there, and we weren't concerned about being in the water along with everyone else but that's your decision of course.

We found Dawn to be very nice but just too busy. For a really nice beach with beautiful sand and water, great food, and lounge/umbrella rentals we loved Friar's Bay. If you eat at the FB Beach Club 2 lounges, table, and an umbrella are $10US..

For a beach that is convenient to the cruise dock and town with nice views of the ships and water Great Bay can't be beat. We spent a week in GB and really enjoyed it for those views. Regarding the contamination concern after heavy run-offs, it had been dry before we arrived and while there, and we weren't concerned about being in the water along with everyone else but that's your decision of course.

We found Dawn to be very nice but just too busy. For a really nice beach with beautiful sand and water, great food, and lounge/umbrella rentals we loved Friar's Bay. If you eat at the FB Beach Club 2 lounges, table, and an umbrella are $10US..

Okay, thank you for that information! I will do some research on Friar's Bay also. Have not completely ruled out Great Bay. Do you know if we DON'T eat at Friars Bay can we still rent chairs and umbrella or is it a "package deal?"

Okay, thank you for that information! I will do some research on Friar's Bay also. Have not completely ruled out Great Bay. Do you know if we DON'T eat at Friars Bay can we still rent chairs and umbrella or is it a "package deal?"

Are you renting a car? Personally I wouldn't rely on a taxi to get me back from Friars Bay unless I was on a cruise that departed late or stayed over night.

Yes the cost is just higher without eating there. The food at the club was amazing and reasonably priced. The other restaurant/bar was just opening for the season when we were there and has picnic tables and less expensive rentals, the name escapes me right now.

We drove to Friar's while staying in Great Bay, but based on reviews we've read from families who taxi there every time they cruise to SXM because it is their favorite beach we wouldn't hesitate to go there when on a cruise. One family said they paid the driver upon their return to the ship, while others just had the restaurant call.

But you need to be comfortable with your choice and GB and Divi are certainly "safer" options to many

^^ okay, thank you. So it's a distance from the ship? I am starting to lean toward Divi Little Bay, but am open to other options! Have been to Orient and want to try something different!

My driver, DH says it's about a 45 minute drive from the ship to Friars Beach.

We wouldn't put Friars in our top 5 beaches on the island (Little Bay either though), but DH says that he had the best Pina Colada EVER at the first beach bar there.:D

My driver, DH says it's about a 45 minute drive from the ship to Friars Beach.

We wouldn't put Friars in our top 5 beaches on the island (Little Bay either though), but DH says that he had the best Pina Colada EVER at the first beach bar there.:D

LOL No wonder you remember the beach so well! :tropical-drink:(y)

It's actually 25 - 30 min if you follow the east route past Orient, just 7 min past OB. We drove there on a busy ship day and didn't experience any traffic delays but it depends on the day of course. It is a much longer drive along the west route along with the traffic through Cole Bay and Marigot.

The other restaurant there is Chez Kali's I believe? A neat Rastafarian place serving French, international, and Jamaican specialities and very casual. The folks there were just cleaning up to open in Nov and were very friendly - will definitely go there if we ever return to SXM. But the food at Friar's Bay Cafe was amazing...

Sorry, don't mean to confuse you further!

It's actually 25 - 30 min if you follow the east route past Orient, just 7 min past OB. We drove there on a busy ship day and didn't experience any traffic delays but it depends on the day of course. It is a much longer drive along the west route along with the traffic through Cole Bay and Marigot.

The other restaurant there is Chez Kali's I believe? A neat Rastafarian place serving French, international, and Jamaican specialities and very casual. The folks there were just cleaning up to open in Nov and were very friendly - will definitely go there if we ever return to SXM. But the food at Friar's Bay Cafe was amazing...

Ya DH says that 30 -35 minutes going that way makes sense. Good way to avoid traffic to. :)

We only went to Chez Kali's once. Had the second worse burger in my life there ( the Peter Pan restaurant at Magic Kingdom got to keep its 1st place position) !:eek: It was a very, very, very, long time ago so hopefully things have changed there and since it's still open after all of these years then it most likely has.

;p:confused:

• 3 weeks later...