Water taxi - manual wheelchair??

Newbie545

It would be quite difficult.

The Water Taxi attendants are quick to help, and I have seen one passenger carried on board, but here is a shot of the entry to one of the Water Taxis.

th_DSCN3241.jpg

(click)

That said, it is a level and fairly even sidewalk journey to get into downtown Philipsburg.

Also, a land taxi should work well.

gary

Well looks like we'll be wheeling heard its nearly impossible to get a wheelchair taxi an our cruise will have a bunch of elderly due to being a theme cruise geared towards older crowd. - was hoping the water taxi would be more like the tenders we've used in other ports wheel on/off with a small ramp. Oh well thanks all.

• 1 month later...

I rode the water ferry in April with a friend who uses a scooter. They had us wait for a larger ferry and put a ramp across the gap. The crew helped several people using wheel chairs and scooters. It was very easy for them to get on and off.

• 4 weeks later...
I rode the water ferry in April with a friend who uses a scooter. They had us wait for a larger ferry and put a ramp across the gap. The crew helped several people using wheel chairs and scooters. It was very easy for them to get on and off.

Hi

We are off to St Maarten in Nov and wondered if you had any photos of the large water taxi that has a ramp for wheelchairs ?

I don't have photos of the larger water taxi, sorry. We were told to go to the end of the dock. A larger water taxi pulled in and a crew member hauled out a small, portable ramp that bridged the gap between the dock and the deck of the ferry. My friend drove her scooter across with no problem.

The smaller water taxis require passengers to be able to navigate several steps down into the boat.