Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Has anyone handed over a booked cruise to a TA?

Has anyone transferred their cruise booking out from Carnival and given it to a TA? I was told I could hand over my booked cruise to a TA. (The TA is a friend.) I hope everything stays the same and it won't impact me in anyway. Any advice will be appreciated...TY! __________________

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAPor View Post
Has anyone transferred their cruise booking out from Carnival and given it to a TA? I was told I could hand over my booked cruise to a TA. (The TA is a friend.) I hope everything stays the same and it won't impact me in anyway. Any advice will be appreciated...TY! __________________
Why would you do this? You've already booked the cruise, so what would you need a TA for?

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:21 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAPor View Post
We have done this. Ours can usually get us an OBC, or a better deal. If not, at least I know my friend is making some $$. She has found us great deals at other times, which is a perk.

You will lose nothing by transferring the reservation to your TA. The only downside is that if you want to change categories, dining times, etc., your TA has to do it for you, but since they are getting paid by the cruiseline, they shouldn't complain. Don't forget that if the price goes down before final payment, you should get the difference back. Just be sure she would do this for you.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Celebrity Silhouette (Eastern) 3/29/14, Carnival Valor (Southern girls' cruise) 7/21/13, Celebrity Summit (Southern) 3/30/13, Vision of the Seas (Southern 11 day) 12/24/12, Ruby Princess (Eastern) 4/3/11, Serenade of the Seas 4/3/10 (Southern), Carnival Valor (Western) 2/14/10, Adventure OTS 6/28/09 (Southern to the West), Mariner 3/30/08 (Eastern), Serenade 4/7/07 & 4/8/06 (Southern to the east), RCI Splendour (Western) 3/25/05, Celebrity Century (Eastern) 3/20/04, Celebrity Horizon (Eastern) 4/03, Golden Princess (Eastern) 3/30/02, RCI Grandeur (Southern to the west) 4/14/01, Carnival Holiday (Western) 3/28/92

Last edited by Sheffie; March 16th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Thank You!

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for the reply. You said exactly what I was thinking. Why let a stranger get the commission
Happy cruising!

Last edited by TravelingAPor; March 16th, 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

I do it with every booking. TA always offers me a discount so why not. Besides she is known by the cruiseline. If there is a problem I have a pro going to bat for me.

12 - 1991 Souvern of the Seas Caribbean, 1993 Star Princess - Caribbean, 1994 Regal Princess - Caribbean, 1995 NCL Dreamward - Caribbean, 1996 Veendam - Cruise with MOM - Caribbean, 12-31-2001 Granduer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2003 Veendam - our first girls cruise - Caribbean, 1-3-2004 Splendor of the Seas - Panama Canal, 1-1-2005 NCL Sun - Caribbean, 3-12-2006 Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean, 2007 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 2-25-2008 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 10-8-2008 Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 1-19-2009 Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean, 1-2-2010 Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean, 4-25-2010 Statendam - Panama Canal, 8-7-2010 Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda, 10-18-2010 Celebrity Mercury - Caribbean, 03-04-2011 Rotterdam - Hawaii & Tahiti-Amazing, Eurodam - Caribbean Nov 2012, Veendam - Canada/NE - Aug 2013, Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Dec 2013

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I do it all the time. I book the cruise on board and have it transferred to my travel agent. If I have a problem of any kind I walk out my back door, walk over to my neighbor and knocked on her door, my travel agent.

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Location: North in summer/Texas winter, but a Texan forever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hflors View Post
I do it with every booking. TA always offers me a discount so why not. Besides she is known by the cruiseline. If there is a problem I have a pro going to bat for me.
This is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while!!!

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffie View Post
We have done this. Ours can usually get us an OBC, or a better deal. If not, at least I know my friend is making some $$. She has found us great deals at other times, which is a perk.

You will lose nothing by transferring the reservation to your TA. The only downside is that if you want to change categories, dining times, etc., your TA has to do it for you, but since they are getting paid by the cruiseline, they shouldn't complain. Don't forget that if the price goes down before final payment, you should get the difference back. Just be sure she would do this for you.
Thank you for being kind enough to explain why anyone would book a cruise and then transfer the booking to a TA. I appreciate the info.

I thought that TA's could not offer a different/better rate than the cruiseline itself actually offers!

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fydlstyx View Post
Thank you for being kind enough to explain why anyone would book a cruise and then transfer the booking to a TA. I appreciate the info.

I thought that TA's could not offer a different/better rate than the cruiseline itself actually offers!
By giving up part of their commission, a TA could make a better offer, or if they're including your reservation in a group rate it could be a discounted offer.

What I don't understand is why not just make the booking with the TA in the first place.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM
20,000+ Club

No I just book with my TA to begin with

Get the perks

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLady View Post
By giving up part of their commission, a TA could make a better offer, or if they're including your reservation in a group rate it could be a discounted offer.

What I don't understand is why not just make the booking with the TA in the first place.
Part of planning any trip for me is choosing EVERY thing and overseeing every detail. I think a TA would hate working with me. I like to select my cabin on a cruise, select my seat on airplanes, etc. The possibility of a discounted rate or OBC is tempting, but I think the only way I would use a TA is if I made all my choices and showed up with everything printed out.

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Part of planning any trip for me is choosing EVERY thing and overseeing every detail. I think a TA would hate working with me. I like to select my cabin on a cruise, select my seat on airplanes, etc. The possibility of a discounted rate or OBC is tempting, but I think the only way I would use a TA is if I made all my choices and showed up with everything printed out.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many of us here are detailed and do all of our planning. Heck, you're making it even easier on the TA. I like to keep the $ local and use my TA here, and get a better deal than the cruiseline every single time.

Celebrity S-Class cabin spreadsheet

Videos
Liberty of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Feb 2013
Freedom of the Seas Video of the Ben & Jerry's "Sweet" - Sept 2008
Does the cruise ship wait for you? Passengers missing ship - Feb 2009

Upcoming
Norwegian Getaway, October 25, 2014 roll call
HAL Ryndam, February 8, 2015
Celebrity Equinox, July 4, 2015 roll call
RCCL Majesty of the Seas, August 21, 2015

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I also do it all the time. I have an excellent TA, but I enjoy booking the cruise myself first.

2014, Carnival Miracle, Mexican Riviera
2012, Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
2012, Noordam, Southern Caribbean
2012, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Rotterdam, Peru to Fort Lauderdale
2011, Royal Princess, French Polynesia
2010-2011, Carnival Spirit, Mexican Riviera
2010, Noordam, Southern Caribbean
2009, Maasdam, Western Caribbean
1989, Stardancer, Mexican Riviera
1989, Regent Star, Panama Canal/Caribbean
1988, Noordam, Alaska
1972, Italy to Greece

Old March 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLady View Post
........What I don't understand is why not just make the booking with the TA in the first place.
Because you may not have enough time to shop around to compare offers from TA's when you see the cabin you want at a good price. So we find it easiest to go ahead and book what we want when we see it, then take our time to look around for the best deal from a TA.

Once you give your booking to a TA, the cruise line will no longer deal with you.
So from then on you have the nuisance of needing to go through a third party for every little thing.

Also, we dislike that all our financial information disappears from our cruise account as soon as we transfer the booking to a TA.
It no longer shows the amount paid to date or remaining balance due.
We can no longer make payments directly to the cruise line but must depend on the TA to make the payments for us.

Quote:
........ The possibility of a discounted rate or OBC is tempting, but I think the only way I would use a TA is if I made all my choices and showed up with everything printed out.
That is the way we do it. We are also "do it yourself" types.

We like to select the cabin we want, book the cruise, select the options we want, apply whatever discount or onboard credit certificates or vouchers we have, book our own transfers, hotels, and airline flights.

Then after we have everything set up just the way we want it, we wait until the last minute to transfer the booking to the TA who offers the best deal.

But unfortunately, from that point on it is necessary to go through the TA for changes or additions, even a price adjustment or cabin switch.

Granted, it can be a pain exchanging voice mail messages back and forth via a third party when you are accustomed to making one call directly to the cruise line and having your request completed before you hang up.

But when I am receiving hundreds of dollars of additional perks from the TA (on some cruises even more), I am willing to put up with the inconveniences of third-party voice mail messages and lack of access to my own payment information on my cruise account.

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The cruise line gets their money either way. I like using our local TA to give a local business an opportunity to stay open. They have always been super professional. If they ever close I will stop booking with a TA and book myself. But for now the local agency gets our business.

Glitter Text Generator

Past Cruises
Dec 3 2012 RC Explorer of the Seas Eastern Carribbean
June 20 2010 Carnival Pride Bahamas
Sept 2 2009 RC Jewel of the Seas TA
Jan 2009 RC Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean
Sept 11 2008 RC Explorer of the Seas Canada
Jan 2008 RC Brilliance of the Seas Panama Canal
June 2 2007 RC Radiance of the Seas Alaska

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:50 PM
5,000+ Club

On a previous cruise, I booked a cruise with the Future Cruise rep. Once finished she asked me if I would like her to transfer my booking to my TA at home. I thanked her and asked her to do that. This was the first time I hadn't booked a cruise originally with my TA, but I wanted to take advantage of the $100 deposit available on board.

Golden Princess - 07.21.15 Back to Alaska
Grand Princess - 04.13.14 Hawaii (b2b)
Grand Princess - 04.06.14 Calif Coastal (b2b)
Sea Princess - 06.02.12 Alaska
Sea Princess - 05.07.10 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess - 04.19.09 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - 03.02.08 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - 10.21.06 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Star - 06.04.05 Hawaiian Isls, Fanning Island

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Nothing changes!!?

The reason I posed the question, in the first place, was to make sure nothing changes! Thanks to all your replies, I am ready to switch the booking to my TA.
Now I hope nothing else happens to a Carnival ship!