San Diego - Sheraton Hotel & Marina

We are booked for the Sheraton Hotel & Marina in San Diego, through HAL, for Oct 3, for a post cruise stay of one night. I'm thinking that I might have made a mistake in booking a hotel that is a ways from the downtown area. I spoke to HAL about cancelling the post cruise stay but the cancellation would be subject to a cancellation fee as we are after final payment date. I am a little too frugal to lose money like that but will, if the benefits offset the cancellation fee.

The hotel website says there is a Big Bay Shuttle but it looks like it stops running after Labour Day.

What are our transportation options to get us to downtown SD, or to Balboa Park, from the Sheraton?

Thanks very much!

We are booked for the Sheraton Hotel & Marina in San Diego, through HAL, for Oct 3, for a post cruise stay of one night. I'm thinking that I might have made a mistake in booking a hotel that is a ways from the downtown area. I spoke to HAL about cancelling the post cruise stay but the cancellation would be subject to a cancellation fee as we are after final payment date. I am a little too frugal to lose money like that but will, if the benefits offset the cancellation fee.

The hotel website says there is a Big Bay Shuttle but it looks like it stops running after Labour Day.

What are our transportation options to get us to downtown SD, or to Balboa Park, from the Sheraton?

Thanks very much!

Cab, not that far.

Thanks very much!

Sheraton's not the most convenient location (and I've actually stayed there once)...It's on Harbor Island--literally in the shadow of the Airport...And you can't really walk anywhere from there...

HOWEVER...it really isn't that far from things by taxi...Only 3 miles to the Gaslamp District/Horton Plaza, etc. It's 1.9 miles to the Star of India (the closest stop for the Trolley Tour--HOHO bus tour)...

For future reference, I'd recommend staying right in the Gaslamp--or in one of the big hotels on the Waterfront near Petco Park and Seaport Village...

For one day, though, you can probably put up with a few cab fares and the minor inconvenience...I wouldn't worry much about it for this one...

Have fun...

Actually, the Sheraton Harbor Island is quite nice. There are lovely views from most rooms, of either the bay or marina, and it has its own restaurant, plus a tapas/wine bar and a sports bar with casual food. There are other restaurants on the island - on one end is "C Level" which is quite upscale and on the other end is Tom Hamm's Lighthouse, not so upscale, but recently upgraded and serves a pretty good meal. They both have spectacular city and harbor views. They're each probably about a mile from the hotel, but if you can handle the distance, it's a beautiful walk along the shoreline. As others have said, it's a short cab ride to the pier and downtown, or also to Liberty Station which has lots of interesting shops and restaurants.

Sheraton's not the most convenient location (and I've actually stayed there once)...It's on Harbor Island--literally in the shadow of the Airport...And you can't really walk anywhere from there...

HOWEVER...it really isn't that far from things by taxi...Only 3 miles to the Gaslamp District/Horton Plaza, etc. It's 1.9 miles to the Star of India (the closest stop for the Trolley Tour--HOHO bus tour)...

For future reference, I'd recommend staying right in the Gaslamp--or in one of the big hotels on the Waterfront near Petco Park and Seaport Village...

For one day, though, you can probably put up with a few cab fares and the minor inconvenience...I wouldn't worry much about it for this one...

Have fun...

It is not LITERALLY in the shadow of the airport.

Thanks, everyone. We cancelled the HAL Sheraton package and booked at the Best Western Bayside. Still saved money, even with the cancellation fee. Will also save in transportation costs from the sounds of the above posts. BW also has a free breakfast, which was not included in the HAL package.

• 2 months later...

My daughter (22) and I stayed at the Wyndham Bayside hotel for 6 nights early September and it was great. Location was right across the street from cruise ship pier, visitors center, free shuttle to and from airport, free shuttle to seaport village, san diego zoo and horton plaza at scheduled times of the day. Hotel has free wifi but no breakfast included. There is a cafe next door with very reasonable prices for breakfast,lunch and dinner items. Airport is only about 10 min away and their shuttle was outside waiting. HOHO trolley also right across the street. You must try the Donut Bar for breakfast and coffee, yummy selection, and within walking distance a few blocks away. Santa Fe trolley station 2 blocks behind hotel. Our room was very comfortable and had a balcony that faced bayside.