Edinburgh Questions

roothy123

I've been to Edinburgh once and enjoyed it quite a bit. Now I'd like to do something a bit different. One thing I'm possibly interested in is walking or riding up to Arthur's Seat for the view. Does anyone know if there's a public bus that goes up there, or if not, about how much a taxi might cost to the top? Also, a link to the public transportation website in Edinburgh would be nice, as would info on whether there's a bus that goes up to Calton Hill. Thanks.

I've been to Edinburgh once and enjoyed it quite a bit. Now I'd like to do something a bit different. One thing I'm possibly interested in is walking or riding up to Arthur's Seat for the view. Does anyone know if there's a public bus that goes up there, or if not, about how much a taxi might cost to the top? Also, a link to the public transportation website in Edinburgh would be nice, as would info on whether there's a bus that goes up to Calton Hill. Thanks.

As a student I used to walk up Arthur's Seat regularly - particularly late at night with a group of friends after few drinks! Here's a few guided walks I've found and also the option of doing a guided tour:

http://www.geowalks.co.uk/iarthurwalks.html

The Lothian buses website is helpful but as far as I know there are no buses that go up Arthur's Seat or Calton Hill, although Calton Hill is really accessible from Princes Street

https://lothianbuses.co.uk

I really don't know about the cost of taxis. It wouldn't be much to do Calton Hill but the drive to the top of Arthur's Seat as it's circular tour round the hill and it's also located a bit away from the city centre. Hope yo enjoy your visit

As a student I used to walk up Arthur's Seat regularly - particularly late at night with a group of friends after few drinks! Here's a few guided walks I've found and also the option of doing a guided tour:

http://www.geowalks.co.uk/iarthurwalks.html

The Lothian buses website is helpful but as far as I know there are no buses that go up Arthur's Seat or Calton Hill, although Calton Hill is really accessible from Princes Street

https://lothianbuses.co.uk

I really don't know about the cost of taxis. It wouldn't be much to do Calton Hill but the drive to the top of Arthur's Seat as it's circular tour round the hill and it's also located a bit away from the city centre. Hope yo enjoy your visit

We are doing something very different. We berth in S. Queensferry and have been to Edinburgh many times. Our plan is to visit the S. Queensferry museum, pub lunch, then visit Hopetoun House for their 2 pm tour and afternoon tea.

We are doing something very different. We berth in S. Queensferry and have been to Edinburgh many times. Our plan is to visit the S. Queensferry museum, pub lunch, then visit Hopetoun House for their 2 pm tour and afternoon tea.

There's always a fair number of cruises who're happy to stay around South Queensferry. Some like to do a bit of the John Muir Way, others what you're doing and some just a leisurely stroll along the sea-front / coffee. If you ask one of the volunteers on the pier, they'll give you a map and info about Queensferry

There's always a fair number of cruises who're happy to stay around South Queensferry. Some like to do a bit of the John Muir Way, others what you're doing and some just a leisurely stroll along the sea-front / coffee. If you ask one of the volunteers on the pier, they'll give you a map and info about Queensferry

Great to know.

When we visited Edinburgh, we anchored off South Queensferry. Yes, it's a nice little place - but if you haven't been to Edinburgh, I wouldn't recommend not making the effort to go there. Even if you just find a shuttle, bus or taxi and then take the Hop On Hop Off bus around Edinburgh, it's a fun way to spend a day.

When we visited Edinburgh, we anchored off South Queensferry. Yes, it's a nice little place - but if you haven't been to Edinburgh, I wouldn't recommend not making the effort to go there. Even if you just find a shuttle, bus or taxi and then take the Hop On Hop Off bus around Edinburgh, it's a fun way to spend a day.

So agree -- we have been to Edinburgh many times with my Scots uncle and aunt and after several days of being on-the-go a leisurely day sounds great.