What does aft cabin mean?

leipoppy

Hi All,

Just got our cruise documents for the Pride of Aloha 07/29/2007 - we are on deck 10, aft cabin 0240 (blacony). Can someone please explain to me what does aft mean and is this a good location? Not that I really mind, am absolutely stoked we have a balcony but was just interested :-)

Hi All,

Just got our cruise documents for the Pride of Aloha 07/29/2007 - we are on deck 10, aft cabin 0240 (blacony). Can someone please explain to me what does aft mean and is this a good location? Not that I really mind, am absolutely stoked we have a balcony but was just interested :-)

Aft stateroom is a stateroom in the back of the ship. Aft means back.

Hi All,

We've never sailed aft., though many love the aft.

My sister just sailed aft., and loved it.

They kept their balcony doors open all of the time...even when sleeping..they said it was like sleeping with a waterfall;)

Sounds wonderful.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Thanks! I'm a little confused though because it says cabin 0240 which on the deck plan is in the middle of the ship however beneath the cabin no. it says AFT. Am I going nuts or is the aft a mistake? I can't see any other cabin 0240s that are aft!

Thanks! I'm a little confused though because it says cabin 0240 which on the deck plan is in the middle of the ship however beneath the cabin no. it says AFT. Am I going nuts or is the aft a mistake? I can't see any other cabin 0240s that are aft!

Hi leipoppy, I think 'aft' in this case just means that your cabin is towards the back of the ship so when you get on you can be directed to the nearest bank of elevators.

Many use the term "aft" to describe those few cabins that face aft or are on the very BACK of the ship.

Aft is also used by the cruiseline to describe the general area of the ship.

Forward, midships and aft. If you are looking at an online cabin map, you can see exactly where your cabin is located.

Aft?

Look at the deck plans of any NCL cruise ship.

There's usually three banks of elevators.

Cabins near the forward bank and forward are FWD cabins.

Cabins near the midship bank and between the fore and aft banks are MID cabins.

Cabins near the aft bank and aft are AFT cabins.

In this discussion forum, discussions involving aft suites and aft cabins are usually about AFT FACING balcony cabins, be they BA, Mini-Suites, or Suites.

Some ships also use the Forward, Mid, and Aft designations to help baggage handlers use the correct section of the ship to deliver luggage before it's doled out to each cabin.

A few ships use only Forward and Aft for this purpose, which is disconcerting when you have a completely midship cabin and your baggage tag reads Forward ... lol ...

Some ships also use the Forward, Mid, and Aft designations to help baggage handlers use the correct section of the ship to deliver luggage before it's doled out to each cabin.

A few ships use only Forward and Aft for this purpose, which is disconcerting when you have a completely midship cabin and your baggage tag reads Forward ... lol ...

True! But the usual reason for this is that there's just two banks of elevators, one forward and another aft. Usually these ships don't have a midship elevator bank. The purpose for designation on your baggage tags is to identify which elevator bank is closest to your cabin.

I suspect when people rave about "aft" staterooms they really should be using the term "stern." Aft means toward or at the rear of the ship, not necessarily at the stern facing the wake. Many--including me--feel "stern" staterooms are the most desirable within their category.

You are truly funny. I called my friend on the pride of aloha yesterday to ask her what room she was in and if she had airconditioning but she sidetracked me on her flight details. Her united flight to Hawaii had a fire in the engine, had to turn back, then was delayed again because the co-pilot had a heart attack. She said there were 176 passengers trying to get to the cruise which they all barely made it. I asked if she was o.k., she said sure I'm in Hawaii. Can't wait for my flight on united June 22, for the june 24th sailing!!!!!

Archived