Before Photoshop there was....?

pierces

Twenty-five years ago, Adobe took the first step on a path that changed graphic design forever. At least they changed how it was done. Watch the video in the link below to see how it was done before computer editing became the norm.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/how-graphic-designers-photoshopped-images-before-photos-1717800985

We take a lot for granted these days. :)

Dave

Edited by pierces

Very interesting. I'm sitting here looking at the stack of photo books I've had made by Smilebooks. Can't imagine even attempting that type of layout by hand.

Back when our sons were little ( a looong time ago) I took a class in black and white photography - using film of course. From developing the film to printing enlargements. That was when I learned that there were different types of paper depending on the look you wanted.

I love digital. :D

I still do!

But now I let the little elves work their magic in the mystical darkroom deep in the inkjet and watch in silent wonder as the picture appears from nowhere....one line at a time!

;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

I still do!

But now I let the little elves work their magic in the mystical darkroom deep in the inkjet and watch in silent wonder as the picture appears from nowhere

Dave

I did the usual B&W in the darkroom and even did color work developing Ansco, I think it was, now all those slides are orange!!! But the Cibachrome still looks good!

Unless it was dropping off at the Fox Photo shack at the strip mall, I didn't manipulate my photos for years. My first experience with developing my own photos was my freshman year of college, when I took a photography class. My dorm bathroom was my darkroom. I was never very good at it and didn't take another photography class after that. I do recall the acrid odor of developer and stop bath.

At any rate, it was another 10 years before I got back into photography and by then, digital was in like a lion. I started with Elements 2 and once I was proficient with that, I took an Adobe offer for Elements users to get CS2. Eventually, I bumped up to CS5 and plan to remain with it until something else tops it. I have Lightroom, but don't care for it. As an occasional user, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee for their cloud-based service.

I did pick up the Nik suite when Google bought them and use DxO Optics Pro for my RAW processing. I have Portrait Pro, but haven't really done anything with it.

Unless it was dropping off at the Fox Photo shack at the strip mall, I didn't manipulate my photos for years. My first experience with developing my own photos was my freshman year of college, when I took a photography class. My dorm bathroom was my darkroom. I was never very good at it and didn't take another photography class after that. I do recall the acrid odor of developer and stop bath.

At any rate, it was another 10 years before I got back into photography and by then, digital was in like a lion. I started with Elements 2 and once I was proficient with that, I took an Adobe offer for Elements users to get CS2. Eventually, I bumped up to CS5 and plan to remain with it until something else tops it. I have Lightroom, but don't care for it. As an occasional user, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee for their cloud-based service.

I did pick up the Nik suite when Google bought them and use DxO Optics Pro for my RAW processing. I have Portrait Pro, but haven't really done anything with it.

You thought it was an acrid odor then.

In one of my former lives I operated the photo finish at race tracks.

Because the negative was required quick but, quality wasn't that important we really pumped up the temperature of the developer and of course that caused more fumes in a small enclosed box about 5 foot square and just over 6 foot high, I can assure you some days I was high.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we all dating ourselves as "old as dirt"? We had a darkroom in our basement when I was in grade school - just for printing. Dad took the film to the drugstore to be sent in for processing. I still have some enlargements my Dad made of the aftermath of a fire in the building he worked in - early 1950's.