Air Hawk Wheelchair

Aqua's Mom

I am looking at buying an Air Hawk portable wheelchair. We will be flying and taking a long cruise on Holland America in October. Has anyone had experienc with this chair? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Have no experience with this chair. However checked it out on line. Did you book an Accessible Cabin ? Reason being that the AIR Hawk's width at the wheelbase is 23" which will most likely prohibit from being driven into/out of the cabin. HAL's standard cabin doorways are 23" wide measured door frame to door frame. You than have to deduct 2" for the depth of the door as it does not open flush to wall leaving a threshold clearance with of 21".

Yes' date=' I booked 5051 on the New Amsterdam (so?).[/quote']

So since it's an accessible cabin the entrance door threshold will be wide enough to drive the AIR HAWK into and out of the cabin. If it was a standard cabin the doorway threshold is will not be wide enough to that as explained in my previous post.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I am looking at buying an Air Hawk portable wheelchair. We will be flying and taking a long cruise on Holland America in October. Has anyone had experienc with this chair? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have the Air Hawk but I checked it out and it is very similar to the one I have, the EZ Lite Cruiser. I used it on our last cruise and it was really great for me. However, we don't fly to port so I can't help you any with the airlines.

If I had seen the Air Hawk before I got the one I got, I probably would have gotten it. It cost less and has a lot more free things with it.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I just bought the Air Hawk. Looks like there is a learning curve to driving around smoothly. Our cruise is Oct. 3 - 23. I'll let you know how it works out.

If it is like the EZ Lite Cruiser, it does take some practice. Mine went too fast on the first setting so I ordered a mechanism that you could change the settings. I then set it how I wanted it. It made it easier on the ship. I wanted to be able to go really slow at times.

I hope you enjoy your chair and your cruise!

Edited by mistshar

If it is like the EZ Lite Cruiser, it does take some practice. Mine went too fast on the first setting so I ordered a mechanism that you could change the settings. I then set it how I wanted it. It made it easier on the ship. I wanted to be able to go really slow at times.

I hope you enjoy your chair and your cruise!

Did you order the mechanism from EZ Lite?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...

I was looking at buying one of these folding wheelchairs myself and these look to be two of the better ones. I like that the EZ Cruiser has a reclining back rest and you can get adjustable foot rests too (I really need to elevate my legs when possible) but I hate that they put the battery underneath so I don't have that easy to access space available for stuff. Of course, they claim that their battery design is better, but ironically the AirHawk claims to get up to 25 miles I believe if you get the dual batteries which is quite impressive for a folding chair. Any feedback on these after having them for awhile now?

I think there are some Lexis Light users in the forum - you might start a new thread with that in the title to attract them. That "world's lightest scooter" claim is hype, mine weighs less at 53 lb. ;) But there are a number of folding scooters in that same weight range. It's just a matter of what combination of price and features suits you best. Also, I like Discover Your Mobility and ordered my scooter from them, but the package of accessories that they send with each scooter mostly doesn't fit a folding scooter. I haven't tried the umbrella, I am really hoping I can get that to work to have it along on our Alaska cruise!

I bought a different folding scooter, the Triaxe Sport, and I think they all have a learning curve. I've had mine about 4 months and I'm still working out the best way to do things *for me* - everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. We cruise in May but we are going to Houston in a couple of weeks for my nephew's wedding, and I've talked DH into making it a test for how things will run for our cruise - taking both scooter and my manual wheelchair as well as luggage, using the scooter to get around the airport, etc. - the benefit to the trial being that I'll have more "down" time to recover than I will getting to the ship. So if something is a problem, we'll have time to consider alternatives before we cruise.

Thank you for your great advice. I actually did a little more research on that particular model and found tons of bad reviews. (not just a few....a lot). So, back to the drawing board. Wishing you luck with the wedding and your cruise and hope you come back and tell us how everything was with your new scooter.

I hope you read the bad reviews carefully. I've seen a lot of reviews criticizing products for not doing what they didn't claim they could do, or for features that the reviewer didn't like but that I would either like or not care about. However, there are plenty of other manufacturers and models available to check out! I actually wanted one that would fold and unfold itself ;) but their weight limits weren't high enough for me to use.

I was looking at buying one of these folding wheelchairs myself and these look to be two of the better ones. I like that the EZ Cruiser has a reclining back rest and you can get adjustable foot rests too (I really need to elevate my legs when possible) but I hate that they put the battery underneath so I don't have that easy to access space available for stuff. Of course, they claim that their battery design is better, but ironically the AirHawk claims to get up to 25 miles I believe if you get the dual batteries which is quite impressive for a folding chair. Any feedback on these after having them for awhile now?

They came out with the reclining back one right after I got mine. I still like mine very much. Whenever I have messaged the company with a question they are always quick to respond. So if you have any questions, I am sure they will help you.

After much research, I just purchased a scooter that seems to meet my needs. My circumstances are not as critical as some other people. I just cannot walk long distances anymore. My last cruise proved extremely challenging and was unable to leave the ship. With my up coming cruise to the ABC Islands for the first time, I refuse to miss it!!! This seems like the perfect solution. I did not want to invest thousands of dollars, since I only need the scooter for certain circumstances. I saw another post about the Echo 3. Pretty good reviews on Ebay and the company website. I saw it was advertised at Walgreens for $499 plus free shipping. I then found a coupon for Walgreens for $75 on retailmenot!!!! Yipeeeee. Here is a pic. It will be here on Friday according to the Fex Ex confirmation. I will let you know how it works out.

155_zpsrs7hqwuz.jpg

After much research, I just purchased a scooter that seems to meet my needs. My circumstances are not as critical as some other people. I just cannot walk long distances anymore. My last cruise proved extremely challenging and was unable to leave the ship. With my up coming cruise to the ABC Islands for the first time, I refuse to miss it!!! This seems like the perfect solution. I did not want to invest thousands of dollars, since I only need the scooter for certain circumstances. I saw another post about the Echo 3. Pretty good reviews on Ebay and the company website. I saw it was advertised at Walgreens for $499 plus free shipping. I then found a coupon for Walgreens for $75 on retailmenot!!!! Yipeeeee. Here is a pic. It will be here on Friday according to the Fex Ex confirmation. I will let you know how it works out.

155_zpsrs7hqwuz.jpg

Just wanted to do a follow-up in case anyone was interested. My Echo 3 was delivered yesterday as promised. I am amazed what this is for the price. When my hubby got home from work, he had it together in three minutes without even looking at the instructions. It comes apart in three pieces for easy loading into your car. (I can even do it). No tools needed. I had so much fun zipping around the house last night and I am overwhelmed with joy knowing I can get around a ship and tour the Islands. LOVE this scooter.

So glad you are enjoying your scooter! I prefer folding to take-apart but it sounds like this will work well for you. You will not believe the freedom it will give you! And remember it will work at home as well as on a cruise. ;) I use mine to get down the long hallways at the YMCA between the check-in area and the workout room. DH and I are flying to a family wedding this weekend and I am SO looking forward to using mine at the airports - poor DH won't have to push me down those long hallways THIS flight! Do remember to let us know how the scooter worked on your next cruise.

I will try to do research but in the meantime I own a longnlasting, dying now folding scooter -Easy Travel light, which we purchased from site "Planet Mobility", online. The owner of the company was prosecuted and I think found guilty of various rip offs. Google "plantet mobility complaints".

You will notice many links list the site mentioned in thread "discovermymobility " as connected to the original family and site. The page for air hawk and easy travel are identical to original. (I checked because the free added items was a big draw on original.)

You can see online that people have said the two Michigan mobility equipment companies are run by his family members. People wrote to Tzora, the Israeli manufacturer and so far no other definite different owner sells them. I had no problems, but when this one had problems (after 11 years!) and I went searching I discovered more recent issues, closed company website, identical new site with different company name. For what it is worth, the complaints I read online reflect on website seller, tzora scooters are great.

Just wanted to do a follow-up in case anyone was interested. My Echo 3 was delivered yesterday as promised. I am amazed what this is for the price. When my hubby got home from work, he had it together in three minutes without even looking at the instructions. It comes apart in three pieces for easy loading into your car. (I can even do it). No tools needed. I had so much fun zipping around the house last night and I am overwhelmed with joy knowing I can get around a ship and tour the Islands. LOVE this scooter.

So glad this is working for you. It looks like we live in the same area. I have a Wheelchair88.com folding chair and if you are ever interested in taking it for a little test drive, let me know. It is the same as the EZlite.

So glad this is working for you. It looks like we live in the same area. I have a Wheelchair88.com folding chair and if you are ever interested in taking it for a little test drive, let me know. It is the same as the EZlite.

Oh my goodness. What a small world. Spent most of my life in Morris County....(Parsippany, Roxbury and Mount Olive). We decided to "pre" purchase our retirement home after being "empty nesters" in Panther Valley. I don't know if you know where that is. (close to Hackettstown).

As far as your wheel-chair, I had to look it up, as I have never heard of it. I am in the medical field and worked at Kessler in the brain trauma unit for many years. We had NOTHING like that chair. How amazing and how helpful that would have been for a lot of patients. (the stand up model). I, myself am not disabled and have no need for this, but it is amazing. I just have a medical issue which prevents me from walking any long distances....hence, my cute little scooter. :) Have I said how much I LOVE it??? LOL. Cannot wait for my next cruise in October!

• 5 months later...

I am in North Carolina too and trying to decide between these two chairs. Do you know how high you can elevate your legs with the EZ Cruiser? have to elevate them frequently.

• 2 months later...

I've done all the online research I can and I plan to order an AirHawk wheelchair tomorrow. We have several land trips and cruises booked for 2018 and I'm looking forward to be able to fully participate in the excursions. I don't think I'll be using it on the ship (other than getting on and off the ship). I'll post my impressions in this board.

I will try to do research but in the meantime I own a longnlasting, dying now folding scooter -Easy Travel light, which we purchased from site "Planet Mobility", online. The owner of the company was prosecuted and I think found guilty of various rip offs. Google "plantet mobility complaints".

You will notice many links list the site mentioned in thread "discovermymobility " as connected to the original family and site. The page for air hawk and easy travel are identical to original. (I checked because the free added items was a big draw on original.)

You can see online that people have said the two Michigan mobility equipment companies are run by his family members. People wrote to Tzora, the Israeli manufacturer and so far no other definite different owner sells them. I had no problems, but when this one had problems (after 11 years!) and I went searching I discovered more recent issues, closed company website, identical new site with different company name. For what it is worth, the complaints I read online reflect on website seller, tzora scooters are great.

'

Aqua Mom's post stated that the cruise was in October. Being it's November 23rd kind of think she already purchased a scooter. So regrettably your research probably won't help her. However please post what you do find out perhaps on a separate thread as it may be of interest to others planning to purchase a scooter.