Iguanid Falls Private Tour

CruisePrincess6

We did the same as Floridiana, saved heaps and stayed at Sheraton in the park. You do not need a guide r organised tour. Taxis are fixed price from their port to town and reverse as are trips to Brazil side. You can walk everywhere on the Argentina and Brazil side once you pay the entry fee at the parks entrances. Not expensive either and there are good maps showing where you are going.

We only have 1 or 2 days to do this since we're on a b2b and still want a day to see BA where the ship will be for 3 days. Have been told we can only see Argentina side which is fine. How easy is it to make air reservations close to time of trip and picking up taxi from ship to airport?

You've been told by whom that you can only see the Argentine side of the park? You could spend a half day on the Brazil side and the longer day on the Argentine side.

You would, though, have to get a Brazilian visa (depending on passport and date of trip) to go to the Brazilian side of the park, from which most of the iconic photos of the falls are taken. The visa is good for 10 years, giving you a chance for perhaps a dedicated trip to unique Brazil for the money spent. Some people make obtaining a visa into a major deal, or deal breaker, but my experience has been that it is quite easy.

Generally in SA, the closer to departure date, the more air fares go up.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

You've been told by whom that you can only see the Argentine side of the park? You could spend a half day on the Brazil side and the longer day on the Argentine side.

You would, though, have to get a Brazilian visa (depending on passport and date of trip) to go to the Brazilian side of the park, from which most of the iconic photos of the falls are taken. The visa is good for 10 years, giving you a chance for perhaps a dedicated trip to unique Brazil for the money spent. Some people make obtaining a visa into a major deal, or deal breaker, but my experience has been that it is quite easy.

My experience was that getting the Brazilian visa was a major hassle not to mention the expense. If your only purpose in getting this visa is to see the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls, that is not worth the money IMO.

I totally disagree with the above poster. It's a fantastic experience and well worth the money as it gives a very different perspective of the falls. It was a wonderful experience from both sides and made visiting the falls a highlight of our South America trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the trip on our own as well. Book the flights via TAM or LAN, you go from the domestic airport which is about 15 minutes from the pier (just don't book too early as they will not let you off the ship early). On arrival we got a radio cab which took us to the Sheraton. You do need Brazilian money to pay the park fee. After that you just hike the trails, ride the train, etc. . We had a cab take us to the Brazil side and then flew back to the US via the Brazilian airport via Sao Paulo.

Day 1: We flew Aerolineas Argentinas from the domestic airport in Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu on the Argentinian side. A taxi dispatcher was in the small airport and assigned us a taxi to the hotel St.Georges in downtown Puerto Iguazu. The hotel called a taxi to take us to the Brazilian side where we spent a few hours and the taxi took us back to the hotel.

Day 2: We visited the Argentinian side all day, walked the major trails.

Day 3: We flew back to Buenos Aires. Take a morning flight.

If you stay in the Sheraton on the Argentinian side of the falls, you have very easy access to the falls by walking and by the little tram to the end point. The hotel is located inside the park.

If you have a European passport, you probably don't need a visa for Brazil, depends on your country.

Edited by Floridiana

• 1 month later...
We did the same as Floridiana, saved heaps and stayed at Sheraton in the park. You do not need a guide r organised tour. Taxis are fixed price from their port to town and reverse as are trips to Brazil side. You can walk everywhere on the Argentina and Brazil side once you pay the entry fee at the parks entrances. Not expensive either and there are good maps showing where you are going.

Do you need a brazilian visa to go to the brazilian side? I know, seems obvious but I thought there might be an exception inside the park.

Do you need a brazilian visa to go to the brazilian side? I know, seems obvious but I thought there might be an exception inside the park.

No you need a visa, but that's for Australia, if you're from US it might be different

US citizens entering Brazil need a visa (no exceptions for the park).

You are not inside the park when you cross the border into Brazil. The Argentine side of the park and the Brazilian side are not connected on land; they are separated by the river of which the falls are a part. The two entrances are quite far apart by road.

When you cross the border, you sign out of Argentina at their booth. Then you are stamped into Brazil at their booth. From there, you could go to the town of Foz, to the entrance to the Brazilian side of the park, the Brazilian airport, the bus station, or anywhere else in the country of Brazil. Hence the need for a visa.

Also, the tri-border area is a major smuggling route, so trusting the word of a supposed tourist that s/he is only going straight to the park is simply not realistic.

The visa requirement has been waived for a few countries around the time of the Olympics. Check the Brazilian Consulate website(s) for exact dates.

We did the trip on our own as well. Book the flights via TAM or LAN, you go from the domestic airport which is about 15 minutes from the pier (just don't book too early as they will not let you off the ship early). On arrival we got a radio cab which took us to the Sheraton. You do need Brazilian money to pay the park fee. After that you just hike the trails, ride the train, etc. . We had a cab take us to the Brazil side and then flew back to the US via the Brazilian airport via Sao Paulo.

You need Argentinian pesos to pay the park fee if you go to the Sheraton.

I'm pretty budget conscious, and had a reservation at an inexpensive guest house in Puerto Iguazu. However, I kept reading that the Sheraton was worth the expense, so I stayed there 2 nights instead - using cash and Starwood points. BEST decision I could've made! :D I went to the park the afternoon I arrived, then first thing the next morning. By the time I had spent a few hours in the park and hit all the trails, it was getting pretty hot, humid, and crowded. It was so convenient to return to the Sheraton for a few hours, then go back into the park later. I also did a quick walk around one of the trails in the morning before returning to the airport for my flight to Salta. I didn't go to the Brazilian side.

We did the falls on our own. We arranged our flights rt from Buenos Aires, hired a private guide to pick us up at Iguazu airport, toured with us at the park (& saved some time & lines), & take us back to the airport, all in one long day. I knew my dw also wanted to spend time in BA. This was arranged about 6 months before the trip and we save about 50% of what it would have cost booking through the cruise line.

• 3 weeks later...
What company?

We booked our own flights and hotel, much cheaper than a cruise line excursion. We did not hire a guide or a guide company at the falls.

We are planning on doing the same. Did you see both sides of the falls, Argentina and Brazil? How did you get around? We are planning Buenos Aires to the Falls and on to Rio. Flying domestically appears cheapest, I read a comment that indicated you can cross from Argentina side to Brazil side, we wish to see both if possible.

Thanks

You can get around easily by local public bus or by taxi. Including over the border.

There is a land border crossing that involves stamping out of one country at their booth and going on to be stamped in at the other country's booth. The responsibility for doing this is yours, to hunt up the appropriate staff if necessary.

Yes domestic flights are cheapest. So you would fly into IGR on an Argentine carrier and out to Rio from IGU on a Brazilian carrier (probably GOL or TAM).

Remember you need a visa for Brazil if US or some other passport is what you have.

You need Argentinian pesos to pay the park fee if you go to the Sheraton.

Were you coming off the ship? And, if yes, where did you get the pesos?

Our cruise will be ending in BA and we thought we'd just take a taxi directly to the domestic airport. Is there an ATM in the cruise terminal? We'll need pesos for taxis and park entrance fee.

No it's ok to use but they charge 6$US For each transaction and I think they restrict withdrawals to small amounts too, so it becomes very expensive to use them as a way of getting Argentinian money. We changed US $ and got a better rate of exchange in Feb this year.

Can anyone give me an idea of the costs for taxis?

Port to domestic airport in BA?

airport to Sheraton?

And how much is the park fee?

(I do realize this will probably all change by the time we go but wanted to have an idea.)

Thanks!

Can anyone give me an idea of the costs for taxis?

Port to domestic airport in BA?

airport to Sheraton?

And how much is the park fee?

(I do realize this will probably all change by the time we go but wanted to have an idea.)

Thanks!

In Feb. 2016 - the taxi fee from the Iguazu airport to the Sheraton was 260 ARS, as was the national park fee. I paid $10 US for a taxi from the city center to AEP (domestic airport), and 170 ARS from AEP to my hotel in Retiro.

In Feb. 2016 - the taxi fee from the Iguazu airport to the Sheraton was 260 ARS, as was the national park fee. I paid $10 US for a taxi from the city center to AEP (domestic airport), and 170 ARS from AEP to my hotel in Retiro.

Thank you!