3 day sale

superdave69

Can someone help me understand? I am so new to all this.

We booked May 11th. Carnival Magic, 10/20 sailing from Galveston. 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 13 and 9). Balcony room category 8B (room 6417). The rate was Early Saver for $1590 not including taxes/port charges/insurance. Total final cost was $2709.

When I look at the fare viewer for my cruise it shows $2086. My kids will be 13 and 9 at the time of sailing. I can't recall for sure, but I think the 9 year old had a lower price than if 4 adults were staying in the room???

Do I see correctly that the fare viewer is showing me $2086 for the cruise only, not including port fees and taxes? So my cruise has gone UP $496 when all these people are getting price drops. (2086-1590=496)

I feel like I am not seeing something I should see. :confused: Or maybe I just got a good price when I booked? :) Can someone just confirm that I am looking at it correctly and tell me to simmer down cuz I got a good price!

We booked May 11th. Carnival Magic, 10/20 sailing from Galveston. 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 13 and 9). Balcony room category 8B (room 6417). The rate was Early Saver for $1590 not including taxes/port charges/insurance. Total final cost was $2709.

When I look at the fare viewer for my cruise it shows $2086. My kids will be 13 and 9 at the time of sailing. I can't recall for sure, but I think the 9 year old had a lower price than if 4 adults were staying in the room???

Do I see correctly that the fare viewer is showing me $2086 for the cruise only, not including port fees and taxes? So my cruise has gone UP $496 when all these people are getting price drops. (2086-1590=496)

I feel like I am not seeing something I should see. :confused: Or maybe I just got a good price when I booked? :) Can someone just confirm that I am looking at it correctly and tell me to simmer down cuz I got a good price!

I put it in as you stated, and see the same price you do. Must be a popular, well selling cruise! OR There are so few quad cabins left that tgey are fetching a premium price. For 2 passengers, the same cabin is $1588.

I think you done good!

You are looking at it correctly. The fare viewer only shows the cruise price. Not the taxes and port charges. If you do a mock booking, the total price for everyone before taxes and port charges should match what fare viewer shows. On rare occasion they don't, which is why I always do both a mock booking and fare viewer when checking for price drops.

Not every cruise has them at the same time or as often. Just depends. Sometimes the price goes down while others go up. I caught 3 price drops before the price started rising over a month ago on my sailing. No drops - only increases since.

If your final price was $2709 including the taxes/fees it looks like you paid more than the current price is.

If you booked ES you can price match to the fall/winter sale at a price of $2348.12 saving yourself $361.

ImageUploadedByForums1371230199.100194.jpg.19aa542c71f7b1abc794ce5ecdf628c6.jpg

Good luck

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

If your final price was $2709 including the taxes/fees it looks like you paid more than the current price is.

If you booked ES you can price match to the fall/winter sale at a price of $2348.12 saving yourself $361.

Yup, I'm getting $2348.12 as well - looks like you have a nice price drop!

There's a drop on ours, but if I take the refund I'd actually still be losing money because the last sale gave us a $50 OBC (which brings our total down to $1227 instead of the $1257 being offered now). Gah. I'd love another price drop. LOL

So... A couple of folks see that the price went up, but a couple think I am getting a drop. Is this because the best way is to go all the way through a mock booking?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So... A couple of folks see that the price went up, but a couple think I am getting a drop. Is this because the best way is to go all the way through a mock booking?

Yes. And you better do it quickly. I got a drop this morning and within the hour the rate went back up.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just reread your initial post and you have insurance included as well.

You'll have to deduct the cost of the insurance before you can get your true initial cost.

Bill

You are looking at it correctly. The fare viewer only shows the cruise price. Not the taxes and port charges. If you do a mock booking, the total price for everyone before taxes and port charges should match what fare viewer shows. On rare occasion they don't, which is why I always do both a mock booking and fare viewer when checking for price drops.

I bought through an online travel service. My paperwork says I paid 1590 for the cruise, 898.12 for taxes and port charges, 24.99 processing fee (I guess this was to the website I bought through?), insurance was 198 = 2709.11

I have a feeling the insurance would have been a lot cheaper elsewhere. Point 1 on the noob scorecard. And the processing fee would not have been charged if I bought direct through Carnival probably. Another point on the dumb noob score. :rolleyes:

What is the deal with the taxes and port charges being 898.12!! When I did the mock booking the taxes and port fees appeared to be 262.12. It does not explicitly say port fees. Is that the difference? If so HOW IN THE WORLD can I compare prices. This is all so confusing! :confused:

Can I call Carnival to speak to a PVP to get some help understanding or am I out of luck for help since I booked with an online place?

I just reread your initial post and you have insurance included as well.

You'll have to deduct the cost of the insurance before you can get your true initial cost.

Bill

Understood. When I take off the insurance and "fee" I paid, now my price drop is only $140. But according to my above questions, I don't get the math.

I would call and talk to carnival and see what they say. I have never booked with a travel agent. Good luck and hope you get some definite answers!!

I got a price reduction of 130.00 today off my Oct cruise!!

I bought through an online travel service. My paperwork says I paid 1590 for the cruise, 898.12 for taxes and port charges, 24.99 processing fee (I guess this was to the website I bought through?), insurance was 198 = 2709.11

I have a feeling the insurance would have been a lot cheaper elsewhere. Point 1 on the noob scorecard. And the processing fee would not have been charged if I bought direct through Carnival probably. Another point on the dumb noob score. :rolleyes:

What is the deal with the taxes and port charges being 898.12!! When I did the mock booking the taxes and port fees appeared to be 262.12. It does not explicitly say port fees. Is that the difference? If so HOW IN THE WORLD can I compare prices. This is all so confusing! :confused:

Can I call Carnival to speak to a PVP to get some help understanding or am I out of luck for help since I booked with an online place?

Understood. When I take off the insurance and "fee" I paid, now my price drop is only $140. But according to my above questions, I don't get the math.

If you book with a travel agent the taxes fees are broken done differently than if you book directly with the cruise line.

The $898.12 is what they call NCF's. NCF stands for non commissionable fare.

The balance of $1590 is the part of your fare that the cruiseline pays commission to the travel agent on.

When you book direct with the cruise line there is no commission being paid so all that is left are the actual taxes and fees.

At the end of the day the price is the same whether you book direct with the cruise line or with a travel agent except for the $25 booking fee.

I would call your travel agent and tell him to put in for the price drop for you.

Since you paid a booking fee I'm hoping the travel agent doesn't charge a fee to get you the lower price since when you get the lower price it actually lowers the travel agents commission.

Let us know how you make out.

P.S. if you book with a travel agent you cannot call Carnival about your booking as they will not help you. You must go through the travel agent.

Bill

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Bill, you have been so helpful!

I will try to call the TA. I tried one time already and they connected me to India. It was difficult for me to understand the person. I will try again tho.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Bill, you have been so helpful!

I will try to call the TA. I tried one time already and they connected me to India. It was difficult for me to understand the person. I will try again tho.

Thank you SO MUCH!

You are very welcome. Hope it works out with no speed bumps for you.:)

Bill

Archived