Sun Hats

I will be going on my first Caribbean cruise in December. I am looking for a cute hat to help keep the sun off. Something like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Womens-Wide-Brim-Summer-Beach-Sun-Hat-Straw-floppy-Elegant-Bohemia-cap-/191669164667?var=&hash=item2ca05f5a7b:m:mXwnzXw-j1CcMcMfNeL_meg

or

http://www.amazon.com/Wowlife-Retro-Roll-up-Crocheted-Bohemia/dp/B00JE76ARC/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1458364971&sr=8-38&keywords=floppy+sun+hat

My question, we will be leaving out of FLL and staying at Hyatt Place 17th Convention Center. Is there any place close by that I could pick up a cute hat like one of these? or do they sell something like this (cheap) on Royal Princess? I normally just throw on a ball cap and don't have anything this cute or floppy for sun protection. It would be nice to try on said hat, but if you all tell me not available for cheap, then I would take the chance and spend the couple of bucks.

Thanks for your ideas! ;)

Target, Ross, Marshall's etc has hats like those. For something sturdier look at REI.

Cheapest be seen onboard was in the $10 range.

Edited by SadieN

My favorite sun hat is a Walleroo., it's an SPF50 hat. Not inexpensive at $65, but keeps me out of tge dermatologist office. Looks like a straw cowboy hat with a turquoise trim. You can buy them on line. The Bohemia hats are cute, but don't offer the extra sun protection. Here's a picture of my Walleroo ImageUploadedByForums1458399579.329308.jpg.81ea86a7feeb803b5ce4d75b184e9eab.jpg

Edited by awhfy

I think your hotel is close to Harbour Shops. There are a few little boutiquey clothing stores there, and there is also a Publix (big Florida based grocery chain). The Publix may have something like that. Otherwise, I think there's a Marshall's about a block down the road and they'll likely have inexpensive sun hats. Of course you never know what Marshalls will have in stock ...

Edit to add: I believe there's a TJ Maxx close to the Publix. Can't remember if it's large or small, but that is definitely another good option.

Edited by JanineM

Good morning,:) there is also a ROSS on 17th Street...I have

been there;)....it is just down the street from The Renaissance....so

if you are at Hyatt Place? The one on Cordova and 17th? You could walk

to the Ross as well. Lots of shops and restaurants along 17th.

Edited by Lois R

Thank you to all that replied. It is much appreciated. Yes, I am staying at Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center. I think address is 10th st? Not clear on why they call it 17th. I will look at places suggested, as well as stores locally.

Hi,:) 10th is the cross street....17th is the "main drag".......you can walk

up to 17th:)

I have several hats of that ilk, and I think most of them came from Belk.

Why are you waiting to buy 'til just before you board? I'd be nervous about not being able to find something I like.

I probably won't. At the least I will bring one of my ball caps with me. I did see something similar to what I wanted at one of the box store, but my DH was with me and we weren't shopping for that kind of stuff, so I will look next time.

and

Lois R, Thanks for the info about the streets. Doesn't make much sense unless you have either been there or have a map in front of (me).

But I don't think there are any Daiso stores outside of California, Washington (your home state), and Texas. I think they sell straw hats for $2 each. But then you'd have to pack the hat instead of buying it before boarding the ship.

Edited by midlevel_curator

I am REALLY attached to my two sunhats. They are white and large brimmed.

What I have learned over the several years I've been wearing these hats in the Caribbean and elsewhere, is you need a chin strap. It's always breezy, if not downright windy.

I would suggest you take a length of narrow lingerie elastic in white or beige, plus two small safety pins. The ends of the elastic can be attached to the inside fabric edging. I sewed mine in. Make it loose under your chin, and tuck it up in the hat if it's not windy.

I also like to add decorations to my hats. I got one in a Dollar/discount store in New Zealand for the equivalent of $3US. It's a great hat with a small compact white satin bow in the back. I add artificial flower hair clips to the bow to match whatever I'm wearing for the day. Last trip I got 4 handmade bracelets in Mexico, and sewed two small white buttons to my white sun hat. I can now switch out my colored headband decorations along with the flower in the back.

I've been picking up these beautiful braided or beaded bracelets and necklaces that so many local handicraft markets sell, and put them on my visor headbands, too. I glue these to my visors I also wear here at home and on cruises. I have many colors of visors, and many have these handmade bracelets glued to the headband portion.

The yellow visor in the picture below is my latest. I have blonde hair, and I absolutely love the shell necklace I bought in Lahaina. I pick the visors up wherever I go, and then look for the decorations later. It's one of our shopping things we do when we travel.

299224384_YellowHawaiishellvisor.jpg.e2d9d30605210b3e9d3b07fe03d02b02.jpg

625879329_BlackCozumelvisor.jpg.40ec2ee427564674b44450a4830631a4.jpg

1965225510_BrownHawaiivisor.jpg.361f2d78f867f94254cc37872a32f455.jpg

395463219_Whitesunhat.jpg.75ccbb8f1c7d7c86f00225d63e88ccf1.jpg

Wow!! Very cute hats and visors. I'm a hat gal myself and always cruise with 2-3. I gave up trying to find a truest crushable one; they always ended up with wrinkles even my hubby's Tilley. I now just pack our hats (3-4) stacked together, turned upside down, fill around the brims with soft stuff like underwear, pajamas, socks, etc. My bras, folded in half, just fit inside the crown part. Who knew my bra size was the same size as my head[emoji3][emoji3]. My hats travel beautifully and do not have the wrinkles or creases.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow!! Very cute hats and visors. I'm a hat gal myself and always cruise with 2-3. I gave up trying to find a truest crushable one; they always ended up with wrinkles even my hubby's Tilley. I now just pack our hats (3-4) stacked together, turned upside down, fill around the brims with soft stuff like underwear, pajamas, socks, etc. My bras, folded in half, just fit inside the crown part. Who knew my bra size was the same size as my head[emoji3][emoji3]. My hats travel beautifully and do not have the wrinkles or creases.

Margee

Thank you!

I agree. If I pack my white hat, it also goes in upside down filled with undies or socks. I also take a small empty spray bottle that I fill with water when I unpack. Spritzing my hat and setting it on a flat surface gets all the bends out of it, if there are any.

I also will drape it over the handle of my suitcase when traveling (another reason for the elastic strap), and it fits right up against my purse in the overhead, kind of curving around the body of the purse or bag.

Visors are amazingly packable.

Edited by pcur

I agree sun hats need a chin strap. My hats have a cord in the internal band to make them adjustable fit. The ends are long enough to tie under my chin or just tuck inside.

Margee

It's actually hard to find hats with the elastic, so I usually make my own. I noticed in Mexico last month that all the sun hats had elastic chin straps.

• 4 weeks later...

I would definitely buy the hat before you go to avoid starting off the trip looking for the perfect hat. SolEscapes have a great selection of sun hats that are both stylish and travel friendly.

We will be going to Turkey, Greece, Italy and Spain in June on the Vista. I know it will be hot. I know that I need to bring a scarf for some of the churches etc. Are there lightweight hats that can smash down and still look good for Europe?

Thanks!

Hubby loves Tilleys....I will do a Wal-mart visor...cheap, washable and I don't give a fig! Something to keep the sun out of my eyes is all I want!

The only problem with a visor is that is does nothing to protect your scalp from the rays of the sun that will give you cancer… You could ways add an SPF'd BUFF under the visor or buy and apply some of the new scalp sunscreens on the market… I'm only bringing this up because a dear friend of mine just had a cancerous bump removed from the top of her head.

Please wear a good hat with SPF protection! I'm one of the bad examples who did not, and I just had a skin cancer removed from my scalp. It was ugly and painful. I just got the staples and sutures removed two days ago.

I found a good hat at REI. No, it's not the most attractive accessory, but it will get the job done.

https://www.rei.com/product/828462/outdoor-research-oasis-sombrero-hat-womens

• 3 weeks later...

Found this bad boy at a boutique for $15! It's a crushable paper-poly blend with 7" brim.

I've also seen floppy beach hats at Walmart, Target has some cute ones (if you still shop there) and other stores like Bealls, etc

1155664930_beachhat.jpg.fc952c07c280b9bdbb70f9b9248fb5b9.jpg

Edited by RogersRanch