Cost: Keukenhof Gardens Tour from Rotterdam

Cruis-Ann

Taking a TA next May on the Crown. Does anyone know how much the ship's tour to Keukenhof Gardens from Rotterdam is?? Sounds like a nice tour - though we may be a bit late in the spring to see the best floral displays. Guess I have to hope that they have a cold spring in the Netherlands so we get to see some tulips in bloom. The garden is only open to about 2 months each year and our tour would be on May 19th - last day the gardens are open is the 20th. If anyone has gone that late could you tell me if was worth going?

Ann

Keukenhof was beautiful when we visited during a TA last April/May.

I can't help with the cost of the ship's tour, we did it on our own. Took a taxi to the train station and a train to a stop where you catch a bus that runs exclusively between that station and the garden.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but it allows you stay as long as like and return when you're ready and is much cheaper than the ships tour.

By the way, we didn't know any of this until we got to the Rotterdam train station and started asking questions.

You can even save the taxi costs if you walk from the ship to the station...it's about a 20-30 walk if memory serves.

However you do it, it should be a great day.

The garden is only open to about 2 months each year and our tour would be on May 19th - last day the gardens are open is the 20th. If anyone has gone that late could you tell me if was worth going?

We went about a week before they closed last year and enjoyed it very much. Yes, some of their fabulous displays were no longer there, but there was still much to see and enjoy. Some photos below.

947204507_h100_9368KeukenhofTulipFestival.jpg.ac61662ea8e8dca0fd4ebc11c7b02054.jpg

241720972_k100_9424KeukenhofTulipFestival.jpg.0775eab6ea67f3a14039c737ea98e37f.jpg

934042659_lP1020831KeukenhofTulipFestival.jpg.d50287ca98b0dcc5b682e1f83e9fa200.jpg

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the gardens so close to the end of the season. It sure sounds like it will be worth seeing even if the peak time is over. Who knows if I'll ever get back there again. The pictures looked beautiful!!

I had read somewhere about taking the train. They said to walk to the subway, take the subway to the train station, take the train and then the bus. Sounded very complicated!! Since you said it sounds more complicated than it is, I think I'll try to convince our travel mates to give it a try. They are new to taking private tours or do it yourself excursions - tend to prefer ship tours. I think taking a taxi instead of using the subway may be an easier sell. Do you remember about how much it cost for the train, bus and taxi??

Glad to hear so many of you enjoyed your day at the gardens.

Thanks Ann

We visited the gardens last May and the Netherlands had a cold spring so Kuekenhof was in full bloom.:)

Someone from our roll call planned a private tour with a visit to the gardens and a visit to Delft. We walked completely through the gardens and then went to a small, charming Delft factory in a lovely neighborhood on the canal Then we visited Delft, had lunch on the square and walked around Delft for a bit before returning to the ship.

I wish I could remember the name of the tour company. They picked us up at the pier and it was very reasonable.

We have been there three times. Our daughter lived in Amsterdan for 3 1/2 years. It is worth the trip. We normally went right after they opened for the season. The first year the flowers were in full bloom. The last time we went they had a cold winter and very few flowers had bloomed.

Go over to the Ports of Call board and someone there may be able to give you the name of a tour company. I wish I could remember!!

Aside from a wonderful day, we didn't have to worry about any planning or travel issues. They picked us up at the pier and brought us back. It was a full day and I think about 50 or so Euro - plus lunch on our own. The guide took us to a lovely place on the Delft Square. We had "pancakes" - YUM!!

I went to Keukenhof Garden's website and the price quoted this year was 14.50 Euros pp. Not sure how much it will be next year. I hope this helps.

Forgot in my previous post that this was only to get into the gardens. This does not include transportation to/from there.

Thanks all. I will also visit the port of call forums to try to find any private tour info. I like to compare private tour and Princess prices. Usually the private tour is cheaper and you see more but I only feel comfortable booking privately if CCers recommend a particular one.

Ann

Archived