Clean, safe, quiet, affordable hotels in Rome?

I'm planning to arrive two days before my Rome cruise due to the crazy stories about transportation strikes. Also thinking of spending one night in Rome when my cruise ends.

Getting a little concerned, because hotels seem to go for around USD $200 a night; a bit out of budget. What would USD $100 get me?

What are my options for a hotel convenient to either Rome's attractions or to the port?

Mike

I don't know what your dates are, but a $100 budget per night is not a lot to work with for Rome hotels.

Having said that, I did a search on Venere.com, where you can search by cost, and here is a list of hotels that popped up that should be close to your budget. For a more realistic estimate, put in your exact dates and search again.

http://www.venere.com/italy/rome/#o=default&r=0&m=0&f=C000101000000000&sb=1

I didn't review the whole list (there are quite a few), but I have heard good things about several names I saw, including Hotel Romae, Hotel des Artistes, and Hotel Argentina. I'd strive to find something as centrally located as possible. I'd personally rather stay in a more run-down hotel in the heart of things than in a nicer one that's inconveniently located, but you may not feel the same.

Thanks CruiseMom.

> I'd personally rather stay in a more run-down hotel in the heart of things

> than in a nicer one that's inconveniently located, but you may not feel the

> same.

Good point. Run-downish is fine as long as a place is clean. I'll get my luxury on the cruise.

Trying to avoid the budget extreme, on the other hand, of staying in a youth hostel (no privacy). Just about anything is better than a hostel.

I've heard good reports from budget travelers on Hotel Panda, very near the Spanish Steps, which is a great central location. I understand coming in early to enjoy Rome, but don't get the connection with strikes--doesn't really change anything to arrive early from that standpoint, does it????

I've heard good reports from budget travelers on Hotel Panda, very near the Spanish Steps, which is a great central location. I understand coming in early to enjoy Rome, but don't get the connection with strikes--doesn't really change anything to arrive early from that standpoint, does it????

Thanks again Cathy. Don't know what I was thinking about the early arrival and strikes--not like I could walk to where I need to be! I'd posted a long time ago about strikes, and that was one CCer's suggestion--arrive a few days early.

We are doing something similar for our next cruise - two nights in Rome before we set sail. I'm happy to stay in the Termini area and would love to stay at Hotel Lirico which looks lovely - it's about $130 at the mo - a little high for our budget. Otherwise I would get a short list of two star Termini hotels and then review on tripadvisor and or venere. The other option I am looking at is B&Bs eg: Domus Victoria, which are cheaper and get some great reviews. If I have my spelling correct, Domus Gioly gets fantastic reviews. Would love to hear what you go for :-)

We are doing something similar for our next cruise - two nights in Rome before we set sail. I'm happy to stay in the Termini area and would love to stay at Hotel Lirico which looks lovely - it's about $130 at the mo - a little high for our budget. Otherwise I would get a short list of two star Termini hotels and then review on tripadvisor and or venere. The other option I am looking at is B&Bs eg: Domus Victoria, which are cheaper and get some great reviews. If I have my spelling correct, Domus Gioly gets fantastic reviews. Would love to hear what you go for :-)

Should add that the reason for looking at Termini is that I will be catching a train from Termini to Civitavecchia - not sure if you are doing the same. If so and you don't like Termini, I know the train also stops at the Travsetere station.

I can not speak from experience, but we are going to spend a couple of days in Rome pre-cruise this summer also so I have been doing some research. What I found was that there are many reasonable hotels are in the Termini area which is supposed to be convenient, not only because of its proximity to the train to/from the port, but also because it is a transportation hub where the train, metro and buses meet. Reportedly, the area is a little seedy (what area near a big station isn't?) but it is not unsafe.

After researching many hotels on tripadvisor.com and/or eurocheap.com, I just reserved a room in a small bed and breakfast for 70 Euros a night. It is very well rated and has the basic amenities I am looking for: air conditioning, private bath, a room with twin beds and friendly owners. Hopefully I will be happy with my choice.

Good luck.

What would USD $100 get me?

It will get you a lovely, large room in a safe, clean, convent!! I just stayed in some in Rome, Florence, and Venice last month and it was a great experience. The one in Rome was a block from the Spanish Steps and cost 74 euros/night! Modern bathroom and large but simple bedroom with twins beds. There is a 10:30pm curfew, so if you're a late night partier then it may not be a good option. There is also a very simple breakfast included (I think it was popovers, juice, and coffee). I booked through a booking agency (for a fee) because it was easier than faxing to nuns who know very little English. There are tons of these convents all over Rome. The agency is www monasterystays dot com. Good luck and eat some gelato everyday!! ;)

Dale, What is the name of this bed & breakfast for 70€ per night? Is it for just one person?

Thanks for the info in advance,

Joy

Joy:

The rate is for both of us. It is Bed and Breakfast Giovy. Here is the URL to the Tripadvisor review.

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d568351-Reviews-Bed_and_Breakfast_Giovy-Rome_Lazio.html

It does not have a website, but the review from May 3, 2009 has an email address.

The last 3 times we have been to Rome we have stayed in B&Bs and have been very happy with them. We are going again in Oct and have used www.cross-pollinate.com which was recommended by Rick Steves - they have all price ranges and locations and we have chosen Apartment Santa Rosa which is 115 euros per night for 2 people. It's about a block from Largo Argentina. We are staying at a new B&B this year because the previous 2 we have stayed at are both booked for October.

We just returned from our stay in Rome last night! We stayed at the most fabulous hidden gem....the Artorius Hotel. It is run by a family, large bedrooms & bathrooms, clean, beautiful and it included a lovely breakfast every morning in their garden! They served best cappucinos!! The hotel was within walking distance of most of the sights. Very close to the Colosseum, where we took the HOHO bus.

I reserved our rooms there on Venere.com. They were very resonable!

We have stayed at Fraterna Domus a few times. It is run by a religious order. It is just a block off Piazza Navona. Great spot. Very clean. Google them and write Sister Molina (sp). It is spotless, well run, and will you about 84E for a double which includes a continental b'fast-coffee and a packaged pastry. They also have triples and quads. Book early, they fill up quickly.

We just returned from our stay in Rome last night! We stayed at the most fabulous hidden gem....the Artorius Hotel. It is run by a family' date=' large bedrooms & bathrooms, clean, beautiful and it included a lovely breakfast every morning in their garden! They served best cappucinos!! The hotel was within walking distance of most of the sights. Very close to the Colosseum, where we took the HOHO bus.

I reserved our rooms there on Venere.com. They were very resonable![/quote']

Not exactly a "hidden gem", they have been one of the highest rated hotels on Tripadvisor for a while. I had reservations there last November but ended up staying elsewhere as the location was nice but a little less convenient to the Colosseo metro than the hotel I stayed at.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on availability, location, etc, and some recommendations in other threads, I've tentatively chosen (and reserved) a room at the Hotel Italia (also seen it called the Hotel Italia Roma) on Via Venezia 18. This looks to be about a 10 minute walk to Termini and a 15 minute walk to other major attractions.

It's said to be clean and quiet, although I didn't find it inexpensive at 130 euros per night for a Two Star place (double bed)--about USD $183 per night at current exchange rates. This is for late September 2009 for a Fri and Sat night. Has free internet and staff are said to speak english and be friendly / helpful.

Evidently, the hotel is also on "scenic" Bus Route 64--if memory serves, this hits many of the major attractions and, I think, is what Rick Steves recommends in lieu of paying for a private bus tour (I'll have to verify that).

What are others paying for "high season" in September? I never expected to pay this much, but many other places that have been recommended are already full (Hotel Golden, etc). Is this a better deal than it first appears?

I booked through Venere as suggested, but not sure why-- the same room was available for about the same price at travel sites I'm more familiar with. But Venere does have good alternative reviews (best combined with TripAdvisor I think).

Looks like I can cancel up to 10 days before my stay without penalty, so I may continue to look for a better deal.

Here are some links to save future readers some trouble:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d208768-Reviews-Hotel_Italia-Rome_Lazio.html

A good Street View link--love Google's Street View. Note that you can rotate in all directions (360 degrees) as well as up and down!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=via+venezia+18,+rome&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=31.753679,79.101563&ie=UTF8&ll=41.900488,12.492979&spn=0.007315,0.019312&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=41.899814,12.492984&panoid=tvyPPjPG9vIdrmA99zMdbA&cbp=12,173.37,,0,-10.15

Based on availability, location, etc, and some recommendations in other threads, I've tentatively chosen (and reserved) a room at the Hotel Italia (also seen it called the Hotel Italia Roma) on Via Venezia 18. This looks to be about a 10 minute walk to Termini and a 15 minute walk to other major attractions.

It's said to be clean and quiet, although I didn't find it inexpensive at 130 euros per night for a Two Star place (double bed)--about USD $183 per night at current exchange rates. This is for late September 2009 for a Fri and Sat night. Has free internet and staff are said to speak english and be friendly / helpful.

Evidently, the hotel is also on "scenic" Bus Route 64--if memory serves, this hits many of the major attractions and, I think, is what Rick Steves recommends in lieu of paying for a private bus tour (I'll have to verify that).

What are others paying for "high season" in September? I never expected to pay this much, but many other places that have been recommended are already full (Hotel Golden, etc). Is this a better deal than it first appears?

I booked through Venere as suggested, but not sure why-- the same room was available for about the same price at travel sites I'm more familiar with.

Looks like I can cancel up to 10 days before my stay without penalty, so I may continue to look for a better deal.

Here are some links to save future readers some trouble:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d208768-Reviews-Hotel_Italia-Rome_Lazio.html

A good Street View link--love Google's Street View. Note that you can rotate in all directions (360 degrees) as well as up and down!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=via+venezia+18,+rome&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=31.753679,79.101563&ie=UTF8&ll=41.900488,12.492979&spn=0.007315,0.019312&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=41.899814,12.492984&panoid=tvyPPjPG9vIdrmA99zMdbA&cbp=12,173.37,,0,-10.15

http://www.venere.com/hotels/rome/hotel-italia/

It got a Venere guest rating of 8.3 out of 713 reviews.

Thanks again for the suggestions. That's the best I could do with a full morning of research given what's left for availability this September, and my per-night cap of USD $200/night. That figure doubled from $100 to $200 once I saw the reality of what I was facing.

On the bright side, my vigilance with RCI price checking paid off. I just got a price drop of USD ~$415 on my cabin, so that paid for my Rome hotel stay. Pays to check and *keep* checking. :-)

Mike

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I started a new thread about the above topic after learning it seems cheaper and better to rent an apartment for a new nights than to rent a hotel.

The new Rome apartment thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19951590#post19951590

The Paris threads, for anyone interested, are here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004827

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997003

Hope this is helpful to someone out there, either now or in the future.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up at Fraterna Domas convent. We will also be staying with them 3 nights in Rome in August. The reviews looked great and the place is clean. We have two rooms at 84 euros a night. Can't wait!

Archived