Will Oceania help with .....

KatieBelle

I have often wanted to purchase a large piece of pottery or painting but always balk because I don't know how to get it home. Is there someone on board who would help with packing/shipping a larger purchase? Saw a beautiful painting in Saint Tropez a year ago (already framed) and long for it to this day. How do you all handle large items that can't be packed in personal luggage?

Will the shop not help with packaging it up ?

Most reputable places will ship free or small fee & guaranteed their product from any damages incurred

I am sure the Concierge will be able to help or suggest something.

On a river cruise I wanted to get a glass bowl & they would ship it to North America for you

Lyn

Will it require crate ? Who will do the customs work, How are you going to store it in your cabin? Carry it off, Put it on a airplane $$$$$

Have the merchant ship...they are set up for it If in Europe you will have to pay VAT tax if you carry it out and later file..for a refund... if they give one.

Where as buying for export where the merchant /dealer charges a lesser price, and has all the connections to ship with UPS/ Fed EX to your door and they do the customs brokerages'...

My motto.... take only pictures, leave only good will, kill nothing but time..

The Concierge on past cruises has been helpful in trying to find a box and packing material for a purchase I wanted to carry home. He once found a tube to roll up a poster I had bought.

However, I think that is about the extent of the help you will get. They have no connections with FedEx, etc. and no way to get things ashore.

As others have said, have the store ship it or don't buy it. Also remember where you are and evaluate how reliable storekeepers are. I certainly would insist by paying by credit card so you have recourse.

(Take a picture of what you are shipping or mark it somehow to be sure you are getting what you looked at.)