Silver Shadow food last week

hlsess

Our group of 12 had a wonderful first time in Alaska on the Shadow other than the first day of seasickness- (3/4 of boat was sick according to our butler) and the food just was so-so- My mother said it was a top end ship so we had great expectations of the food. the only thing that we could figure out was that they couldn't get the better food in Alaska- a lot of repeats every night!!

Service was OUTSTANDING!

Yes, but fifteen trolleys a night should keep passengers nicely fed ...... :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377809/Silversea-Shadow-Luxury-cruise-fails-health-inspection-CDC-anonymous-staff-send-photos-gross-conditions--including-unrefrigerated-blue-cheese-raw-meat-stored-crew-cabins.html

Some of the public comments below were thought provoking.

"They usually score in the 90's because the inspectors don't know to look in staff cabins. The only reason they got caught this time is because an employee outed them. How stupid do they think people are?"

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

That would work on a lot of the guests. Can't count the amount of times a guest has no idea of what their eating. They are so impressed with the name of the dish and it makes them feel special. The way they describe the dishes is paranym. It makes them just eat it and don't ask any questions, in fear of sounding stupid...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377809/Silversea-Shadow-Luxury-cruise-fails-health-inspection-CDC-anonymous-staff-send-photos-gross-conditions--including-unrefrigerated-blue-cheese-raw-meat-stored-crew-cabins.html

Some of the public comments below were thought provoking.

"They usually score in the 90's because the inspectors don't know to look in staff cabins. The only reason they got caught this time is because an employee outed them. How stupid do they think people are?"

this was from 7/2013........... surely that isn't still happening!!

this was from 7/2013........... surely that isn't still happening!!

I'm horrified. Although 3 years ago this would still have made me think twice if I had known about this before deciding to try SS. What worries me is that there doesn't seem to have been any explanation (that I have seen) from SS - does anyone recall? So - you cannot help wondering.

I'm horrified. Although 3 years ago this would still have made me think twice if I had known about this before deciding to try SS. What worries me is that there doesn't seem to have been any explanation (that I have seen) from SS - does anyone recall? So - you cannot help wondering.

Monaco July 25, 2013

Statement from Silversea Cruises re recent USPHS report on Silver Shadow

The inspection by the USPHS on the Silver Shadow on June 17, documenting an unusually low score, has given the Company great cause for concern.

At Silversea Cruises we pride ourselves on providing the best quality services to our guests. Since the preliminary report was given to us, a full investigation has been carried out into the circumstances which led to this unsatisfactory result and a number of steps have been taken to ensure that the standards of food hygiene, in particular, are of the highest order. The other issues contained in the report have been rigorously dealt with as well. Our investigation has included the involvement of an external sanitation consultant travelling on board the ship and our own managers working through every aspect of the USPHS report to ensure full compliance. Following the June 17 inspection additional training was provided for all food handlers and supervisors, butlers, cooks, waiters and bar staff to reinforce company procedures. Implicit in this training was that no food or food equipment is, at any time, permitted in cabins or non-designated areas. Procedures for reporting and replacement of equipment identified in the inspection report were also included in the training programme.

Operational management has also introduced an anonymous call system where any member of staff can report failings of procedures to senior managers without fear of reprisals.

There will be a further inspection by the USPHS before the Silver Shadow leaves Alaskan waters at the end of August, which we welcome as we believe and trust the results of any follow up inspection will demonstrate Silversea's commitment to maintain the best standards in sanitation and hygiene on board its fleet.

For reasons of full transparency we have laid out below our investigation's findings in relation to the main area of concern in the USPHS report: trolleys and food being hidden from inspectors in cabins.

The unannounced inspection on June 17 occurred at the end of the breakfast period where pots, pans and utensils were on working stations and items to return to the galleys were on trolleys as were stores from the fridges ready for use. It is clear that when the galley staff heard that inspectors were on board, instead of continuing their work in the understanding that they were in the middle of a meal service, they tried to quickly remove all trolleys and any items not in the fridges and place them in cabins out of the way. It goes without saying that such practices are against company policy and should not have happened. We would also like to make clear that following the inspection of Silver Shadow, all food found in the cabins was destroyed and under no circumstances was improperly stored food served to any guests.

Enzo Visone

Chief Executive Officer

Silversea Cruises

Earlier threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1880469&highlight=inspection

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203548&highlight=inspection

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203548&highlight=inspection][/url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888124&highlight=inspection

Actually 4 years ago. The HD and Chef were suspended and a member of staff fired. There was a complete review of internal procedures and as far as I am aware there has not been a sniff of a repeat. A quick way of checking is to look at the US CDC reports. Most recent for the Shadow is 98/100 in August 2016. Prior to that 100/100.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jools why does this reassure you?

The CDC would not normally inspect crews quarters to establish whether food was being wrongly stored in them. The reason why they were inspected was solely through a whistle-blower.

Then there are the ommissions and inconsistencies in the statement provided by SS. For example they say that food was only temporarily wrongly stored in crews quarters just before the inspection. But the inspection was taking place because of the whistle-blower who was complaining that crew were routinely expected to share their quarters between three crew, some blue cheese and some salami, and was claiming that this was routine.

And if the food had been removed from the kitchens because it was out temporarily then why was this a problem? All food has to be removed from refrigeration in order to prepare it. Unless it wasn't temporary and had reached an unsafe temperature perhaps?.

And why was the HD and chef suspended but a member of staff sacked? It seems to me that staff do not do this type of thing on their own initiaitve but under instruction. Was it the whistle=blower that was fired. If so it contradicts the sentiment in the statement if transparency. Wouldn't you expect the senior people to be fired rather than the juniors?

The statements in my view pose more questions than they answer.

Jeff, reassured does not mean completely happy! However it was 4 years ago and I gather nothing further like this has been reported. So with the possibility of my first SS cruise coming up I guess one can only keep fingers crossed and hope that SS is monitoring more carefully.

I agree with you about the SS statement - looks as though they were caught with their trousers down and had to come up with something fast!