Boston to Canada, Are the seas rougher then the Caribbean?

nans vacation

I'm not sure there is such a thing as "normal".

Of course most New England/Canada cruises are scheduled during Hurricane Season, and there are many months you can cruise the Carribean which are not during Hurrican Season.

I've done 3 Carribean cruises, 1 New England/Canada cruise and all 3 were placid.

We sail Maasdam seven days Boston to Montreal and the return Montreal to Boston every summer. We've had remarkably smooth seas. I think the Caribbean can be more rough than the Canada/New England route based upon our experience.

Of course, we all know one can never say for sure but chances are very good you'll have smooth sailing.

We have cruised Canada/New England at various times -- repositioning from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal in April/May to even as late as the 3rd week of Ocotber -- and we have been fortunate to have smooth seas.

But you never can never tell when a storm will hit -- same as in the Caribbean.

We have gone the last three years on a Canada New England and the seas were pretty smooth but lots of fog. Didnt bother us, we still saw dolphins and had a great time. The captain did lay on the horn periodically though. I would hate to be in a small boat in the fog and come up against a cruise ship. I can guess who would win.;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have done the Canada/NE cruise 3 times from NYC. The first was in Oct 2004. On the way to Halifax we hit 25 ft seas and 70 knot winds. Tropical Storm Nicole! Well needless to say very rough (or lumpy as the Captian said) seas. Waves over the main (7th) deck of the Grand Princess. The second cruise was in 2007 and smooth seas all the way. The third cruise was in mid October 2009 and a somewhat rough waters on the way to Newport and we did not stop. After that waters were fine. The North Atlantic can be a rough place and we had all types of waters/winds! We also have cruised to the Caribbean from NY and Baltimore and the cruise along the coast of the US was mostly 6-15 ft seas. Just never know! To be honest the smoothest cruise I ever took was from Seward, AK to Vancouver Canada! (have done Italy/Greece, Eastern and western Carabbean as well)

• 2 weeks later...

We've done the New England / Canada cruise (Boston to Montreal) in August 2007 and the 10-Day Caribbean cruise in April 2008, both on The Maasdam. The New England cruise was very smooth... and the Caribbean very rough.

• 5 weeks later...

The roughest seas I have had have been on Canada/New England itineraries, and a Circle Hawaii cruise. I would say more often than not, the seas are calm to middling on the Canada/New England routes, but when they are rough, they are ROUGH.

I would prepare for the possibility of rough seas, accompanied by cold, damp strong winds, particularly if you are looking at taking a cruise at the beginning or end of the season (May/October).

• 2 weeks later...

I've done 4 Carribbean Cruises all smooth, 3 Alaska all inside passage and smooth and 2 New England/Canada. Montreal to Boston on the Maasdam and sailed thru the tail of a Hurricane with seas 8-14 feet. A bit rough for 4 hours at night in our Suite S2 just behind the Bridge. The clothes shop on the ship was a mess of broken glass the next morning. There were lots of places that had been cleaned up. Your milage will vary and the oceans can change, but I will continue to cruise with Europe coming up in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

We just sailed on the Glory on 7/26/12 to Halifax and Saint John NB...it was super smooth sailing the entire time! We had calm, sunny weather and honestly it was a smoother sailing than some of the Caribbean cruises I have been on and as calm as our Alaskan cruise. Most of the time, we forgot we were on a ship!

Lynne

Archived