Fain confirms talks on RCI new build

Although the Allure and Oasis are very cool ships (and VERY large) I would like to see RCI maybe focus on something that is a little smaller but maybe more upscale. Not that I think their current ships are lacking but maybe something with a few more luxury ammenities as opposed to activities that might target more experienced cruisers.

People with Royal Caribbean have been talking for a short while about a new class called the "Sunshine" class, which will be larger than the Radiance class and smaller than the Voyager class.

Sounds like a wonderful size to me.........if it is true!!

:)

Rick

Thanks for sharing, I've been around here long enough (short time compared to some of you) to remember hearing rumors of the Freedom class and what it may offer, then going through it with the Oasis class. Made for enjoyable reading.

Does anyone else find the wording strange "RCI-Brand Newbuild" :confused:

Could this mean a rebrand of another ship..perhaps a Celebrity one?

Fain stated the the new build would be for RCI.

From the article.

He gave no details other than to confirm the order would be for the Royal Caribbean International brand,.

Fain stated the the new build would be for RCI.

From the article.

He gave no details other than to confirm the order would be for the Royal Caribbean International brand,.

Thanks Gordon..couldn't remember my login for that site so didnt read all the details :o

I remember when I first heard Project Sunshine mentioned last year it seemed to me to sound like it may involve Celebrity..."Here comes the Sun", is the Celebrity song I believe.

Although of course this could be nothing to do with Project Sunshine.

People with Royal Caribbean have been talking for a short while about a new class called the "Sunshine" class, which will be larger than the Radiance class and smaller than the Voyager class.

Rick

Sounds perfect I hope this is true - enought of the giants for now :)

I agree that Majesty and Monarch should be replaced soon. These are big money makers, and they would do well to add passengers to these shorter trips.

How many people were taking these short, inexpensive cruise to bolster their status in the Crown and Anchor Society? It will be interesting to see if bookings fall off a little now that C&A has announced their new point system.

They probably figure that pricing wise it may be a good opportunity right now....also I can't see Majesty and Monarch being around lots longer.

We would be pleased to see a new class of RCI ships be built. We might like to take a cruise to Bermuda from Florida on some new RCI ship. Really sounds good. We like to sail on new ships especially if they put in the new technology. I did love the computer TV's on the Solstice, being able to pause a movie while going to dinner or up on deck then coming back and resuming it. I was surprised to see that the Allure did not have this technology. I also loved the speaker port for my Ipod touch on the Allure.

Maybe the Critter's can do a cruise on this new smaller ship, Capt Liz... wouldn't that be fun, we would nearly fill a smaller ship. LOL.

Take care...

Irene & Miles

How many people were taking these short, inexpensive cruise to bolster their status in the Crown and Anchor Society? It will be interesting to see if bookings fall off a little now that C&A has announced their new point system.

Disney just put their brand new ship into Port Canaveral to do the same 3/4 day runs. I think if these were not money making cruises, the Disney Dream would be doing alternating 7 day Eastern/Western Caribbean cruises.

Disney just put their brand new ship into Port Canaveral to do the same 3/4 day runs. I think if these were not money making cruises, the Disney Dream would be doing alternating 7 day Eastern/Western Caribbean cruises.

Disney is a special case. They sell the short 3/4 day cruises hooked into a stay with the Mouse on land. Your Disney SeaPass card also unlocks your Disney hotel and your luggage is delivered right to the hotel on the bus,

The second new Disney ship, out next year, will be doing the 7 day itineraries out of Florida.

Have you checked Disney's prices? Of course they give more but they are premium priced.

I didn't say they weren't money makers :). RCI usually sails full so I'm sure they're making money on the full ship. I've never sailed Disney. How does their loyalty program compare to RCI's? I know a lot of people took the short cruises on RCI to pad their status. I'm just wondering if the bookings will drop off because some people may not be as prone to taking the short cruises if it doesn't help their status as much as it used to.

I would love to be able to afford Disney all the time...but forget it! Yes it's expensive, but it's a wonderful line!

Oceanview cabin:

Disney: $900pp/4nights

Carnival: $480pp/5nights

no brainer :rolleyes:

Radiance and Celebrity Millennium classes are on same hull.

Celebrity Solstice class could be adopted easily to RCI as the basic layout is the same.

RCCL would be dumb not to do it......and Fain/Goldstein are not dumb.

I have created a sketch using the Solstice Class Hull & adding some Radiance Class features

CelebritySolstice_very_big.jpg.7382251048aae276494bb4a7020e70f8.jpg

I would sat not THAT many per sailing, but there were probably some onboard. With 2000 or so per sailing, I doubt a couple dozen people sailing with intent on changing their C&A will change things much. Since I would think most of those sailed because they like the ship, are local, and used it as a nice, relatively inexpensive getaway that does not take up much time. Certainly that is why WE sailed it. The only trip we added in for C&A purposes was our last one, as we wanted to make sure we would be Diamond with the ruined changes (and obviously worked out well for us). For the most part we sail it for weekend getaways. When you are not retired, and have a child, you can't just jump on cheap offseason long cruises.

At the same time, we probably will expand more onto the CCL Imagination & NCL Sky as they sail out of the same port on the same itineraries. Just for variety now. We will still do the Majesty, and certainly would jump on any replacement ship that comes in if it were to leave next year (as had been discussed as a possibility)

I didn't say they weren't money makers :). RCI usually sails full so I'm sure they're making money on the full ship. I've never sailed Disney. How does their loyalty program compare to RCI's? I know a lot of people took the short cruises on RCI to pad their status. I'm just wondering if the bookings will drop off because some people may not be as prone to taking the short cruises if it doesn't help their status as much as it used to.

I suspect you are correct that many people were taking these cruises to build their status. it was a great way to do it. We are just lowly platinum members who live 20 minutes from Port Canaveral. We've been here 6.5 years so obviously we weren't taking these cruises to up our status.

I think we definitely would cruise more on this itinerary if the ship was nicer. We have loved our weekend cruises except one with bad weather the whole time but we have no expectations of greatness. The ship is merely a floating hotel we get away on for the weekend. It has a pool, a bar, a dining room, and cabins. Sunday we will be on Allure. We have great expectation for the shows, the ship, and the itinerary.

I suspect you are correct that many people were taking these cruises to build their status. it was a great way to do it. We are just lowly platinum members who live 20 minutes from Port Canaveral. We've been here 6.5 years so obviously we weren't taking these cruises to up our status.

I think the allure (no pun intended) of the shorter cruises for building one's C&A status is way, way, way overblown. There seems to be a very healthy demand for the shorter cruises just as a quick getaway for those of us who aren't yet confined to our rocking chairs.

I think we definitely would cruise more on this itinerary if the ship was nicer. We have loved our weekend cruises except one with bad weather the whole time but we have no expectations of greatness. The ship is merely a floating hotel we get away on for the weekend. It has a pool, a bar, a dining room, and cabins. Sunday we will be on Allure. We have great expectation for the shows, the ship, and the itinerary.

I jus don't think it's that many people. Yes, some people may have built up points because of the quicker credit count on these ships. But I think that average person lives within driving distance of the port, and enjoys being able to to go on a quick getaway vacation. They're not suddenly going to stop going because you only get 3 points now. I will say that's just a handful of people per sailing, if not just a handful of people period.

I think perspective on it is skewed because these past two months had special circumstances (Diamonds in December and the rumored, now factual, C&A changes), so more people then normal did so. I think it will mostly look the same as it did a few months ago, a few months from now.

Archived