Cell Phone Service Availaility In Southern Carribean For USA Customers?

florida lover

Can anyone here comment on what kind(s) of cell phone service is cost effective, generally avaiable and compatible with USA carriers in the southern Carribean?

This may not help you at all but you can check with your carrier. Some of them have very reasonable extensions to allow calls from foreign countries for a short period of time for not that much money.

I don't know about the other U.S. carriers but AT&T already allows calls from U.S. territories including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. I made many calls from PR, St. Thomas, and St. Croix with no problem.'

Hope this helped some.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone here comment on what kind(s) of cell phone service is cost effective, generally avaiable and compatible with USA carriers in the southern Carribean?

Thank you!

As the poster above me stated, call your carrier. I have T-Mobile and had no problems using my phone in San Juan and St. Thomas (a little trouble here, another cell tower in the VI was being picked up. Called T-Mobile and everything was straightened out. I had to do a manual search for their tower and it stayed on).

The other ports I used WiFi calling or used my WiFi to send text messages and get on FB to do check-ins.

• 1 year later...

T-Mobile has a great plan called Simple Choice, which includes most of the Caribbean (except Bahamas and Belize) for almost free, that is free text, free data and 20 cents/minute calling on island. Just wait until you get to port to turn your phone on, we just use airplane mode aboard ship to avoid the exhorbitant roaming charges from the cruise line.

• 5 months later...

Not sure where you will be sailing but we were in San Juan last year and since we were with AT&T and PR is a US territory, we were able to call and text with no additional charges. It was just as if we were in the States. Reception was excellent.

• 1 month later...

There is very little reported experience concerning calling from the Southern Caribbean. The best thing that OP can do is check with their carrier. IF there is coverage, it is usually good on the islands, BUT it will be roaming and is usually quite expensive.

Since OP mentioned the Southern Caribbean, I won't comment about San Juan and St. Thomas since those are nto considered part of the Southern Caribbean.