Resources in Western Caribbean for Disabled Cruisers

Splinter

Let's use this thread for copying over resource and review information critical for disabled cruisers in the Western Caribbean from the old message board before it disappears. Please don't post questions here.

I'll start with the following information:

ashleysmm

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-18-04 11:38 PM

Someone posted earlier this year that there is a wheelchair van equipped with a lift in Cozumel. Contact is Armundo at 987-872-0041 or 0236. Email is Aurmumdo@hotmail.com.

Carol[/Quote]

Here is another:

Gramsk

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-30-04 06:18 PM

For those of you traveling to Cozumel that need a taxi with a lift to accomodate scooters or wheelchairs, here is a contact for you,

Taxi394@hotmail.com, or when you get there just ask any driver to contact Taxi Cab # 394. Phone # is 987-872-0041. I believe the driver's name is Juan. We just asked for a lift cab at Cozumel and in 15 minutes he was there, and then we asked another driver to contact him when we were ready to return to the ship. It cost us (4people) Twenty dollars each way to Chankanaab. Also at Chankanaab they did not charge our handicap person an entrance fee. Some of the paths were a little rough going, but my husband who has a very bad back was able to handle the roughness on his electric scooter.

Now for Calica, we were again told there were no lift vans. We asked shour tours, pursers, handicap help, taxi drivers, car rental personal at the pier and everyone said no. So my husband decided to stay on ship. The rest of us went to Xcaret, saw a lady there with an electric cart, she said she asked the shuttle bus driver and he called for a bus with a lift. Most of the areas at Xcaret were very accessible for an electric cart or wheelchair.

Hope this helps someone to enjoy their trip.[/Quote]

Here is another:

montgomeryfamily

Cool Cruiser

posted 03-31-04 02:35 PM

I don't know if this is the one you are looking for, but we found the Catch the Waves snorkel boat trip on the Princesa Maya to be fairly accessible. The boat docks close to the ship and they have a ramp so you can roll onto the boat. It isn't completely accessible because there is an upstairs area you can't get to and the upstairs is where the bar and lunch buffet is (and where most people sit), but we found that they were very nice about bringing us anything we wanted to eat and also lunch from the buffet (free drinks and Mexican lunch buffet is included in the excursion charge). The bathrooms are in the main area where you board the boat and are wheelchair accessible. Also, there is a gift shop in this main area.

The main area where yoou board is the area from where the snorkeling and swimming takes place. There is a platform and they helped us into the water and back out again, although there is a ladder so you have to be able to pull yourself up (although they did help)--but they don't have a lift. The boat doesn't go very far, so it really isn't a boat "tour"--it goes around the other side of the pier area and anchors for the snorkeling and swimming. They were very nice and accommodating. They even brought chairs and a table downstairs for us, although I did ask them to make this arrangement for us when I talked with the company myself.

If you don't snorkel or swim, I don't know whether they would let you buy an observer ticket or not. Although I booked this through RCI, I talked to the company via email and made sure of all of the arrangements. So if you can't snorkel or swim, you might ask the ccompany if a cheaper obverver ticket can be purchased. I found them to be very accommodating and helpful. If you want to contact them, send me an email and I'll give you their email. aleta@ev1.net

I couldn't find any other snorkeling tours, private or through RCI, who had generally accessible facilities. The only other tour I could find that was even willing to try to assist was the Nautilus tour. Howver, you cannot get to the lower level of the boat where the viewing windows are without going down a narrow winding staircase and the bathrooms are not accessible either. So all you can do on this is remain on the upper deck for the trip out to Cheeseburger Reef. However, they did have a dive platform and were willing to provide assistance getting up and down into the water for swimming and snorkeling (although they don't have a lift). We did take the Nautilus tour, but it was a different tour than offered by RCI because when we sailed, RCI didn't offer the snorkeling Nautilus tour. So we made the arrangements through the company directly. Frankly, although these people were nice and the snorkeling is good, this tour wouldn't offer much for anyone who is disabled and can't go downstairs unless the disabled person can snorkel.[/Quote]

For Grand Caymen (please add contact info if you have it, Lisa!):

the photo wizard

Cool Cruiser

posted 01-10-03 10:07 PM

I have a sister totally disabled in a wheelchair.I wanted her to enjoy the cruise and one of the ports of call. In Grand Cayman there is a Limo Service that has a van with a lift, The individual doesn't have to get out of the wheelchair. The Van can hold up to 8 people. The price is per hour.(not per person). You can reserve the van for any amount of time. You can plan your own excursion/outing. The cost is $75.00 per hour. There is a cancellation

fee of of one hour,(less than 24 hours notification of canceling). Let me know if you need additional information.

Lisa[/Quote]

Another on Cozumel:

DEL67

Cool Cruiser

posted 12-16-03 04:30 PM

My husband can transfer to a car or minivan seat so the last time we were in Cozumel, we hired a minivan for a few hours to tour the island.

The downtown shopping area is somewhat accessible so I was able to manuever my husband's manual chair around and into most of the larger shops. Many of the shops on the main street have ramps and I think I remember curb cuts, but the ramps do not meet ADA standards and the sidewalks sometimes were not in good shape.

DEL[/Quote]

Info on Belize:

ashleysmm

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-13-04 10:29 AM

Belize is a tendered port. The tender ride is approx 20-25 mins. My husband who is in a wheelchair rode outside on the deck. The tenders are owned by locals and have 2 decks of seating inside. Once in Belize they have a new dock area with shops. The usual tourist type of merchandise. We booked a private tour with David Cunningham of Cunninghamstours@yahoo.com. We went to Altun Ha the Mayan Ruins. On our way back we stopped at a local craftmans shop and purchased wonderful wood creations (at a fraction of the cost in town). We also toured the city, and at our request David took us to stores where we could purchase local wine and cuban cigars. We had a wonderful time and David was a wealth of information. He knew more about Altun Ha than the ship's shore excurison company personnel. They were asking David questions and then relaying the info to their clients. Contact David and let him know of your limitations and interest and he will customize a tour for you. If you have any questions please email me.

Carol[/Quote]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am planning a cruise on RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas sailing 11/06/06 to Key West, Cozumel and Belize. We are a group of 8 people celebrating my in-laws 50th anniversary. We range in age from 11 to 76 and my 11-year old daughter is multiply-handicapped. She uses either a walker (slowly and for short distances or a wheelchair) but can transfer to a vehicle with assistance. Also my mother-in-law also has trouble walking long distances and doing lots of stairs. I just tried to email Cunninghamstours@yahoo.com and my mail was undeliverable. Anybody have any suggestions, resources, etc on excursions/activities that are accessible in Cozumel and Belize.

Note: I also have a 15-year old son and think he would love the Cave Tubing in Belize and snorkeling so we probably will split up as my brother-in-law definitely wants to do the ruins.

• 4 weeks later...

Just be aware that the handicap van in Cozumel that we took did have a lift for a wheelchair but they didnot have an extended door opening. So if you cannot duck your head you can have soom problems. My husband has a neck fussion and I had to go push his head down so he could clear the door, not before rapping his head on the door frame.

Jamacia had a great handicap tour with Walter from a-z planner.

• 2 months later...

Hi! Back again to tell of the rest of my Western Caribbean cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) April 30 - May 7, 2006

We tendered in Grand Cayman, and this being my first cruise, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get into the ferry boat. But it was a cinch. The ship had a lift that took me right down to where everyone boarded the ferry. The seas were fairly calm, I just had to be lifted over 1 or 2 steps, there was plenty of room on the ferry for the wheelchair.

At the docks we just asked for a van w/ a wheelchair lift and got lucky and snagged a ride on the only one on the island. Max Taxi Tours & Transfers has 1 large airconditioned van with a wheelchair lift. (No raised roof though) Contact Max at maxtaxi@candw.ky or maxwell@candw.ky

His cell #s 345-917-0133, 345-326-5956. We just went to the Royal Palms beachfront patio bar & grill to sip margaritas and overlook to ocean. Then went shopping. If I had planned it better, I would have gone to the Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens.

We docked in Cozumel (while Carnival tendered). The beaches & vegetation are pretty torn up, but they've worked quickly & rebuilt all the shopping centers. Chankanaab wasn't open yet, will reopen in about 50 days. At the docks we asked the supervisor of taxis for a van w/ a lift and got lucky again & got a ride right away. This van had AC, a lift, but again, no raised roof. He gave us a tour of the whole island and it was sad to see how torn up everything is. We stopped at the San Gervasio Ruins. It was fairly accessible, was able to get part way around the ruins. The fun part is seeing the huge iguanas running around.

Sorry, didn't get a phone# or e-mail info to pass on. The driver said just to ask the 'supervisor of taxis' for a van w/ lift and they'd hook you up right away.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this in the most recent Paraplegia News and wanted to pass it along. Have not used them, but it looks pretty good, esp. since Cancun has had nothing to offer in the past like this:

http://www.cancunaccesible.com

Apparently they can provide wheelchair van transport and tours, sign language interpreter services, dialysis, oxygen supplies and CPAP. They also have mobility equipment for rent, including beach chairs.

• 1 month later...

This was just recently posted:

darndean

Xcaret nature park

Hello,

I'm a powerchair using Quad who stumbled across this nature park in Calica. They had a bus with a wheelchair lift that picked us up on the road as we wandered around the shore. There was nothing in the shore excursion guide which mentioned a bus with a lift. Here is a link to the park where you can get more information. I was there in 2000 so you might want to verify that the bus is still available. Great park but the trails are a bit bumpy.

http://www.xcaret.com/services/xcare...sportation.php

I am C 3-4 quad and have been Jamaica 4 times in a power chair. They told me that there were no vans with lifts there, but there is. It is a Toyota van with a lift in the rear and it worked for me.

The drivers name is Solomon Hutchinson and he has picked me up both in MoBay & Ocho Rios and know what beaches and sites are accessible. He's very friendly and knowledgeable as well. His e-mail is, solomonhutchinson@hotmail.com

Tell him Todd sent you.

There was also a licensed HC van inside the gates at the pier in Jamaica where the other licensed taxis were. We had to pay in advance for round trip. He dropped us off for shopping and returned at the agreed time.

• 1 year later...
I saw this in the most recent Paraplegia News and wanted to pass it along. Have not used them, but it looks pretty good, esp. since Cancun has had nothing to offer in the past like this:

http://www.cancunaccesible.com

Apparently they can provide wheelchair van transport and tours, sign language interpreter services, dialysis, oxygen supplies and CPAP. They also have mobility equipment for rent, including beach chairs.

Unfortunately the site is all in Spanish.

• 2 years later...

From our forums:

We found a wheelchair accessible bus in Grand Cayman. It is an older bus, but runs good and has air-conditioning. And, more important, the couple that operates it are very nice. We made a deal with Max and got a very reasonable tour past Seven Mile Beach, to the Turtle Farm and to Hell and back to the tender area. There is a lift on the back of the bus. We had two scooters, so they just moved one set of seats to make room for both scooters. They do not have a website but you can email them at maxtaxitours@yahoo.com. It is an opportunity to see some of Grand Cayman at a reasonable price.

Betty

• 5 years later...

Archived