Bus to Jolly Beach?

loveysbydesign

We did a day pass at Jolly Beach and really enjoyed ourselves, we took a taxi and that took up almost 20-25 min just getting to JBR. I would think if your on any type of 1st come, 1st serve basis or time crunch getting there by bus may not be the way to go. Also you do travel through some diverse areas.

We went to Valley Church beach earlier this year and it's just a few minutes on from Jolly Harbour. I think the bus fare was about $1 / $1.50 and we just paid as we got off. I found the info below on CC before I went then just asked at the info desk in the bus station and they told us what bus we needed. I'm pretty sure it

was a #22 but you should check. If you want a really cheap day, it will be much cheaper at the public beach than the resort, and we'd really recommend VCB which is only a short distance further on. When we asked the bus driver to tell us when we were at the stop for VCB, he said it was a great choice! It took us around 30 minutes to get there once we got going but we did wait a bit for the bus to fill and they don't go till all the seats are taken including the little folding ones up the middle!! We usually take the bus in the Caribbean if we're going to the beach and love it.

From the dock, keep going straight till you get to Market Street and turn right, then it's a short walk and you'll come to a fork in the road where you bear right (there's an enormous sculpture be hind some railings at that fork, you can't miss it). There is also the big local market. Once past the fork you'll come to the bus station on the right.

We went to Valley Church beach earlier this year and it's just a few minutes on from Jolly Harbour. I think the bus fare was about $1 / $1.50 and we just paid as we got off. I found the info below on CC before I went then just asked at the info desk in the bus station and they told us what bus we needed. I'm pretty sure it

was a #22 but you should check. If you want a really cheap day, it will be much cheaper at the public beach than the resort, and we'd really recommend VCB which is only a short distance further on. When we asked the bus driver to tell us when we were at the stop for VCB, he said it was a great choice! It took us around 30 minutes to get there once we got going but we did wait a bit for the bus to fill and they don't go till all the seats are taken including the little folding ones up the middle!! We usually take the bus in the Caribbean if we're going to the beach and love it.

From the dock, keep going straight till you get to Market Street and turn right, then it's a short walk and you'll come to a fork in the road where you bear right (there's an enormous sculpture be hind some railings at that fork, you can't miss it). There is also the big local market. Once past the fork you'll come to the bus station on the right.

Thanks so much for the info.:)

I was under the impressions that a section of Jolly Beach is free and public?

• 1 month later...
Did you take the bus? Trying to plan our trip there next week.

Yes, we did. It was $1.50 pp each way and we tipped the driver. By forewarned when you get off the ship you will be pestered constantly by a bunch of people trying to get you to take a taxi, when you tell them you are going to the bus they will look at you like you have 2 heads!!!

We asked this guy with the giant head .........

DSC04967_zps4bb8960d.jpg

............for help in finding the bus station and he said to walk straight down from the ship about 2 blocks and turn right(can't remember the name of the street) then keep walking til you see this even bigger head ;) and the bus station is to the right of that.

DSC04968_zps17392909.jpg

It's an open air bus station with a bright blue roof, you can see it from the ship.

Also be careful when walking, the sidewalks are very uneven and skinny in places. My 7 y.o. was not paying attention and tripped and fell, just got a scrape thankfully. Bus #22 takes you to Jolly Beach, Valley Church beach, darkwood and a few others. Our driver was Bravo and he was super friendly and helpful!

DSC04972_zpsf98b9f0d.jpg

His friend Shelmore happened to be the manager at the Darkwood Beach restaurant and he took good care of us. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing beach day free of vendors and wave runners then this is the beach for you. It was breathtakingly beautiful!

............for help in finding the bus station and he said to walk straight down from the ship about 2 blocks and turn right(can't remember the name of the street) then keep walking til you see this even bigger head ;) and the bus station is to the right of that.

It should be Market Street, as opposite and beside the bus station there is a big market hall and also the fish market. I took and I will take again in a month there bus 17 to "Nelson's Dockyard".

Loveys and Tartan, good directions to the bus station.

As for coming back, just stand on the other side of the street, and flag one down. Mid afternoon, I have never had to wait more than a few minutes.

At Turners beach, the return bus is coming around a curvy hill, so you do have to watch for it. Just raise your hand, the driver will see you and stop.

Remember to follow local custom and say "good morning" or "good afternoon" when getting on. It will be greatly appreciated by the locals, and they will respond.