Moorea OWB

KruzeKrazy!

Can anyone that has visited both the Moorea Sofitel and the Hilton provide insights to compare the pros/cons of each?

We are currently booked pre-cruise in a Panoramic OWB at the Hilton but read on Trip Advisor comments from some (I know, ignore the few and go by the majority...) about not-so-good service at Hilton Moorea while I don't see any comments other than positive about the service at the Sofitel.

For both we lots of Trip Advisor comments about wi-fi (good and bad) but we're going to get away, not be connected, so we don't care about wi-fi.

I've read the Sofitel has the view back to Tahiti but the lagoon around the Hilton is a bit better. Pricing is comparable.

We are after peace and quiet, relaxation, and a beautiful setting with great scenery.

Any insights would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't been to either one, but i've just booked an OWB at Hilton. I got a great rate on Orbitz with free cancellation. Just yesterday. You might want to check it out and book it at least to hold it while you continue your research.

Edited by Los Angeles Travel Bug

Both have great water and snorkeling. I think the Sofitel has the better beach and more species of fish to see. Better views too. The view from the lookout overlooking the Sofitel is the best view on the island - better than Belvedere and magic mountain in my opinion. Was just there 2 days ago. Spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Sofitel has by far the best beach on the island - you can actually walk for quite a long way. Part of the beach is public. The view from the hotel looks out across the Sea of the Moon towards Tahiti - the changes in light are wonderful.

Many people like the Hilton which was built as a Sheraton and created quite a controversy locally due to the environmental damage it caused. I find the resort cramped and claustrophobic and that's because they have crammed far too many rooms into a small land area. To make matters worse, they destroyed their own beach by building OWBs, so the view from what remains of the beach is of the plumbing arrangements on the OWB pontoons. The snorkelling is OK, though, arguably the best from any of the hotels on Moorea.

However, I'd go for the Sofitel any day - it feels quite spacious and remote.

Edited by Fletcher

I cannot provide any information on the Sofitel. But since two of you are considering an OWB at the Hilton, you might want to read my trip report. It is one of my favorite travel experiences ever.

See, In Moorea Now, Nov 9 - 14

We are planning a return visit to the Hilton Moorea in late November.

We have not stayed at the Hilton but have stayed twice at the Sofitel both in a beach front bungalow and in an OWB. We have visited the Hilton on a day pass a few times so have seen the facilities.

I love the Sofitel beach. The bungalows in the Sofitel are more private and at quite a distance from the beach. So there is a significant separation from the hotel's facilities, the beach and the OWBs.There was a huge variety of fish in the lagoon at the sofitel.

The Sofitel is quite a distance from local restaurants and is a more european style resort so some perceive these as disadvantages. Last week I noticed their beach bar was open but last year when we were there precruise it was closed.

• 4 months later...

We booked the lagoon view, so gourmet package at the Sofitel vs. the Hilton for several reasons:

It is very close to the ferry.

It included breakfast buffet and $60 per day food.

Worked out great, very European feel and buffet was nice.

Food outside of the buffet not great but we were only there 2 days.

Beautiful hotel and really liked the room.

We just got back from 6 nights at the Sofitel after a 10 day Princess cruise. The beach is great there and the snorkeling amazing. The food is excellent and the bungalows are very, very nice. After the cruise, we weren't sure of the merits of Tahiti over Hawaii (distance, expense, etc), but after a week on Moorea, we get it now. The relatively undeveloped infrastructure in Tahiti means there isn't a huge restaurant selection and tons of activities, but if you like great water activities, good food, and a terrific resort, the Sofitel on Moorea is perfect. We also booked "so gourmet" and it was a good choice for us.