Balmoral cabins

jessybell

We had a very enjoyable three weeks on Balmoral in April (Dubai to Southampton). It was our first time on a Fred Olsen cruise and we were very impressed. The only complaint was the noisy cabin. We were in the "new" section and the walls were so thin we could hear the snoring of the man next door. We would like to do the Hong Kong back to UK section next year but are worried that we would not be able to put up with the noisy cabin for 56 nights.

We understand Balmoral is having a refit......will this problem be addressed before 2014? Everyone having cabins in this section were complaining about their noisy neighbours.

Mr and Mrs H Rose

Edited by jessybell

• 2 weeks later...

We also had that problem last year going to the Baltic. It wasn't just snoring or TV we could hear.......... Several times! In the end what with that, heavy breathing/snoring, TV late at night (after midnight) banging drawers and wardrobes we asked if we could move. We were moved but had to wait another 3 days. The problem seemed to be the beds were head to head on the adjoining wall. We are booked on the ship for the Dubai - Hong Kong sector next year and decided to drop down to D deck just out of the centre section There were lots of the "new" section available on C but didn't want that situation again. I hope they can solve this issue! We like the Balmoral and prefer to be centre if possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, We are booked on the Grand Voyage in Jan 2015 and are booked in cabin 9055 on the bridge deck near the middle. Do you know if this in the "new section" as I would hate to spend 119 days next door to noisy neighbours, I think I would feel like jumping ship.

Susan

The new section is a relatively small bit in the middle. If you look at deck 8, you can see it as there are balcony cabins on that section - so just located the lifts for guidance and trace it down to deck 4. Actually, your cabin is right to the front, so well away.

I am wondering if the new section is any worse than the rest as we have had noisy cabins in different locations on ships. I have been central on Balmoral (I think somewhere near the join) and there was a lot of creaking of the boat in bad seas. Very stable ship though in our opinion.

Edited by tring

If you look at a picture of the Balmoral, the new section is between the two sets of lifeboats. We were on her earlier this year and also had a noisy cabin, but that was the air conditioning unit. We were moved to a cabin in the new section on deck 5 and it was absolutely silent, no noises from either neighbours or machinery.

If you walk down the corridor ,you will notice a hump in the floor ,thats the new section,the walls are extremely thin and as you say all can be heard from next door cabin. :eek:

I do notice Olsen have some of these as singles,haven,t got a brochure at the moment otherwise I would tell you were they start.:)

Yes I was moved on the Braemar because our cabin was impossible, just below an aircon room. We were on the starboard side towards the bow, inside cabin. They moved us to the port side further aft and all was fine. So they do have empty cabins :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...