Cruising with Multiple Allergies

NewCollegeCruiser

Hi everyone,

My family and I are planning on taking a cruise, but we don't know which cruise line deals with allergies well. We were looking into the Royal Caribbean, but are open to other lines if they can deal with allergies. I am allergic to wheat, eggs, all tree nuts,peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut, pineapple, oatmeal and shellfish. Breakfast is usually the hardest , in my opinion.... I know lots of places have gluten free breads and such but those usually have eggs. If anyone has any experience with dealing with multiple allergies please let me know what cruise is able to handle them well :D

Thanks!:)

I have cruised Royal, Carnival and NCL. I have found that NCL has far more options for me. I am Celiac with other allergies. Before the cruise, I notify NCL. Right after embarkation, I go to the MDR for lunch and introduce myself to the Maître D. They get the ball rolling with lunch, work with me on that nights dinner selection, etc. that contact can even help with Speciality restaurants and pre-notifying them of my arrival. I have eaten all over the ship and have never felt like I was missing the cruise food experience. A letter from the Food and Beverage Manager is always waiting in my cabin, just in case I need to use it as instructions to the crew on my needs.

On Royal, I was hungry for the entire cruise. They did provide allergy free food but mostly fruits and veggies. Royal did not assign me a crew member to assist with dining and menus. On NCL, they actually made me pasta, pizza, bread, etc.

• 1 month later...

I have numerous food allergies - beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck,egg yolks dairy(including cheese) and worst of all, canola oil. We have cruised extensively, and I find I do best on Holland America and Princess. never been sick on either line and ate well! Just let them know ahead of time. princess would even make no cheese no meat pizzas for me!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

My family and I are planning on taking a cruise, but we don't know which cruise line deals with allergies well. We were looking into the Royal Caribbean, but are open to other lines if they can deal with allergies. I am allergic to wheat, eggs, all tree nuts,peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut, pineapple, oatmeal and shellfish. Breakfast is usually the hardest , in my opinion.... I know lots of places have gluten free breads and such but those usually have eggs. If anyone has any experience with dealing with multiple allergies please let me know what cruise is able to handle them well :D

Thanks!:)

Royal was very good with my multiple food allergies -- I would have the next day's menu choices brought to me at dinner and would pre-order my food for the next day. I understand that my food was separately prepared to avoid cross-contamination.

The only lapse I noticed is that the buffet has a notation on the dish description when a dish contains nuts, and the nut warning was missing when mortadella was placed out with the cold cuts.

I'm allergic to dairy soy(including veg oil) and eggs - Holland America Westerdam did an amazing job. We had our waiter who gave me the menu of the following evenings dinner so they could specially make mine. The room service was ehh but they tried! and the buffets are hard but we did try to eat lunch in the dining room and that was superb. My husband even requested a special chocolate cake (which is typically full of dairy soy and eggs) for our anniversary and they make me AN ENTIRE CAKE. It was so sweet all of the effort, including the staff, that they put into making it a surprise and special (even calling the room to speak to my husband and making up some elaborate fake story when I answered, LOL)

Just be vocal. I brought a lot of my own snacks but they all acted like it was their pleasure to accommodate.

Edited by peskyvermin