Paddle cruiser

Jimsgirl

I am no longer able to cruise Cunard, (due to stroke while on QM2 recently) thinking of a paddle River cruise, Snake River or similar.

Has any one done this? If I did not take tour, is there service on board for passengers staying on "ship".

All comments would be helpful .

Thank you

Lynn

Did they ban you??? Obviously you are still traveling....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No Cunard did not ban me, I was hospitalized ashore in Belgium, bad experience, will not risk that again. so it has to be USA, River cruise sounds alternative. Need some help so have to take my daughter who will be free to do her own thing while I stay on board.

Do not use cane unless forced to do so, nor wheelchair, but do have semi useless left side of body. Mind is still very sharp.

Trying to find cruiser who has taken a USA River cruise

Years ago my parents went on the Mississippi Queen on a cruise up the Tennessee River, and found it pretty accessible. I know that the cruise ships that go on the Columbia also have accessible cabins, but not sure about how access is on/off the ship at their ports. I would contact the cruise line directly for more information.

Don't give up on ocean cruises. There are a lot of USA coastal cruises where you are at mostly American ports (with a token Canadian or Mexican port stop), including Alaska and Hawaii. Take a look at some of those with HAL, Princess, Celebrity, and even Crystal. Why limit yourself to only Cunard??

I am still hoping that someone who has taken a USA River cruise will answer my question re staying on board when docked at riverside town. I will not be able to do the shore tours, Feel it is essential to chose a trip that does not leave USA, my experience in a foreign hospital was so terrible, I will not risk that again, (only USA or UK hospital if I ever need medical attention while "cruising" again.

Have you tried posting on the River Cruises forum? Looks like it is mainly foreigh cruises, but there is also the American Queen Steamboat forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=775

There is also America Cruise Line, sailing coastal cruises, and doing Alaska. but their boats are so small I don't believe they have elevators. EM

When the American Queen was moored here in Pittsburgh on the Ohio River, I went to take a look and talk to a few people. Someone who wants to just stay on the boat can do so, but there won't be anything going on when in port, since much of the cruise is focused on the cities where they are moored. They do have a river folklorian who will narrate the history of the area where you're cruising, but that person leaves the boat to conduct tours. The main problem I saw was that the elevator does not go to all decks----with the Sun Deck, where the pool and gym are located only accessible via stairs. I don't know what you mean by services on board, but if you mean that the restaurants will be open, the Front Porch Cafe was open while the passengers were off on tour. There is also 24 hr room service. But don't expect there to be "entertainment" available during the day as they really don't even have much in the way of daytime entertainment even when the boat is cruising other than enrichment activities.

Edited by kitty9

Another thought might be a fall cruise from one of the Northeast ports to Canada. They sail along the coast and there are major US and Canadian hospitals all along the way. The Canadian emergency health care system is excellent and English speaking.