I am going to have Gastirc By-Pass surgery...

ssatterly

I had the lap band surgery done last March. I am about 100 pounds lighter but had to lose close to 70 lbs before the surgery. There is a huge learning curve about eating again. I always eat way too fast but I am learning!

Would I do it again? yep in a heart beat! The surgery took about 45 mins and I was home the next day. Feel free to ask any questions!

Hope this helps.

I had the lap band surgery done last March. I am about 100 pounds lighter but had to lose close to 70 lbs before the surgery. There is a huge learning curve about eating again. I always eat way too fast but I am learning!

Would I do it again? yep in a heart beat! The surgery took about 45 mins and I was home the next day. Feel free to ask any questions!

Hope this helps.

I have not 100% decided yet wich one the by-pass or the band.... I need to lose over 100lbs so more than likely the by-pass......How has it changed your life?

• 3 weeks later...

I had lapband on March 17th last year.. I am now almost 85 pounds down so far.. I have 15 more to get to my goal.. Started out at about size 22/24 and now am down to 14 and will soon be in 12..

Me and my husband are currently planning on going on a cruise this May which will be my first since getting my lapband, but I have been to Disneyworld several times since.. so I have been on trips, just not a cruise..

As far as how its changed my life.. in every way possible! I look at food in a whole new light now.. I now eat to live, not live to eat.. I never realized how much I really ate before I had the surgery, until now when I see what I eat and think about how much more I would have ate before.. its quite an eye opener! Not only do I look better, but I feel better.. I am able to do so much more than I ever thought possible.. I am so looking forward to going on this cruise so I can do some of the things I've been wanting to do but didnt do because of my weight.. I havent had a real swimsuit in forever.. I used to wear mens swimshorts and a tankini top.. I recently bought a swimsuit and I cant wait to wear it!!

I had a gastric bypass (RNY) on 9/8/08. I've lost 50 pounds post-surgery so far. I'm considered a light weight, starting at a 39 BMI with about 85 lbs to lose. I am eating pretty much normally, just very small portions. I had to learn to chew much better. In December I went on a cruise, never felt deprived, and lost 2.5 lbs. It was actually great with all the protein choices ---- the key is to chew, chew, chew. I was able to have a bite here and there of some of the goodies too --- warm chocolate melting cake, creme brulee, etc. with no side effects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone else ever have this or the lap band done?

I have a good friend who had the gastric sleeve done. She has lost 90 pounds in 6 months...looks good, feels good. No dumping...no complications. You should check in at obesityhelp.com and read the different boards. She was considering the lapband (she also had 100 pounds to lose) and after reading the complications, went with the vertical gastric sleeve.

Good luck with your decision!

Hello,

I am new to this thread and would like to ask a couple of questions. My insurance won't cover WLS and everyone tells me it's about thirty-thousand dollars, is that true? How does everyone afford that? How do you decide between Gastric Bypass or the Lap band?

Thanks,

JK

My lapband surgery was $20,000 just for the surgeon's fee. So $30,000 sounds about right. I suggest going to the hospital where you want to have the procedure done and ask them about financial help. I don't think I could have afforded this on my own without insurance.

FF

ssatterly

I'm a registered nurse and I would always recommend against surgery. I've been doing weight watchers with 2 friends for 3 months we have lost about 100 pounds between us!

Even if you have surgery you will have to change your relationship with food. Do you have a strong support system in place?

And are you willing to face the risks? You risk projectile vomitting And leakage of stool.

This surgery is not a quick fix. And a huge expense.

I would recommend trying to lose before you think about surgery.

That being said, the benefits of weight loss are immense. Lowered blood pressure, reduced joint pain, improved heart health, and reduction or elimination of insulin.

Just explore all options before you have surgery.

Hello,

I would love to explore the possibility but without insurance, It must be for people that are financially secure. I do have a friend who had this done,she is very thin now. She told me her doctor told her most people never gain their weight back. She is 5 feet 9 inches tall and went from a 22 to a size 8 and her clothes hang on her. she still likes her sweets though.

JK

I would recommend also that you go to Obesityhelp.com. I was scheduled for a RNY. But, after learning all I could about it and banding, I chose banding. While the weight loss is very drastic with RNY, I just wasn’t willing to deal with the risk. I wanted to get off meds not, have to take more for the rest of my life. With both WLS’s you have to change your way of life with food. My Insurance wouldn’t cover the vertical sleeve as a stand alone.

Hello,

I would love to explore the possibility but without insurance, It must be for people that are financially secure. I do have a friend who had this done,she is very thin now. She told me her doctor told her most people never gain their weight back. She is 5 feet 9 inches tall and went from a 22 to a size 8 and her clothes hang on her. she still likes her sweets though.

JK

Actually if you go to the OH web site, there are places that advertise for much less. I know a lot of self pay even went to Mexico.

I have been looking into the surgery for a long time. I found out Kaiser will cover it but you have to go through a six month weekly class. It took 6 months to get into the class! I am now done with the class, finishing my labs today and waiting for final approval.

I did a lot of research and found the band had to many maintaince problems. The sleeve doesn't limit your eating, I need the risk ofdumping to cut out sweets.

I was thinking the same but, than I found out about 50% of people don't dump. So I had to base the after surgery complications/"maintaince" of the two and chose the band.

I gave up faster weight loss for the less invasive procedure. Only time will tell if I made the wrong choise.

I have surgery in less than a week. WOO HOO!

I had RNY on 9/8. I looked at banding but had seen that many people ended up with an RNY anyway and I couldn't stand the idea of having a port under my skin.

I am lucky (or am I?), I don't dump. I have been able to completed get off my diabetes meds (4 glucophage, 1 actos, 1 januvia a day) and high blood pressure (1 accupril) and high cholesterol (1 crestor) ----- 8 pills. But as someone said, I still take a boatload of pills ---- 3 calcium spaced during day, 1 multi-vit, 1-B12 sublingual, 1 pro-biotic, 1 biotin, 1 devrom. I have to monitor what I eat to make sure I get sufficient protein every day -- 65-75 grams.

I've lost 58 pounds in 5.5 months. I was considered a lightweight with a BMI of 39 and about 85 pounds to lose.

RNY is just a tool. You have to change the way you eat for a lifetime. I wasn't able to do that long-term without this tool. And the yo-yo, was killing me. So I took this step and I feel great.

I just got motivated to find this section today. My wife had the bypass done May 8th, just after our Freedom Cruise. I got my lapband 12/17. Today I got my first fill. My wife is down 105 pounds and I'm down 45.

Our first cruise, a 7 day on Voyager I went from 240-253. I only gained 5 on my last cruise, but it put both of us at our heaviest ever, for me that is 273. I'm down to 228 and hope to be below 220 by our upcoming Navigator cruise.

As I mentioned, I got my first fill (adjustment today) I've done really well even before the adjustment, so it will be interesting to see how eating will be in the next couple of days. I'm sure I will be use to it by our trip. I don't see the doctor agian until after we get back.

I've seen the gym on Voyager, Majesty, and Freedom, but have never used it. I think we will both be motivated to use it this trip. Previous cruises have been about enjoyment and relaxation. I want to try to at least break even on this one as far as wieght goes. We will see. I know, for the first time, I won't be getting the Soda package. That will be a big help right there.

I'll be back to post how it went after our trip. Now off to read your replies.

Hope this helps.

My story is a similar one. I definitely ate way to fast. A lot of poeple don't understand when I talk about learning to eat all over again.

I have not 100% decided yet wich one the by-pass or the band.... I need to lose over 100lbs so more than likely the by-pass......How has it changed your life?

I was almost exactly 100 pounds overweight, but BMI -Body Mass Index is a better way to measure. At 6'1 my BMI was 36 which is near the minimum that most insurances will pay. At 5' tall 100 pounds overweight can be a BMI of over 40-45. My wife was closer to 40 and had the bypass. I decided the band was right for me. I'm certain we both have already added years and quality to our lives.

I had a gastric bypass (RNY) on 9/8/08. I've lost 50 pounds post-surgery so far. I'm considered a light weight, starting at a 39 BMI with about 85 lbs to lose. I am eating pretty much normally, just very small portions. I had to learn to chew much better. In December I went on a cruise, never felt deprived, and lost 2.5 lbs. It was actually great with all the protein choices ---- the key is to chew, chew, chew. I was able to have a bite here and there of some of the goodies too --- warm chocolate melting cake, creme brulee, etc. with no side effects.

That's great to hear, I was looking for someone who has been on a cruise since surgery. Looking forward to ours.

Hello,

I am new to this thread and would like to ask a couple of questions. My insurance won't cover WLS and everyone tells me it's about thirty-thousand dollars, is that true? How does everyone afford that? How do you decide between Gastric Bypass or the Lap band?

Thanks,

JK

A lot of people in that situation go to Mexico for the lapband. That sounds scary to me, but I certainy understand being in that situation. That is where some of the forum's help with good recommendation.

I was thinking the same but, than I found out about 50% of people don't dump. So I had to base the after surgery complications/"maintaince" of the two and chose the band.

I gave up faster weight loss for the less invasive procedure. Only time will tell if I made the wrong choise.

I have surgery in less than a week. WOO HOO!

There isn't a wrong choice is you lose. My wife and I chose the opposite and are both doing well.

Archived