Which luxury deal would convince you to upgrade?

Erica@cruisecritic

Which luxury deal would convince you to upgrade (choose all that apply)?  

439 members have voted

1. 1. Which luxury deal would convince you to upgrade (choose all that apply)?

• $2,000 onboard credit per couple on Crystal's Europe sailings
    • Discounts up to $3,000 on Crystal's Europe sailings
    • Free airfare and other discounts on Oceania cruises
    • Free shore excursions on Regent Seven Seas
    • No single supplement on Regent's summer cruises
    • Up to $1,500 off Seabourn's Europe cruises
    • Two-for-one fares on French Country Waterways
    • $1,000 onboard credit on Silversea's summer sailings
    • Free airfare on Silversea's Europe cruises
    • A different promotion -- I'll post below
    • None of the above -- I'll post below

A sudden influx of value-added deals have made luxury cruises more affordable than ever before (see our news item here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3057). If you were already planning on a luxury cruise, these promotions definitely sweeten the deal. But if you're deciding whether to upgrade from a premium to a luxury line, the math gets trickier.

Which of these recent deals could convince you to upgrade from a mainstream or premium cruise line to a deluxe or luxury line? Please vote in our poll.

Ancldaca, I don't know if you're joking or not, but I recently wrote up just that deal! See: http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/news.cfm?NewsID=7628

It's a 23-night Western Mediterranean cruise on Queen Mary 2, sailing roundtrip from New York. The itinerary is essentially a cruise to Portugal, Italy, Monaco and Spain bookended by two transatlantic voyages between New York and Southampton.

The inside cabin rate was actually pretty good -- if you can stomach 23 nights with no window!

Throw in the airfare and the deal always is much sweeter. Plus, it lessens the hassle of trying to book both.

The deals on luxury sailings seem to be attracting some people. One of the women I work with just booked Seabourn on Thursday. There is a group of about 4 couples all doing the Med together. Even though the economy is not so great, they decided they couldn't pass up the better fares.

As for those deals with Free Air. I think they are a bit of a racket. If you look at the pricing carefully, they are just bundling the airfare in IMHO.

A cruise we recently looked at was advertising 1500 including free air. By the time we looked at a balcony cabin (1500 was a low catagory inside), the Per person price was 3900 CDN!!! Not such a deal.

I've got to say that my husband and I are already taking advantage of great deals in luxury hotel rates, dropping as a result of the economy, now and again. We really appreciate, even if it's a one night getaway, that sort of Calgon-take-me-away kind of experience. We've seen fairly amazing-good prices on Ritz-Carltons -- have stayed at one in Ft. Lauderdale and one in NYC's Battery Park City for rates that, at the same time, Hilton, Sheraton and the like, were charging.

And a one night getaway at both properties -- both offering excellence in all regards -- was as soothing as a real getaway.

Frankly, we normally, if being indulgent, would stay at smaller upscale places (in Ft. Lauderdale we love the Pillars at New River Sound) but because they are smaller, they don't have the rate flexibility that a bigger property chain might....

When I saw the press releases hawking the new luxury cruise deals I have to say -- I was shocked and tempted, both. I've never seen anything like this in the decade-plus I've been covering the cruise industry. We definitely might consider booking for our vacation one of the deals on cruises (if I was sure I could actually relax and not feel like I have to work all the time, LOL). I'm inclined to go for the Crystal offer, not just because the line's already discounting fares but also because there's more to spend your money on onboard Crystal than other lines; it's less all inclusive than Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas and the like.

One part of the freebie package I'd probably not even be tempted by is complimentary airfare. I'd so much rather be in control of how I get to wherever it is that I'm cruising (in most cases with these deals it's Europe) and frankly, another odd bonus of this horrid economy is that flights are actually available and pretty evenly priced. Typically and in my experience when you book through cruise line's air, it's coach and not business (though upgrades are offered you do pay for them) and you tend to get the dregs (way too many middle seats) which has always surprised me. Why people would spend thousands and then accept "free air" that socks you in to a cramped seat to Europe boggles my mind but there you have it. You're better off buying your own....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

While the luxury part sounds good, the ships are really small. That poses a two-fold problem for us: 1) increased likelihood of me getting seasick (I do okay on the larger ships) 2) no children's programs on most, and we travel with our DS, who is 7 right now.

Cruisemom42, if you're hoping for solo deals on luxury lines, now's the time to look. Oceania and Regent Seven Seas are offering no or low single supplement promotions, and I've seen solo traveler promotions on more "niche" lines like Uniworld, Hurtigruten and Voyages of Discovery (the deals we posted have expired, but there may be new ones).

Since airfare usually costs twice as much as the cost of cruising, I would totally go for SilverSea's recent offers of free airfare.

We are giving RCCL one more try, but unless blown away, we will be sailing SilverSea from now on....

I cannot even imagine comparing the two? While I have not sailed on SilverSea, the prices have made my chin drop. Comparing a mid-range, family cruise line to an upscale, luxury line? I doubt there will be any comparison ;)! While I have a good time on RCCL (or NCL or Princess or Celebrity), I haven't been blown away by any of them for years. I would expect to be blown away by SilverSea if I ever find a deal that I could not pass up! :D

As for those deals with Free Air. I think they are a bit of a racket. If you look at the pricing carefully, they are just bundling the airfare in IMHO.

A cruise we recently looked at was advertising 1500 including free air. By the time we looked at a balcony cabin (1500 was a low catagory inside), the Per person price was 3900 CDN!!! Not such a deal.

You too? Every time I receive this "outstanding deal" from Oceania, I go through the booking process online. The last time the "free air" came to $987 each in taxes! I don't look at their "deals" any more.......

Right now, we do not have the time to spend on a European vacation. Figure a minimum of two days travel to, plus two days travel from, Europe, plus a 7-10 night cruise... this makes for a no-can-do vacation. Our time is very limited as to when we can get away, what with the kids' schedules, work schedule, and other considerations... :rolleyes:

SO I said "other" because my answer is pretty much that nothing could get us on a premium (or other!) ship at the moment. I have booked a special cruise for me way off in October 2010. That's all I/we can fit in for cruising in the next couple of years. We're doing Cape Cod for a week this summer and Disney for a week next summer... so we're vacationing, just not cruising. :)

Oh, and we have promised to take our children on our next cruise (after my "girls only!" trip next year of course!). So this will probably be 2012 or so... and we are not taking our children on a luxury cruise! Regular cruiselines should be more than sufficient for our family.

While some of the luxury lines have all inclusiveness in their prices these are usually on smaller ships. If a cruise line could offer a 77,000 ton or bigger ship that would be all inclusive.....now your talking my language! My wife gets sea sick on the bigger ships somewhat and our recent cruise on the Carnival Holiday was the worst, but also the smallest ship we've been on.

As for all inclusive....We normally spend $1000 on board on a 7 day cruise so the pricing being offered lately has really caught my attention as an all inclusive would be comparably priced. Smoking is also an issue as more of these luxury cruises seem to be making it harder and harder for a smoker like me to smoke on their ships. If there is a line out there that can give me all these things then please let me know and we would be booking tomorrow!

Happy Cruising

Tim

Actually, no discount or perk would convince me. I cruise on Royal Caribbean because I LIKE the tacky 70's party on the Promenade, the "Quest" show, the belly flop contest, the crew versus passenger dodge ball...

I used to cruise on Carnival and liked it, but consider RCL to be a step above in regard to service. They offer PLENTY enough "luxury" for me!

We have been wanting to head to Spitzbergen/Artic for a while but for over a £1000 for 5 days with no air and basic cabins etc ie shared bathroom we decided it was no go. Two weeks ago got a flyer from TA about silversea Prince Albert ll at 40% off + 10% TA discount including all excursions,food,drinks and lux comfort - we got interested, on phoning it got even better:D they asked ' have you sailed SS before' ' No' came the reply from me (I wish) 'Well said my TA take another £300 off pp as a new passengers! So it's 12 nights on 24th July for us to the Artic!

Can't wait:D

Maddie

Although Regent is offering free excursions on SOME of their Alaska cruises (and you definitely want to do some excursions in Alaska), for the most part the specials on lines that interest us (luxury and one or two of the smaller ships of the premium lines) are for European sailings and we live on the West Coast. I don't like quickie vacations if I'm flying that far, so I would want to take either a 14+ day cruise or two cruises more or less back to back plus pad the front and back end with hotel stays. In 2001-2003 I remember free hotel packages with free transfers included in the offerings (in addition to deep discounts), but I haven't seen those this year (and yes, in addition to the OBC or free shore excursions).

We won't fly economy class for long distances and we don't have the miles to cover an upgrade. When I add in the air (which is never really free), and shore excursions and compare all the lines, they are still very expensive, too expensive per diem. We like for some cruises to be "ship as destination," but not for European cruises where sightseeing is important.

We are interested in cruising this year, but would prefer to see some ships brought back to U.S. ports to cut out the high cost and aggravation of flying. It's no longer the case that Europeans can afford to cruise more than Americans. If anything, it is getting worse over there than here. The Euro has plunged. So I say to the cruise lines, bring back the ships and give us some deep discounts HERE.

It's too late for this year, I suppose, but 2010 we'd like to see more offerings nearby during the summertime and early autumn especially.

Cheap air fare with any cruise gets my attention. I mean including the taxes and fees. Oceania's free air always has the air taxes and fees attached but sometimes it is still a good deal.

Otherwise home porting is for me until the air lines provide better value (which is in the eye of the beholder).

Archived