DIY transport from ship in Venice

Hello all!

Just wondered if anyone knows which port Thomson Majesty docks in Venice? I am looking into DIY transport to St Mark's and I have come across two possible port options.

Also looking for any advice from people who have done this before. What was your experience and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your help. :)

Hello all!

Just wondered if anyone knows which port Thomson Majesty docks in Venice? I am looking into DIY transport to St Mark's and I have come across two possible port options.

Also looking for any advice from people who have done this before. What was your experience and would you recommend it?

the same port all the other ships dock at.

Walk out the port gate, turn right and take the people mover to Piazza Roma. There catch vaporetto route 1 to St Marks Square via the grand canal.

Hello all!

when are you on board?

Paul

Or if your feeling energetic you can walk as we have done.

Get off the people mover at the bus station, croos to the other side, walk over the bridge with the steps and your then by the train station.

Just stroll in the same general direction, making sure you stop for a drink on the way in the small cafes in the back streets, which are excellent, especially the tables are outside. Not expensive either.

Then get the water bus back to the train station again - it will take about 30/40 minutes as it stops fequently.

Several ships have been diverted to the more industrial port because of size since November 2013 and ships over a certain tonnage will be required to do so in 2015. You can't assume which port it will berth at anymore.

Several ships have been diverted to the more industrial port because of size since November 2013 and ships over a certain tonnage will be required to do so in 2015. You can't assume which port it will berth at anymore.

Thomson don't have big ships ;)

Thanks from me too as we want to do as many of these ports on Adriatic Explorer and Aegean Delights when we join Majesty on May 2nd. Not long now!!

Not long now till we get on majesty we won't be on till 21.00 approx hope we can meet for a drink during the cruise roll on 2nd May . Keith & Catherine :cool:

Assuming that you dock at the cruise terminal, which I think will be the case this year given the recently announced delay in the port changes, then you have a couple of options.

There is an express waterbus that runs from within the cruise terminal dock direct to St Marks Square - I took this to get there as quickly as possible to make the most of my day, it was more expensive and didn't go down the Grand Canal but went straight to St Marks along the same route as the ship takes on sail out.

Coming back I got vaporetto route 1 along the Grand Canal from Rialto Bridge to Piazza Roma, then walked to the people mover and back to the dock that way, the reverse of the journey that davecttr describes.

I will be there again in August and am tempted to walk back to be honest, if you know which landmark you're heading for the signs on the buildings keep you straight!