Zipline (Los Veranos and others') safety records?

SunnyCal

I am thinking of booking a zipline excursion for our cruise in Feb. Never having done a zipline before, I am cautious. I have read reviews and others have stated they felt safe. I am curious though, is there a way to find out specific accident rates and safety records? I read a "report" about deaths on a thread here, and for the life of me, I can't find it again. I know it is a risky activity, as many are, but I'd like to be fully informed before I make a decision. Thanks in advance, Sunny

I am thinking of booking a zipline excursion for our cruise in Feb. Never having done a zipline before, I am cautious. I have read reviews and others have stated they felt safe. I am curious though, is there a way to find out specific accident rates and safety records? I read a "report" about deaths on a thread here, and for the life of me, I can't find it again. I know it is a risky activity, as many are, but I'd like to be fully informed before I make a decision. Thanks in advance, Sunny

Yes, there was a death that did occur this year at the Los Veranos excursion site in February. The death was not due to an accident or any safety related incident. The individual had a heart attack while zipping along on one of the lines.

This was taken from the TripAdvisor web site -

"I went on the canopy de los veranos with my family last monday ( 02/26/07), on the 11am tour, and it was alot of fun, the staff is great, it is extremely safe, we never felt in danger... there was an incident at the very last zip line, a man suffered a heart attack, and died before arriving to the last platform, which ends at the bar... he was helped getting off the zip line, the staff as well as some of the customers helped with the CPR, and unfortunately there was nothing they could do... anyway, I wanted to post this comment because I wouldn't like other people to place any misleading information that may affect such a great tour... as shocking as it was for all of the present people ( including me ), it was in no way, the canopy fault... and I totally recommend everyone to do this amaizing tour !"

Additionally, the unfortunate event was reported and discussed within this forum here -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=507690

We do ourselves and our fellow travelers a disservice when we post fragments of a story without having the ability to cite the source.

I recall somebody posting the link to a site that catalogs/reports all incidents that cruise passengers are involved in across the globe. I don't have the link.

As for public records that list accident rates and safety records for any excursion in Mexico ... good luck. When something does happen, it will be reported here and on other travel related web sites. The heart attack death is the only negative "event" that was found after a rather lengthy search of the net.

I have been on the Vallarta Adventures canopy tour once (ship's tour) and the Los Veranos tour twice (independent). My wife is scared to death of heights and had a pretty good time doing Los Veranos because you end nearly every zipline on good old terra firma.

Enjoy!

My wife is also scared of heights but after finally convincing her to do a zipline, she found out that she loved it. We have always felt very safe on the tours. If you follow the instructions and the rules, you are never unhooked from the line when there is any chance of falling. Enjoy!!

My family of 5 just did the Los Veranos canopy zip line in PV on Dec 19th. We had a great time. Yes, the first zip line (a real short tree to tree segment) my family was nervous, but from then on they had a great time. Everyone is custom fitted with a harness, then a safety presentation is given. The Guides really ham it up. It is obvoious that they have been doing this a long time. Each harness has a main clip that clips to the metal "trolly" that rides each zip line. There is a secondary safety line that clips over the zip line (and attached to the back of the trolly so as not to be worn by rubbing on the zip line cable.) IF the trolly were to fail, the secondary line would prevent a fall. When unclipped from the trolly, the safety line is connected to a safety cable IF you are off the ground. Many transits between the end of one and the start of another zip line are on good old terra firma. The ones that end/start up in a tree you clip to a safety cable. Was I worried about safety when riding the bumpy bus to the canopy? Yes. Afterwards? Not at all. I'd do it again, as would my family and everyone who was in the group. We even bought the video they made of our tour. Both my daughters, and many others in the group had Guides videoing the crossings. The Guides would cross at the same time. They were real monkeys (in a great way for sure). They were safe and friendly. All spoke english

I felt TOTALLY safe when I did this in Sept. 2006 and LOVED it. Did ziplines in Jamaica in May 2007 and felt safe too!

Taking hubby back to do PV because it's MUCH better than Jamaica! 2 WEEKS! YAY!

You'll LOVE IT and alot less $$ booking online than through the cruise ship.

GOOD LUCK!

My DH and I did Vallarta Adventures in Spring of 2006. They were totally professional and SAFE. I will tell you we took our kids Zipping last summer in Kaui and there was no comparison. V.A. had a two line cable, gloves, lots of guides and a thourough into talk, Hawaii was two kids in flip flops, one cable and very little instruction. We are planning on a family cruise to Mexico and V.A. is on our definite things/company's to book.

Hope that helps:)

We have zipped in St. Lucia (our favorite), Belize (second favorite), and Antigua (ok, but not as great), and all have been fabulous experiences. The safety methods have always been thoroughly explained and the guides are super careful about making sure things are "in order" before you leave the platform. This has become a "must do" on all of our cruises, so beware...it's addictive (and very safe)!!!

Archived