Long haul,is it worth it?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:17 PM.
Lincolnshire
33 Posts
Joined May 2014
Originally posted by wowzz
Not sure where you got the feeling about the general consensus being that long haul flights are not worth it. For only one week, no, for more than one week, yes.
And I have no idea what Fred Olsen has to do with a question about long haul flights! And as for fixed dining - sorry, totally lost me!
Sorry,trying to be conclusive about my future holiday. Thought of returning to UK early morning then having to drive 6 hrs or stay hotel and stare at the ceiling for couple hours negates the holiday. A few have had bad times with this part of their trip, it has totally nailed it for me.
rhetorically saying this time, Fred Olsen, I don't want staff in my face befriending me.
Fixed dinning,too risky. Boring people are never bored. I appear to be a magnet, yes I know.
Britannia or a Queen it shall be. Nothing to do with long haul, just scribble.
To be honest I'm just not good with holidays, much prefer my garden. I do it for my wife and I happen to be a very good ballroom dancer, which she likes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Britannia 9 Oct 2016
Queen Victoria May 2016
Ventura 2014
Oriana 2006 & 2008
Oceana 2006
UK
219 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I hate flying but we are going for it, see the world whilst we still can. We've booked PE to hopefully make it a bit nicer. In-laws are collecting us from the airport so we don't have to drive home after the night flight as we have no idea if we will sleep having not done one before. I've booked a hotel at Gatwick the night before and that's when our holiday will begin! I'm so excited, I then come home and go back to work for 4 days before we break up for Xmas so hopefully it will help the holiday blues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming...
P&O Azura - December 2017 - Caribbean

Completed -
P&O Britannia - May 2017 - Norwegian Fjords
RCI Independence - August 2016 - Mediterranean Cities
NCL Epic - Dec 2015 - West Mediterranean
RCI Adventure - Sept 2014 - Spain & Canary Islands
Grand Princess - Sept 2012 - Mediterranean Medley
33 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Not sure what the deal is about the 787. 14 hours upstairs on the A380 is much more comfortable than 9 hours on the 787.
The price differential between both flights would probably give us an aft suite over a balcony cabin, however each to their own.

I wouldn't pay the difference unless I was a lottery winner or on my death bed - Just out of principal.

Sitting in a plane with a decent pitch (787) with 3 meals and unlimited drinks Long haul is less stressful than a 5 hour drive to the Midlands.
Cheshire, UK
683 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Yes long haul is a pain, but worth it for the fantastic places we've been to. Longest was New Zealand, absolutely amazing holiday and worth every uncomfortable moment. Luckily we only live 30 minutes from Manchester so journey home not too bad.
Emirates A380 is very comfortable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is like a book, if you don't travel, you only read the first page
757 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by doog442
The price differential between both flights would probably give us an aft suite over a balcony cabin, however each to their own.

I wouldn't pay the difference unless I was a lottery winner or on my death bed - Just out of principal.

Sitting in a plane with a decent pitch (787) with 3 meals and unlimited drinks Long haul is less stressful than a 5 hour drive to the Midlands.
I think you have missed the point I was trying to make, which is that flying economy, the A380 is much more comfortable than the 787, and all this Dreamlike guff is just rubbish.
33 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I think you have missed the point I was trying to make, which is that flying economy, the A380 is much more comfortable than the 787, and all this Dreamlike guff is just rubbish.
I didnt find any difference..apologies but isnt most of the upper deck on the A380 business class , we've only flown Emirates on it.

Do P&0 use the A380 ?
757 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I didnt find any difference..apologies but isnt most of the upper deck on the A380 business class , we've only flown Emirates on it.

Do P&0 use the A380 ?
Depends on which airline you are using. Malaysia, for example, have a nice small economy section at the rear of the upper deck.
P&O fly cruises only use charter airlines, none of which use A380s.
33 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
P&O fly cruises only use charter airlines, none of which use A380s.
So why mention the A380 on a long haul P&0 thread ?
757 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
So why mention the A380 on a long haul P&0 thread ?
I agree it is not really relevant. It is just a pet hate of mine that everyone appears to go into raptures over the bl**dy 787, for no reason whatsoever. I'll try and keep my coonents on point in future!