To Speedo or not to Speedo

NYCcruiser86

In my experience, wearing Speedos on a cruise can cause some fairly MAJOR problems. I've been relentlessly flirted with, been bought some VERY alcoholic drinks, wolf-whistled at, pestered for training/nutrition tips...

I mean, I've learned to deal with it, but it can be a little frightening for newbies.

• 2 weeks later...

For what i just saw on my last cruise 2 weeks ago you shoudnt be embarrassed. There were several middle aged women that were well over 300 lbs wearing 2 peice bikinis and walking around like there is nothing wrong with it... It was so bad that the stomach flab hung over so far that you couldnt tell if they had any bottoms on.... Is that a good description for ya?

Why they make 2 peice suits on that size, I dont know... I have a speedo body, 6-3 155 with a toned up body.

Thats Carnival cruise lines for you.... LOL.

For what i just saw on my last cruise 2 weeks ago you shoudnt be embarrassed. There were several middle aged women that were well over 300 lbs wearing 2 peice bikinis and walking around like there is nothing wrong with it... It was so bad that the stomach flab hung over so far that you couldnt tell if they had any bottoms on.... Is that a good description for ya?

Why they make 2 peice suits on that size, I dont know... I have a speedo body, 6-3 155 with a toned up body.

I saw a guy about 25 years ago who was easily that fat(even more so)We were in an ice cream parlor & he walked in. No shirt, just this tiny speedo(more like a thong, actually)Nowhere near any body of water. I'm sorry, but I went into hysterics & had to walk out. I never could see his reason. The manager made him leave to at least put on a shirt,which he never did.

In my experience, wearing Speedos on a cruise can cause some fairly MAJOR problems. I've been relentlessly flirted with, been bought some VERY alcoholic drinks, wolf-whistled at, pestered for training/nutrition tips...

I mean, I've learned to deal with it, but it can be a little frightening for newbies.

If your icon is any indication, that's just what happens when you're too cute!

• 2 weeks later...

As always this topic raises a lot of discussion and still mystifies me. I'm straight and 62. I have worn Speedos since I was a young stud naval officer. With kids who were constantly 'embarrassed, that their dad wore Speedos even to the neighborhood pool. About 8 years ago I was hit with Type 2 diabetes and my weight soared. Speedos were out sadly. Over the last six months I lost over 80 pounds, have been back in the gym and no longer on meds.... We have a cruise coming in March. The Speedos are out of the storage box, even got a couple of new pairs.

I very well will be the only man on the cruise, on the ship and at Half Moon Cay, in Speedos; but so be it. We are sailing with some friends who will surely kid me, but they will certainly also celebrate with me my health turnaround.

I like the feel and the look of Speedos. Notice I did not say, OTHERS, MY KIDS like the feel and look. Nor do I take that as the determinant of whether I will wear them.

Dennis

Its funny how society will allow women of any body type to wear 2 piece or bikinis at any public place, beach, pool, cruise, whatever. And as soon as a guy wears a speedo, even young in shape guys (to which they dont at least from the USA), it becomes a major issue and people say "you shouldnt wear that on a public beach due to women and kids". Its no differant then women in bikinis, expecially the out of shape ones.

I wear Speedos, been wearing them for very long time. I saw a comment on here that I read that someone was complaining about someone was going to wear a speedo at a public beach where his kid and wife will be at... SO WHAT.. Its made for swimming.. GET OVER IT PEOPLE...

What bothers me about this person, is he is married with a kid yet he hangs out on the Gay forums on CC..... That I see a problem...

To close this comment, I will continue to wear them as long as I still have my 6-3, 160lb tanned, smooth toned up body.... LOL.

As always this topic raises a lot of discussion and still mystifies me. I'm straight and 62. I have worn Speedos since I was a young stud naval officer. With kids who were constantly 'embarrassed, that their dad wore Speedos even to the neighborhood pool. About 8 years ago I was hit with Type 2 diabetes and my weight soared. Speedos were out sadly. Over the last six months I lost over 80 pounds, have been back in the gym and no longer on meds.... We have a cruise coming in March. The Speedos are out of the storage box, even got a couple of new pairs.

I very well will be the only man on the cruise, on the ship and at Half Moon Cay, in Speedos; but so be it. We are sailing with some friends who will surely kid me, but they will certainly also celebrate with me my health turnaround.

I like the feel and the look of Speedos. Notice I did not say, OTHERS, MY KIDS like the feel and look. Nor do I take that as the determinant of whether I will wear them.

Dennis

This is mainly a US problem. The Aussies, Brazilians and others see no problem here. Men wear what we in the US call speedo swim suits no matter the body shape. Personally I have no problem with any male wearing speedo. As for children, they are embarassed by their parents many times for many different reasons. It is part of growing up! For my part we need to ban wearing what appears to be too short pants (aka board shorts) on a growing teenager in a pool as they are dirt carriers.

I always wear speedo style swimwear, I want to get a decent sun tan & long shorts won't help with that. Speedos also dry far quicker after swimming than shorts do. I'm in my fifties & whilst slim I know I don't have a perfect body, but I'm not covering up just because a few people will tut at my form.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say anyone Gay or Str8 can feel free to post on this subject and I applaud you for losing the weight and getting back into your speedo. I have just lost 102 pounds, down to 199, would love to wear a speedo, but have to do lots of toning up first (hard to do with a 70 yr old well used body, omg did I say that)

Anyway, I say "speedo away" and don't let ANYONE sway your choices in wardrobe.

AAero

• 2 weeks later...

That is quite the visual :( However, if you want and can were one; great. I swam for years on a competitive team and it was standard then. These days, as much as I would "like" to wear one, it's just not going to happen. Ahhhhhh, middle age :)

I always wear a speedo, and see no reason to not wear on board a ship, nearly all the men I have seen on the beach in Miami over the several years I have been visiting Straight or Gay have worn Speedos and some even less!!!!

So IMO I for one shall continue to wear one on my first Cruise in Nov to the Caribbean, after all there is no difference between my wearing a speedo and a woman wearing some skimpy hanky and passing that off as a Bikini!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wear what you are comfortable in. I like a square cut trunk and feel comfortable in it, usually. This time not because I have put on weight. However, my partner wears speedo style because he is very fit. He is also latino and most people assume we are european. No one ever looks and if they do they are typically polite enough not to make us uncomfortable. We have even fallen asleep with our arms around each other on a lounger and never felt uncomfortable. We also live in SF and pretty much ignore anyone who would make us feel that way too... LOL

Wear what you are comfortable in. I like a square cut trunk and feel comfortable in it, usually. This time not because I have put on weight. However, my partner wears speedo style because he is very fit. He is also latino and most people assume we are european. No one ever looks and if they do they are typically polite enough not to make us uncomfortable. We have even fallen asleep with our arms around each other on a lounger and never felt uncomfortable. We also live in SF and pretty much ignore anyone who would make us feel that way too... LOL

I agree, NEVER let others tell you what to wear, be yourself and be confident with who you are, afterall, your style is just a tiny part of who you are, people are far too hung up on how others look rather than just accepting that we are all individuals with our own unique style and persona. I wear what i like, when i like and how i like.........within reason, i'm not that brave, lol

Edited by Triock
spelling erroes

I think that speedos look GREAT on anyone who feels they have the body to wear them. Yes, it is up to YOU. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ESPECIALLY a woman. Just remember what atrocious outfits they parade around the pools wearing and then have the nerve to criticize men for wearing speedos.

I am not misogynist, but sure have definite feelings about being told what to wear and what not to wear by the opposite sex.