Man overboard on Sapphire Princess

marypa

We experienced our first ever man overboard on Sapphire last week.A young man dived from deck 13 (we think) and the captain announced man overboard on the tanoid. A few people through life jackets to mark the stop. The ship turned and ribs and tenders were deployed and search lights. I thought he must have been killed in the fall and was devastated to have knowledge of it

I couldn't believe that they found him! A miracle in my view and all credit to the Captain and crew who saved his life

He was thrown off at the next port with his family(so we heard)

For those who focus on lots of things other than someone's life is at stake when somone goes over; we had a man overboard on the Caribbean Princess August 2014.

We happened to be in our stateroom around 9 PM when the captain made the call; the person went over on the port side on a lower deck. A witness threw them a life jacket. The ship immediately sent out flares so the course could be tracked; slowly came to a stop and turned back. We watched it all and it was surreal.

They sent a crew in a lifeboat and I could not believe they would really find this person. It was not a good feeling to know someone could be drowning out there.

They found the person and returned him to the ship. The captain and crew did an incredible job.

I do not know why the person went over but they did put him off at the next port.

I do not think anyone onboard would be feeling good if this person was never found.

For those who focus on lots of things other than someone's life is at stake when somone goes over; we had a man overboard on the Caribbean Princess August 2014.

We happened to be in our stateroom around 9 PM when the captain made the call; the person went over on the port side on a lower deck. A witness threw them a life jacket. The ship immediately sent out flares so the course could be tracked; slowly came to a stop and turned back. We watched it all and it was surreal.

They sent a crew in a lifeboat and I could not believe they would really find this person. It was not a good feeling to know someone could be drowning out there.

They found the person and returned him to the ship. The captain and crew did an incredible job.

I do not know why the person went over but they did put him off at the next port.

I do not think anyone onboard would be feeling good if this person was never found.

Of course we wouldn't. But in the event posted by the OP, we already knew the outcome, that the ex-passenger's actions harmed no one, even himself, and that the cruise line did not care to have the passenger continue aboard. We would react differently had someone been harmed, even by his own actions. It could be worse. A similar story in the newspapers, had the person died, would probably attract ill-considered reader comments inquiring as to the individual's eligibility for the Darwin Award.

Sorry - I am a UK writer

Rigid inflatable boat

Tanoid - loud speaker

You are right about deck 13 - it must have been 14 - the top...

He was Chinese and, apparently, had an argument with his parents

We watched the rescue from our balcony, as did most of the ship

The lifebelts were thrown by people who saw him jump as they have a homing device and light to guide the rescue

It was all very upsetting until we heard the reason was not suicide but a young man being a twit

First off human life is precious, even tho it is hard to feel sorry for someone this far down on the gene pool:rolleyes:. Perhaps mental instability could be a factor, then I would have some sympathy. Last but not least everyone should be aware when this does happen you should at once throw an X overboard to mark the spot.:)

Sorry - I am a UK writer

Rigid inflatable boat

Tanoid - loud speaker

The lifebelts were thrown by people who saw him jump as they have a homing device and light to guide the rescue

It was all very upsetting until we heard the reason was not suicide but a young man being a twit

Thanks for telling about this. Good job.

Apologies for those who did not understand English from the UK.

It was easy to understand from the context.

Thanks again.

Sorry - I am a UK writer

Rigid inflatable boat

Tanoid - loud speaker

Incredible! What a ninny. Amazing that they put him and his family off at the next port but I guess they couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't do it again. Wonder if he would be banned for life? Except for the horror of it, it must have been amazing to watch the rescue take place.

Thank you for posting. Are there life jackets available on each outside deck to throw overboard to mark the spot?

I know there are the life saving rings on the open decks, but I don't know if they have the water activated lights.

Thank you for posting. Are there life jackets available on each outside deck to throw overboard to mark the spot?

I know there are the life saving rings on the open decks, but I don't know if they have the water activated lights.

No life jackets available other then the large storage lockers and bins on the Promenade deck.

I would not know how someone could get one unless they threw it from their balcony. ;)

Yes the life rings have the water activated light on them.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No life jackets available other then the large storage lockers and bins on the Promenade deck.

I would not know how someone could get one unless they threw it from their balcony. ;)

Yes the life rings have the water activated light on them.

Just bust the little seal on the storage lockers.....;););)

Bob

Just bust the little seal on the storage lockers.....;););)

Bob

I agree, however unless they were right there near the lockers it would take too much time to get there and get one to toss. Probably be too late. Good to throw a ring and anything else to mark the spot as soon as possible. This would include a deck chair (not the heavy teak ones) etc that might float for awhile.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Wow. We were supposed to be on that cruise. We accepted a move-over offer.

I am so glad they found the man. I hope that he lives long enough to recognize how fortunate he is. :o

It is a shame that Darwin did not take precedence over rescuing. Just think - this idiot may have children and pass his genes on to his offspring.

DON

I agree, however unless they were right there near the lockers it would take too much time to get there and get one to toss. Probably be too late. Good to throw a ring and anything else to mark the spot as soon as possible. This would include a deck chair (not the heavy teak ones) etc that might float for awhile.

Digging into the locker would mean losing sight of the man, unless there are two of you

Personal opinion here - I think it makes excellent sense to kick the family off at the next port. Not worth the hassle to the passengers who have already had to deal with distress caused by the jumpers' initial action, or potential liability to the cruise line (imagine if he took some other idiotic action after that - there's always someone who would be hollering to sue Carnival Corp or seeking compensation because the Captain allowed the person to remain onboard after an earlier idiotic/dangerous episode). I'd think that hitting the water from that hight must have hurt, so hopefully that long long flight hime with parents who probably can't recover the cost of the interrupted trip from their trip insurance will help him gain some perspective. :rolleyes:

Edited by LoriPhil

To bad people assume that one cruise line has a market on jumpers. This happens repeatedly across the cruise industry. Just not on one specific line.

It is a shame that people are either stupid enough the think they can live thru a jump or are so sick they think this is what they need to do.

Personal opinion here - I think it makes excellent sense to kick the family off at the next port. Not worth the hassle to the passengers who have already had to deal with distress caused by the jumpers' initial action, or potential liability to the cruise line (imagine if he took some other idiotic action after that - there's always someone who would be hollering to sue Carnival Corp or seeking compensation because the Captain allowed the person to remain onboard after an earlier idiotic/dangerous episode). I'd think that hitting the water from that hight must have hurt, so hopefully that long long flight hime with parents who probably can't recover the cost of the interrupted trip from their trip insurance will help him gain some perspective. :rolleyes:

They may only have kicked him off, and the parents chose to leave with him. From what I have read on these boards by people who know more about this sort of thing than I do, Princess isn't into punishing people, but they want to make sure everyone is safe. There is no reasonable way of assuring the safety of someone who would jump into the sea from a cruise ship. Even if you lock his balcony (if he has one), there are open decks with rails. They can sit someone outside his cabin until the next port, but then he's got to go. It's not like Princess has spare people to babysit adult passengers.

Edited by Wehwalt