Airfare to san juan

cruisecriticmonster

We are sailing on Adventure of the Seas April 8th of 2017...I am pricing airfare right now and getting sick to my stomach because of the prices that I am seeing from Delta...American...United...Sun Country (local airline)...all pretty much between 650 and 700 per person from Minneapolis to san Juan...yuck...anyone have any feedback on when these prices MAY get some what better...thanks in advance...I priced something last night at 8pm...and this morning it went up by 105.00 per person...REALLY...:eek:

We too were sick about the air prices we found. We waited & kept checking daily & ended up booking our flights about 6 to 8 weeks out & got a decent deal on Southwest. We found prices change daily & with different times of day.

I know what you mean. I just booked air to sju with Air2Sea and saved $50 per ticket compared to booking directly with the airline or with the other travel sites

Edited by Artemus

April airfares to San Juan have been nightmarish for years. If you can do Southwest I would do it (once they open for April 2017 flights).

Edited by Teeara

Does Southwest Air service MSP? We got a better fares back in 2014 and I checked today, but its too early for me to book for my next cruise. I saw $240 each Rt from Columbus.

Is there a Southwest flight from your airport? Although I have found that even they are high lately. Sometimes I drive to Raleigh (from Charlotte) bc flights are way cheaper Is there another airport within a couple hours that may be cheaper?

Also, do you have a TA? When my dad went to Ireland last year, my TA was able to find cheaper airfare and saved him some money.

I booked AOS out of San Juan for Dec 2017. If airfare is too much, I'll just cancel before final payment and go on a cruise with other friends sailing in Nov.

I was doing the search for airfares for Aug. to San Juan!!! I was really getting upset with the prices. I kept watching Southwest and finally got a decent airfare. $414 per person round trip, not too shabby. Hopefully you'll be lucky to find an airfare that is decent. Good luck!

Carol

I think you are looking way too early. Even if Southwest or JetBlue aren't options for you, once they release their fares other airlines may adjust theirs. I'm sailing Adventure in March and while I'm a little nervous about flight prices I'm not going to panic until SW and JetBlue release theirs.

We live in the Twin Cities and fly out of MSP. We were on Adventure a couple of months ago, March 2016. We flew from MSP to ATL, changed planes then on to San Juan. Returning after the cruise is a non-stop from SJU to MSP, but only on Saturdays.

I watched those flight prices like a hawk, every single day and usually twice a day at different times, for six solid months, before finally booking 5 months out. Generally coach was close to $700 and first class was $1200. It did fluctuate one day, about 6:00 am on a Saturday in October, for first class went down to $850. We jumped on that one.

We are sailing on Adventure of the Seas April 8th of 2017...I am pricing airfare right now and getting sick to my stomach because of the prices that I am seeing from Delta...American...United...Sun Country (local airline)...all pretty much between 650 and 700 per person from Minneapolis to san Juan...yuck...anyone have any feedback on when these prices MAY get some what better...thanks in advance...I priced something last night at 8pm...and this morning it went up by 105.00 per person...REALLY...:eek:

I know what you mean, we are booked on the Summit leaving April 1st and bought one way tickets the 1st day they open up to leave the Wednesday before. I think we got a great deal, LAX to SJU for, get this $176pp on Delta. I was like heck ya lets book these now and then I'll wait a week for the return flights.

Well the week went by and they did have $176 tix back to LAX but there was like a 10 hour layover in Charolette. Way too long, So I check daily and the cheapest right now is $205pp but its that same crazy flight. There is one for $230 that leave SJU at 1230 and gets back to LAX at 1030 which is really perfect but its $230pp which would still put us right at $400 round trip which is pretty good, but im going to hold out. I'm hoping once Spirit's bookings and Southwest bookings open up then they may come down.

I did find one a couple weeks ago SJU to San Diego for $215 one way (and we live in San Diego but then how do we get to LAX on the going flight without our car etc, shuttles are way too expensive)

To the OP, are you using google flights to look at prices?

I have been watching a few of the booking sites for our sailing in November. We are flying from Milwaukee two days prior to our cruise. Flight w two nights hotel at OSJ Sheraton or Stellarias have been about $675 - $700.

Dang, Can you drive to Chicago and then fly from Chicago? Only in the mid $300's

I was thinking about that. It's just that we are 4 hours from Chicago vs. 2 hours from Milwaukee. Trying to talk myself into the extra drive time after flying 6+ hours already......

Is there a Southwest flight from your airport? Although I have found that even they are high lately. Sometimes I drive to Raleigh (from Charlotte) bc flights are way cheaper Is there another airport within a couple hours that may be cheaper?

Also, do you have a TA? When my dad went to Ireland last year, my TA was able to find cheaper airfare and saved him some money.

I booked AOS out of San Juan for Dec 2017. If airfare is too much, I'll just cancel before final payment and go on a cruise with other friends sailing in Nov.

I am in Charlotte also and I feel your pain as far as flying out of Charlotte which has some of the highest airfares in the country. For our Adventure cruise this past October we actually drove to Atlanta for our flight to San Juan on Southwest. We saved $205 per ticket ($410) and still came out over $300 ahead after parking there for the week. We also flew out of Atlanta for our cruise out of San Juan in 2010 so for your cruise in December 2017 check out flights out of Atlanta as an option when they become available. :cool:

Edited by bigque

Does Southwest Air service MSP? We got a better fares back in 2014 and I checked today, but its too early for me to book for my next cruise. I saw $240 each Rt from Columbus.

Yes Southwest does service MSP and should have fares in the $400 rt range once the flights open up--if you are fast and keep looking you can find 250-300 rt on SWA from MSP to SJU

We gave up on cruising from San Juan - air and hotel prices through the roof. So now to do the Southern Caribbean, we use Fort Lauderdale 10 and 11 night cruises for the Southern routes on Serenade.

Ditto to that Gary!! We are booked again on Serenade this February. Once our

"fur faced" children pass into kitty cat heaven, we will do like many others on board

and enjoy the B2B. The 10 night is different itinerary than the 11 night, which gives

you a lot of port of call choices in 21 days. :)

Just don't like that scary drive down there in that traffic. At least you are closer than

we are. ;)

I am in Charlotte also and I feel your pain as far as flying out of Charlotte which has some of the highest airfares in the country. For our Adventure cruise this past October we actually drove to Atlanta for our flight to San Juan on Southwest. We saved $205 per ticket ($410) and still came out over $300 ahead after parking there for the week. We also flew out of Atlanta for our cruise out of San Juan in 2010 so for your cruise in December 2017 check out flights out of Atlanta as an option when they become available. :cool:

ATL was cheaper than RDU? Flights I book for my boss are frequently out of RDU b/c they are cheaper and usually his layover is in Charlotte. :eek: Funny how it's cheaper to take 2 flights instead of boarding directly in Charlotte.

This was a couple years ago, but we got a good deal from Chicago to San Juan on Jet Blue, but I don't think JetBlue flies to MSP. You can always get really cheap flights from MSP to ORD, although not sure how that would work with checked bags, or make the 6 hour drive if you really want to. I'm seeing about $400 RT pp for ORD to SJU

I've also been told the lowest price for airfare is usually the 6th Tuesday before your flight, no clue how accurate that is though.

We gave up on cruising from San Juan - air and hotel prices through the roof. So now to do the Southern Caribbean, we use Fort Lauderdale 10 and 11 night cruises for the Southern routes on Serenade.

My idea on air prices being too much changed the moment we moved to Alaska. We look at about $600-700 pp just to get to a major airport in the lower 48, my husband has to fly out to a bush community for work at the end of the month and it's about $2K for him, puddle jumper from Anchorage to the nearest regional airstrip, then a charter flight float plane to get out to the actual community. I love it up here, but we're definitely looking forward to getting back to the lower 48 to avoid the airfare.

even from NYC prices are way too high - i can get tickets for 388 rt nonstop, but that's for the 7 am return trip on 4/16, which wont work - need at least 12 pm flight and that bumps price up to 458 each.

going to wait for Jet Blue to open flights and hope for drop in price.

even from NYC prices are way too high - i can get tickets for 388 rt nonstop, but that's for the 7 am return trip on 4/16, which wont work - need at least 12 pm flight and that bumps price up to 458 each.

going to wait for Jet Blue to open flights and hope for drop in price.

The last time we flew into San Juan it was also on Jet Blue. Non stop Orlando to

San Juan, into their nice new terminal (huge improvement over the main terminal)

and price was very cheap at the time. We would use them again should we fly

down there. Great service!

ATL was cheaper than RDU? Flights I book for my boss are frequently out of RDU b/c they are cheaper and usually his layover is in Charlotte. :eek: Funny how it's cheaper to take 2 flights instead of boarding directly in Charlotte.

Yes I always check RDU also and the flights out of Atlanta was actually cheaper. I have flown out of RDU on a couple of occasions to go to out west. I had to go to California for the funeral of my grandmother a few years back and a short notice flight to Calif from CLT was $1,300 and I was able to fly out of RDU for $600.

DW and I went through this nightmare this past March, STL R/T to SJU. I was freaking out and almost cancelled the cruise because of air fare. It was around $1800 total for both of us. Two years earlier we did it for a little over $600. I looked at travel sites daily and my preference is for SWA. They did come through with lower prices just under $1000 for the both of us. Though more than I wanted to pay, I was able to capture 3 price drops and get credit towards a future flight. I just used that credit for a STL to HOU (Hobby) flight in Nov. With the current SWA sale, I was able to get 2 tickets with my credit for under $11. We fly out of SJU again in Apr 2017 so I'll be watching the site like a hawk to get the best deal. Once retired, I'll do as Gary suggested, go out of Florida on a 10-11 day cruise on the Southern route.