fjords 22-29 July single mum & 8 yr old daughter... would you?

tillymintsmum

I'm umming and ahhing about booking a holiday this year. Not keen on flying so a cruise from S'ton is best option. Best price in school hols is a Norwegian fjords on Azura... It'll be just me and my 8 year old daughter... would any of you seasoned Fjords visitors recommend it?

I'm particularly interested in what the weather might be like in July and what the sea is like (we've done a choppy bay of Biscay before which induced a whole day of seasickness for my daughter)

and Norway - what would you recommend doing on port days?

Many thanks x

Edited by tillymintsmum

At that time of year the weather you can expect probably won't be too different from what you can expect in the UK in July. The sea probably won't be too bad, but of course you could be unlucky. Of course if you don't like flying but your daughter is a really poor sailor, the two of you aren't an ideal combination!

I think whether the cruise it's a good idea or not depends a lot on what your daughter is like. I imagine some would really enjoy it, while some would be bored away from their usual friends and amusements. Of course there is a kids' club on board, but not having children of my own I don't know anything about it.

As to what to do on port days, if you're visiting Flam then a trip on the railway is a must.

Having done this cruise and having had children (now adults), I would say that if your daughter is going to use the kids Club, then she will have a whale of a time and you will have a lovely restful holiday. If she is unlikely to use the kids Club, I would think that she would be bored stiff.

When we went, also in July, the North Sea was very calm, although we were on Britannia which based on our two cruises on her to date seems very stable.

oh yes, she will use the kids club; she loves them! We've done 3 cruises and she really loves both the kids club staff and meeting new buddies. I have had to drag her away for dinner on occasion!

I think 'restful' is what I'm after which is why a fjords cruise appeals, it just seems a slower pace of things than frenetic Mediterranean adventure type stuff. I think Azura is a pretty big ship, tho obviously the biggest is Britannia, which is the one we had the Bay of Biscay seasick nightmare on haha!!!

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Our daughter has been to the fjords aged 4, 7 and 9. She didn't do any kids club stuff, but still had a great time.

Both the oil museum and sardine canning museum in Stavanger are great for kids. Floyen in Bergen, Flaam train, road train in Olden, Gerainger bus trip, walked on a glacier (not possible now as it has retreated), boat trips etc etc.

oh yes, she will use the kids club; she loves them! We've done 3 cruises and she really loves both the kids club staff and meeting new buddies. I have had to drag her away for dinner on occasion!

I think 'restful' is what I'm after which is why a fjords cruise appeals, it just seems a slower pace of things than frenetic Mediterranean adventure type stuff. I think Azura is a pretty big ship, tho obviously the biggest is Britannia, which is the one we had the Bay of Biscay seasick nightmare on haha!!!

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Sounds like a great plan then. We loved the Fjords and would do them again in a heartbeat. It's such a relaxing trip that we found that a week felt like a fortnight. I wouldn't let the prospect of rough seas deter you as it's quite unlikely at that time of year and Azura would cope well if it was.

We did the Fjords last April on Britannia and liked it so much that we are doing it again this year. On Britannia there were children but to be honest we hardly saw any as they were too busy with the children's club.

If your daughter don't do 'clubs' she will be happy just looking at the wonderful views of the Fjords and ports visited. If you do go both you and your daughter will love it I'm sure.

This may be off topic, but if you've not been on a cruise before and your son doesn't like a stressed atmosphere then you really need to avoid breakfast in the buffet area on sea days at peak times. It has been manic on every ship we have been on. Sorry if this sounds stupid but I thought it would be helpful to flag it up.

Do it do it do it do it:D Norway is so cool,,and not just temperature wise! I've done it twice now,,once on Britannia and once on Azura,,captain of Azura said heavy seas one night but Azura never moved,,she was as steady as a rock. Am doing it again this May on her. There's loads of stuff to do with kids in and around the fjord ports,,boats, kayaks, RIB boat rides,,all sorts of things. We're going with friends who have 3 kids,,8yr old twins and a 12 yr old and they are very excited about it! In Bergen if you get the funicular up to the top of mount Floyen(?) there is a troll trail that is a nice way to pass an hour or two..and then if you like fish you could have lunch at the fish market and pick what you want and then have it cooked for you. I had salmon caught that morning with salad and it was yummy.

We have done the fjords twice, sadly in inside cabins. There was plenty of rain and some of the ports were small but we loved it. The first was on Aurora in 2005, it went right up to the North Pole and the captain did a detour on the way back through an ice fjord leading to an amazing cul-de-sac of ice where which was truly breathtaking and the most amazing experience of my life. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took our children on their (not our) first cruise last year to Norway. It was 2 weeks up to the North cape but we called into the Fjords too. They loved it and, like us, didn't want to come home. They were 11 and 14 at the time and it was a good mix of time with us and time in their club. Socially, it's a great option as cruising is a great way of meeting others. On cruise ships, people readily chat to each other. There are often social gatherings for solo travellers too.

At the ports...petrol museum at Stavanger, little train in olden, proper train in flam, red bus tour in gerainger...the Fjords are perfect for not booking a ship excursion (which are expensive).

Cruise ships handle rough weather well and I found my children loved a bit of movement.

Be prepared for uk weather...it could be hot, it could be wet.

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done the fjords twice, sadly in inside cabins. There was plenty of rain and some of the ports were small but we loved it. The first was on Aurora in 2005, it went right up to the North Pole and the captain did a detour on the way back through an ice fjord leading to an amazing cul-de-sac of ice where which was truly breathtaking and the most amazing experience of my life. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You cruised all the way to the North Pole? Now that's a cruise I want to do!

We are doing a Northern Lights trip on Aurora next year (sadly, just within the Arctic Circle), but I feel reassured now that I know that Aurora is such a fantastic ice breaker :D

On a serious note though, this thread has turned into a discussion about North Cape / Northern Lights cruises, which are a different cruise experience and at a different time of year. On a Summer Fjords cruise you will not enter the Arctic Circle, will not see snow (other than the tops of mountains) let alone ice fields, ice bergs etc

You will, however, see spectacular scenery and enjoy very peaceful surroundings. Even the cities are tranquil. We couldn't believe the lack of traffic in Norway. It's like the pictures you see of the roads in the UK in the 1950's before mass car ownership took hold (political correctness prevents me from stating the other contributory factor) :)

We have been on Med (Western, Central & Eastern) / Canaries / Baltic and Fjords cruises, all with P&O. Baltic was our favourite (different cultures, especially Russia, and very interesting countries and great scenery on the sail ins / outs) but Fjords was a reasonably close 2nd. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Go ahead. You won't be disappointed. You know that your child enjoys the kids Club (so the destination in some ways doesn't matter) and you are after a rest. As I said in an earlier post, we found that a 7 day Fjord cruise felt like a fortnight and we loved it all.

I think you both will love it. If the weather is fine on your sea days it is very relaxing sitting out on deck watching the sea & the oil & gas rigs passing by (really!)

I love Norway & would go there every year if I could.

Which ports is the ship calling at?

Eeeek!! I've ended up booking the week of 21-28 August as balcony cabin was about 100 each cheaper and it didn't really matter to me which week of the summer hols we went.

Our ports of call are:

Stavanger, Olden, Andalsnes, Bergen

Any top tips from you seasoned fjords-goers?

Thanks again :p

Stavanger is lovely and it took us four hours to slowly walk around the place. Make sure when you go to the little white houses (you can't miss them) to smooth and pat the cat and dog that sits on the benches outside awaiting the cruise ship passengers

Bergen is beautiful but when you go to the coloured shops make sure you don't just dismiss the alleyways between them as just alleyways because they are not. A whole new world awaits and it's fascinating to see what lies between and behind the shops.

You will love the cruise :)