Basic PG Questions ???

zacho46

I am considering a cruise to the south Pacific aboard the Paul Gauguin and welcome some help. First, when is the best time of the year for weather in the area? Second, do you have any cabin suggestions? Finally, do you have any pre- or post- cruise recommendations?

I look forward to all feedback - positive or negative - about the PG voyage. Thanks very much for the assistance. Previous postings on the PG have been of great value.

You can't have a more fabulous cruise than on the Paul Gauguin. It is a wonderful ship; in my opinion, the best of all RSSC ships. The winter months have more rain but it's a crapshoot. We went in November and had one rainy day in 2 weeks. If you can swing it, get a balcony cabin. It is great having coffee on the balcony as you are coming into port and cocktails at sunset. But all the cabins are very nice. A pre-cruise is a good consideration as you have time to recover from jet-lag and can board earlier and get unpacked and explore the ship. Some folks have suggested flying out Friday and not hanging around with a day room etc then flying out Saturday night. I wish we had done so as the whole day Saturday is mostly a waste. Dealing with that *** airport and the red-eye flight was a real bummer after a perfect vacation. Moorea would be my suggestion for a pre-cruise stop.

I would also suggest Moorea as the perfect pre-cruise choice. It's closer to Tahiti, and thus the package is a bit more reasonably priced, and the island is fabulous. But at the least, come in a day before and have a rest on Tahiti.

We have always gone for an E cabin, which has a window but no balcony. The balconies come at a very large premium, so it's your choice--I love balconies, but not on that ship--last time we traded up to a back-to-back, I would rather have two weeks at a reasonable price than one at a much higher price. The window cabins are all the same size as the C balcony cabins, by the way.

As for time of year, as trinidad mentioned, it's a crapshoot. But January - April is definitely hotter and more humid, and more prone to rain. But the weather, despite the humidity, is usually gorgeous. The locals prefer the "winter" (June to August), which is milder and less humid. But that makes it high season, of course. We have been twice in May-June, and it was lovely.

Trinidad and Wendy, thank you very much for the suggestions. The more I read and hear, the more interest I have in this cruise. My TA has sent the pricing and other details, and I'm getting closer to a decision. Thanks very much!

Zach

While I haven't yet cruised on the PG (that's coming this June!) I have vacationed in FP. Their winter is our summer and visa versa because of their location in the southern hemisphere. I HIGHLY recommend late May-late August. I was there for a few weeks one June and the weather was cooler, drier, and perfect. Sunset is early-ish though, I think about 6:30, but other than having a shorter day, in my opinion their winter months are the BEST time to go.

PS--As someone who MUST have a balcony, I'd hoped for a C but due to having 3 of us in a cabin, we had to move up to a B that has the required double-double and sleeper sofa. It's one of the brand-new ones (7003) and the only B on deck 7 (RIGHT next to the bridge--I hope the captain tip-toes when he walks past :D ). I'll report back on what it's like once we're there. According to my notes, it's larger in cabin size than a standard B but the balcony is somewhat smaller, but that suits our situation just fine.

(June to August), which is milder and less humid. But that makes it high season, of course. We have been twice in May-June, and it was lovely.

I second this. Our airplanes are packed FULL both ways, and we couldn't get an overwater or lagoon bungalow for our 2-day pre-cruise stay at the IC. The best they could do for us was a garden view room, claiming high season. So if you're going to visit during high season, reserve everything 6 months out or earlier.

I did a 3-day pre-cruise on Bora Bora at Le Meridien - incredible view from my OTW Bungalow (see attachment).:eek:

I'd definitelly do a PRE-cruise as opposed to POST-cruise. The dissapointment going from superb PG food to on-shore, VERY expensive, mediocre quality food & service is daunting.

Also be aware that you can upgrade each way on Air Tahiti Nui flights (from/to LAX) for $600 at the airport but you have to be just about first in line.

For the amount of time I spent in the cabin, and the fact that the decks are so close, I didn't find the balcony necessary.

BBSMALL.JPG.6a1e0decb43ad4495a0cf8d9a47f9318.JPG

These are terrific suggestions and I look forward to reading about flydreamer's experience. The upgrade opportunity seems ideal (if you can get it) as published business class fares are very high. Also, I've read about the OTW bungalows and a pre- or post-cruise stay here should be absolutely amazing!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Archived