Big Disappointment on Navigator of the Seas

Do you think I should complain to RCI about these issues?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think I should complain to RCI about these issues?

• YES!!
    • Maybe, it does seem to be out of the ordinary
    • Probably not worth it
    • No, it wasn't that bad!

I recently took the 5 night cruise from FLL on Navigator of the Seas on Feb 12th This was my 6th cruise with Royal Caribbean and have never had any complaints with them, only praise. I have recommended over 20 people to cruise with them, and at least 10 of them have gone on to become members with them. This will be the first time I plan on writing a letter with complaints about unacceptable behavior.

I wanted to recap a few details of my complaints. Many bathrooms smell of old urine, the toilets do not work, and half the bathrooms are closed with signs saying out of order. There was trash in hallways, and there were musty old smells in many areas. My room had drawers that not only did not work, but were falling off the hinges. My room mini bar had bottles that had been half drunken out of, and I had to argue that I didn't drink them!! They became mad and jerked them out the room.

I had a waiter roll his eyes at me when I asked what the ice cream of the day was, ( I never did find out what it was, I was just given rainbow sherbet) bar staff would not accept my platinum coupon for buy one get one free drink, because an edge had been torn. I never received any perks that a platinum member should receive, no robes, no gift, no invite for special parties, no special disembark area, no recognition whatsoever. And when I went to possibly book another cruise with the crown and anchor society host, she never thanked me for sailing with them, never referred to me by my name, and never asked me how I enjoyed my cruise. Even after I asked for a piece of tape to tape the edge of the coupon, all she did was give me a new coupon and say she had never heard of any problems I had encored.

I am shocked at how rude most of the staff was,even when I would tip extra for drinks, (I usually give at least an extra dollar) They would look at it and act as if I was a stingy person. I am so sad to think this is what RC has become. :(

I recently took the 5 night cruise from FLL on Navigator of the Seas on Feb 12th This was my 6th cruise with Royal Caribbean and have never had any complaints with them, only praise. I have recommended over 20 people to cruise with them, and at least 10 of them have gone on to become members with them. This will be the first time I plan on writing a letter with complaints about unacceptable behavior.

I wanted to recap a few details of my complaints. Many bathrooms smell of old urine, the toilets do not work, and half the bathrooms are closed with signs saying out of order. There was trash in hallways, and there were musty old smells in many areas. My room had drawers that not only did not work, but were falling off the hinges. My room mini bar had bottles that had been half drunken out of, and I had to argue that I didn't drink them!! They became mad and jerked them out the room.

I had a waiter roll his eyes at me when I asked what the ice cream of the day was, ( I never did find out what it was, I was just given rainbow sherbet) bar staff would not accept my platinum coupon for buy one get one free drink, because an edge had been torn. I never received any perks that a platinum member should receive, no robes, no gift, no invite for special parties, no special disembark area, no recognition whatsoever. And when I went to possibly book another cruise with the crown and anchor society host, she never thanked me for sailing with them, never referred to me by my name, and never asked me how I enjoyed my cruise. Even after I asked for a piece of tape to tape the edge of the coupon, all she did was give me a new coupon and say she had never heard of any problems I had encored.

I am shocked at how rude most of the staff was,even when I would tip extra for drinks, (I usually give at least an extra dollar) They would look at it and act as if I was a stingy person. I am so sad to think this is what RC has become. :(

I'm sorry to hear that you had a disappointing cruise! I do have to say that I am puzzled by your review. :confused: We disembarked the Navigator on the 12th after having an amazing cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed both the ship and the staff!

Wowie. Did your ship hit the Bermuda Triangle!? I do assume you made all these things clear in the guest satisfaction survey? A letter might help as well. Lisa Bauer is the SVP of Hotel Operations. She might be your best contact. Be polite in your letter and explain all of the issues you encountered and don't forget to mention your C&A status and previous cruises. Everyone has bad days, but it sounds like the entire ship was at a 180 of where it should have been. Sorry you had a bad trip, but I hope your next cruise is much better.

I'm leaning toward yes, you should complain. We all know 2 people can have 2 different experiences on the same cruise, and yours was sub par due to the staff you encountered. Hopefully, you got names. Also, if the drawers, etc were broken in your room, it needs to be fixed, or else everyone else staying in that room will have the same experience. If not just for your own satisfaction, due it for the sake of others who may be in the same room or have the same waiters.

I consider this unacceptable - did you complain to the head of housekeeping on day one? If you complain about something to the person in charge and nothing is done about it, then you have a legitimate gripe - if you waited until after the cruise, then I have no sympathy.

I had a waiter roll his eyes at me when I asked what the ice cream of the day was, ( I never did find out what it was, I was just given rainbow sherbet)

Did you complain to the head waiter when it happened? Again, things like this must be addressed when they happen (and I would be real upset as I like my ice cream).

bar staff would not accept my platinum coupon for buy one get one free drink, because an edge had been torn.

Again you should have asked for a supervisor at the time it happened.

I never received any perks that a platinum member should receive, no robes, no gift, no invite for special parties, no special disembark area, no recognition whatsoever.

Did you ask your room steward for a robe? We were platinum and in a JS once and didn't get robes - had to ask and they appeared. Gifts haven't been given in about a year or so. There should have been a welcome back party. Never been on Navegator, so I don't know if they have a special disembark area - did you ask??

And when I went to possibly book another cruise with the crown and anchor society host, she never thanked me for sailing with them, never referred to me by my name, and never asked me how I enjoyed my cruise. Even after I asked for a piece of tape to tape the edge of the coupon, all she did was give me a new coupon and say she had never heard of any problems I had encored.

Oh, come on, now - this one is totally off base. Did you want her to kiss your ring or something?

Sorry you had a bad cruise - I tried to intersperse my comments into your post - wish I knew how to make them a different color.

Definitely let the cruise line know of your experience. On one of our first cruises on the Voyager, we had a royal cocktail card (basically a pre-paid cocktail card that included the gratuity) and everywhere we went the wait staff "rolled" their eyes at us despite tipping a $1 or $2 on top of using the card. We commented on our survey and received an email apology later.

I am in customer service and I would want to know if my service was not up to par or how I could improve the quality of your vacation. :)

Is it April 1 already? This has got to be a joke. We sailed NOS only a month ago and she was in great shape.

Obviously it's not April nor is this a joke. A cruiser had one bad experience, this was not a month ago, it also was not the cruise you where on. I just don't get some people on these boards.....:confused:

I'm a little confused here. The conditions you described are horrible but you booked a next cruise? I guess you are going with the flow and giving them another chance.

The OP stated in her original post that she loved RCCL, why not give it another shot. Every ship, every trip is different.

That being said, I think you should make RCCL aware of your experience, simple as that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP isn't exaggerating. I've been on the Navigator twice and it's my least favorite ship. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed my trips very much, but some ship has to come in last place and it's her. The crew just never seemed as friendly as the other ships, I've always noticed considerable wear and just overall the trip pretty mediocre. Its curious how the experience can differ from the Navigator and Mariner. Theyre identical but the Mariners crew was fantastic and the ship was amazing.

I would definately send a letter of complaint. I would also enclose pictures of the drawers, the rest rooms, the trash, and everything you found problematic.

I would also post those pictures on CC.

I wasn't likely in the same cabin as the OP, but ours last month was in great shape, other than the balcony rails, which I have heard about from many others. I constantly saw people fixing up little things here and there, which indicated they like to keep on top of the various things than can break on a large, high volume ship like this.

I will agree about the people in the future cruise sales department. I didn't get any kind of warm fuzzy from either of them, inspite of letting them know this was our first RCI cruise and I wanted to book an open future cruise. In fact, I still haven't received the certificates in my email, despite the $200 being charged to my credit card on Jan 14.

But anyway, if you feel the service wasn't up to what you've exected from your prior cruises with RCI, by all means, write a letter.

I wasn't likely in the same cabin as the OP, but ours last month was in great shape, other than the balcony rails, which I have heard about from many others. I constantly saw people fixing up little things here and there, which indicated they like to keep on top of the various things than can break on a large, high volume ship like this.

I will agree about the people in the future cruise sales department. I didn't get any kind of warm fuzzy from either of them, inspite of letting them know this was our first RCI cruise and I wanted to book an open future cruise. In fact, I still haven't received the certificates in my email, despite the $200 being charged to my credit card on Jan 14.

But anyway, if you feel the service wasn't up to what you've exected from your prior cruises with RCI, by all means, write a letter.

They still haven't varnished the balcony rails, then? We were on the Navigator TA in October and thought they had stripped them to prepare for re-finishing. I am surprised about that. I wonder why that is?

After reading your posts, and others responding, I do think you should respond with your complaints. You are obviously not a person who complains over trivial stuff. With that said, I would say you will only get a nice letter and maybe some discount coupons, and the satisfaction (which makes me feel good) you have expressed your displeasure. RCI is getting so big, more a business than personal compansion to your bad experience. I will say in my experience I have run into the same several problems. It has come from where employees are at the end of their contract, unhappy with there job and ready to go home and not renew their contract. They get a bad attitude toward service and unfortunately we as passsengers are the recipient. I remember when our assistant waiter come up to the dancing under the stars event, drank, partied with us and could care less about being fired as it was his last week. Acutally, after hearing about the hard work and how good we have it here in the US felt sort of sorry. But, with that said, we pay for a service, and don't won't this attitude on a regular basis. Have sailed many times since then and find it not the norm. Wouldn't let it bother me and continue to cruise with RCI. UNITIL, it becomes the norm, then time to change cruise lines.

Dave

. In fact, I still haven't received the certificates in my email, despite the $200 being charged to my credit card on Jan 14.

Strange! I booked a NextCruise on Radiance and they handed me the certificate along with the two Friends and Family certificates and a brochure on Onboard Booking Bonus all in an envelope. Did you meet with the Loyalty Amb. in person or just get a application and drop it off?

I think I would call them about that one and I would definitely let them know had I had a cruise like the OP did! :eek:

Wow. A platinum member after only 6 cruises. Baloney.

Well number one who really cares what we think , we were not there we didnt pay for the cruise , everyone has different levels of what to expect . I didnt even vote in your poll . But if it was that bad I would have to think long and hard about giving RCI more of my cruise /vacation dollars. I am going to be on that ship in a few days and if its that bad and i really doubt it as i had friend who is a diamond plus and was just on the ship a few weeks ago and loved it , except for the pub , they said he was bad lol and he is picky. I will be cancelling my one in Oct.

I'm sure it was not up to par for you , but I take reviews like this with a grain of salt, no offense.

Archived